Author Topic: Planes  (Read 10287 times)

Offline radguy

Planes
« on: July 24, 2011, 04:16:53 PM »
Here are a few planes I came across today.

Donlap

. by radguy1, on Flickr

. by radguy1, on Flickr

Craftsman

. by radguy1, on Flickr

. by radguy1, on Flickr

Stanley #7

. by radguy1, on Flickr

. by radguy1, on Flickr

Stanley #5

. by radguy1, on Flickr

. by radguy1, on Flickr

Unknown

. by radguy1, on Flickr

. by radguy1, on Flickr

Another unknown

. by radguy1, on Flickr

. by radguy1, on Flickr

And another

. by radguy1, on Flickr

. by radguy1, on Flickr

Any help on these would be appreciated.

Dan

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
Re: Planes
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 10:26:32 PM »
Well the Dunlap is maybe not a very good plane.  Sears was taking the lowest bidder.
 The Craftsman might be better. Its likely a Miller's Falls even though Miller's second line (cheaper made). It can be made to work though.
 The Stanley planes can both be superb performing planes, but will probably need parts to restore. 
  The transitional plane (1/2 metal, 1/2 wood) if not a Stanley is probably a Sargent and can be made into a good performing plane.
 The wooden plane is a fore plane or short jointer. Excellent plane whoever made it (are you sure it isn't marked?)
 The last plane is a Shelton. Boat anchor, don't even try to fix it up.

None of the planes are worth over $15 each in this condition.
 yours Scott

Offline radguy

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 08:11:39 AM »
Thanks Scott!  At this time I don't have any plans on cleaning up the planes. They are not really my cup of tea. So I will most likely sell or trade them.

Dan

Offline oldtoolguy

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 11:20:52 PM »
The transitional planes look like Stanleys and should have the name & number stamped in the front end.

Mel

Offline bird

• Contributor
  • Resident Rambler
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 02:06:20 AM »
Here are a few planes I came across today.

Donlap

. by radguy1, on Flickr

. by radguy1, on Flickr

Craftsman

. by radguy1, on Flickr

. by radguy1, on Flickr

Stanley #7

. by radguy1, on Flickr

. by radguy1, on Flickr

Stanley #5

. by radguy1, on Flickr

. by radguy1, on Flickr

Unknown

. by radguy1, on Flickr

. by radguy1, on Flickr

Another unknown

. by radguy1, on Flickr

. by radguy1, on Flickr

And another

. by radguy1, on Flickr

. by radguy1, on Flickr

Any help on these would be appreciated.

Dan

Hey there,
    I have to figure out how to say this right.  ...  If you aren't a woodworker, why bother buying them? I don't want that to sound mean at all. Planes with a "wood bottom" have the advantage of being able to be "jointed" flat, again.  As for plane irons, that's an whole other story. I am probably amongst the few persons that believes planes can always become "usable" again.  But, I'm one of the few. And, if you rely on me, you're screwed!!!
best of luck,
bird
Silent bidder extraordinaire!
"Aunt birdie, I think you're the best loser ever!!!!!!"

Offline radguy

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 05:45:01 PM »
I came accross the planes when I was sorting through stuff my dad had stored. I have a nice Rockwell electric panel plane with an attachment to do edges.

Dan

Offline bird

• Contributor
  • Resident Rambler
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 11:41:54 PM »
I came accross the planes when I was sorting through stuff my dad had stored. I have a nice Rockwell electric panel plane with an attachment to do edges.

Dan

Once again, I lack intelligence. What is an "electric panel plane?"
cheers, bird

Offline Branson

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2011, 09:33:16 AM »
Bird wrote:

"Planes with a "wood bottom" have the advantage of being able to be "jointed" flat, again.  As for plane irons, that's an whole other story. I am probably amongst the few persons that believes planes can always become "usable" again." 

Sounds true to me.  I chuckle reading the old Audel's Carpentry Manual.  The author writes that you should have a metal plane so that you can true up the wooden planes that are best to use.  Not that he's opinionated...

Especially in my student days, the tools I could afford came from yard sales and flea markets.  Had to make a lot of them usable again.  Shoot, 25 years ago my Stanley 5 1/2 C fell off the back of a fork lift and snapped at the throat.  Got it brazed back together and it has remained one of my favorite planes.

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2011, 09:06:11 PM »

Dan

cheers, bird

I am not sure about the word "panel", but electric hand planes came(come)  in a few versions.
  The standard probably everyone is familiar with. About a 3 1/2" blade and fairly short bed. Maybe 12" long overall and for sale anywhere tools are sold right now.
Then there are the older style, mostly made for fitting doors.  These use a narrower blade set and are more the length of a jack plane  They made these as dedicated tools from several companies,  and also Rockwell used to make one with a removeable motor you could take off and put into the supplied router base and serve two duties with one motor. Again this was aimed at the door industry. A plane to trim the door and a router to cut the hinge mortices.  I think the most complete kit also came with a hinge template set you would bolt to the door and use to keep the mortices evenly spaced.
   yours Scott

Offline bird

• Contributor
  • Resident Rambler
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 09:49:56 PM »

Dan

cheers, bird

I am not sure about the word "panel", but electric hand planes came(come)  in a few versions.
  The standard probably everyone is familiar with. About a 3 1/2" blade and fairly short bed. Maybe 12" long overall and for sale anywhere tools are sold right now.
Then there are the older style, mostly made for fitting doors.  These use a narrower blade set and are more the length of a jack plane  They made these as dedicated tools from several companies,  and also Rockwell used to make one with a removeable motor you could take off and put into the supplied router base and serve two duties with one motor. Again this was aimed at the door industry. A plane to trim the door and a router to cut the hinge mortices.  I think the most complete kit also came with a hinge template set you would bolt to the door and use to keep the mortices evenly spaced.
   yours Scott

Thank you, Scott,
  I have/ had  never heard of an" electric plane" before. I guess I'm both happy and proud that I have the "non-electric" hand planes to use!!!
cheers, bird

Offline Branson

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 07:45:49 AM »
Thank you, Scott,
  I have/ had  never heard of an" electric plane" before. I guess I'm both happy and proud that I have the "non-electric" hand planes to use!!!
cheers, bird
[/quote]

A funny and sad story regarding electric planes.   Some years ago, a fellow bought a new front door (before the days when commercial doors came with the frame regularly).  The company sent the door with a fellow to install and fit it.  The guy who brought the door discovered that he hadn't brought his electric plane.  The customer offered him a well tuned Stanley to use instead.  The installer didn't know how to use the Stanley, and drove back to the shop, 30 minutes each way, to get the electric plane.

Sheesh!  I had a licensed contractor once ask me why the plane he had just bought had two blades.  I had to explain to him that it had only one blade, that the other thing was a cap iron...

Offline rusty

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 05:29:20 PM »

Half the guys out there can't even mortice a hinge opening any more. I just finished a small job where some previous hack split half the door frames trying to make the oversized hinges fit in the mortices...yeash....wood chisel, mallet, it's not that flipping hard....*sigh*

(Unfortunatly, it's 10 times harder to make it nice after the last guy has made a big mess out of it, grr)
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline bird

• Contributor
  • Resident Rambler
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, 10:17:50 PM »

Half the guys out there can't even mortice a hinge opening any more. I just finished a small job where some previous hack split half the door frames trying to make the oversized hinges fit in the mortices...yeash....wood chisel, mallet, it's not that flipping hard....*sigh*

(Unfortunatly, it's 10 times harder to make it nice after the last guy has made a big mess out of it, grr)

"Mortise a hinge?????"  Really, should it be that foreign to current "carpenters?"  OH, what is the world coming to?
cheers, bird

Offline Branson

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2011, 09:52:14 AM »
"Mortise a hinge?????"  Really, should it be that foreign to current "carpenters?"  OH, what is the world coming to?
cheers, bird

Pre-hung doors from Home Depot. 

Offline rusty

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2011, 04:40:05 PM »

The china made 'residential grade' hinges are so thin now you can just screw them to the door and frame sans mortice these days.....
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.