Author Topic: Spokeshaves  (Read 7108 times)

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
Spokeshaves
« on: September 19, 2011, 11:16:48 AM »
I got a message from Brian this morning. 64Longstep Brian, our bladesmith, blacksmith, woodworker and friend.
 So I started typing and realized not only was it going to be long, but maybe others might want to hear the tale as well.

the question:
I want to see about picking up a wooden 3” flat spoke shave, what kind of price should I expect to pay for one in user condition?
Brian- 

Morning Brian
 Depends of course heehe
 Do you really need a 3" blade, or is that just a generalization? Most you will see are between 2 1/2 and 3" and there isn't much difference in use. If you really have your heart set on 3" it will be a little harder.
  Then there is body material.  Beech is overwhelmingly common. Never pay more then $15 for a standard beech shave, English or American either one, but especially British. There literally thousands available at any given time.

A Fields out of Baltimore made shaves from fruitwood around the civil war. Really nice, and elegantly shaped, and these go for a bargain sometimes. I got one in near mint for 10 bucks once and it was a 9" shave (1 1/2 blade)!

My favorite factory made shave wood is boxwood. All of these will be British, but the box is so classy when polished. And yes you can polish box on a rag buff with compound.  If you lurk and dangle your hook in the water long enough, one will come cheap enough. I bought 4 of them last year and none were over $25.

When it comes to wooden shaves, a lot of modern guys are afraid of stick tang shaves. They are always looking for tangs with adjuster nuts. This is kind of silly, or excessively paranoid from people who don't use one often or ever really. In the lifetime of a shave you only set the blade to use it once for each go-round and only tap the blade all the way out when it needs to be sharpened. So they last a very long time.  When the tang mortices do become too sloppy to hold its a simple matter of gluing in tiny slivers of wood. on this box shave I set in tiny slivers of ebony to match the mouth patch I also did on this one. I expect this repair to last the rest of my life, and thensome.

While you are looking, let me recommend a big one too. 4-5" blade coopers shaves are much harder to find than standard woodworkers shaves but if you get one you will never believe you got by without. Mine in the very first tool I hand any one to try when they come into my shop. Its so effortless and peels away big curls first time everytime. I have been known to peel off wood from behind my back (kind of like Jimi Hendrix heh) just for fun/show. But practically every handle I carve and many other things too, this shave is always used inbetween drawknife and smaller shave.  Its like the scrub/jack plane of spokeshaves. Powerful, fast and yet accurate and smooth as well.

If you can manage to get to a tool show, you should be able to load up a grocery sack of unwanted, damaged shaves for less than the gas money it took you to get there. $2-3 dollars apiece at most. Most of these will have perfectly serviceable blades in them. Making your own shave body is a fun project. Making one work?? Well that part you do in minutes. A guy used to tour the country and help people make a shave body that worked in a couple hours tops. Starting from absolute scratch, to a body that works, in the middle of a show/seminar setting, and everyone came away with a working tool. 
 From there you can shape your body any way you like. I have seen many interesting designs.
 I have to tell you though, the early English (and a -few- American too) shave carvers had it down to a deceptively elegant science that is not as simple to carve as it appears.  Still fun and the usability of whatever you carve is a given. 
 Here is the resurrected Johnny Gunterman webpage.
  http://web.archive.org/web/20011214105351/http://www.shavings.net/teachshave.htm

Expect to pay $25-40 dollars for a new blade. Hock and several others make them. All with threaded tangs for the newbies, of course.  But you are going to get your first for nearly free. I know it.

I wrote this so long ago I am not even positive what it says anymore, but here you go anyway :)
 I think it at least tells about the little blades I make sometimes.
   http://www.snowcrest.net/kitty/sgrandstaff/spokeshaves.htm

Of course, this is all just preliminary.
  I fully expect to see Longstep large shave blades soon, hopefully in my mailbox!!!!  4 X 3/4", 1/4" thick please.

And a 5" I need a full 5+ x 1" too.  :) 

I don't need threads.  heeheheheheeh

yours Scott

Offline 64longstep/Brian

• Contributor
  • Phoenix Arizona
Re: Spokeshaves
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 01:42:14 PM »
Thank you for the information. I am in need of a small spokeshave to be able to shape and profile my wooden knife handles…
Brian-

If all else fails use a bigger hammer…
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline 64longstep/Brian

• Contributor
  • Phoenix Arizona
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 02:18:32 PM »
I really like this small shave, that is the size of shave I would like to have…

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 02:50:36 PM »
Brian
 You actually need a selection, an arsenal of shaves.
 Yes you definitely need a small one.  Or several really.
 But med and even large will find their place soon enough.

I carved the little one in the pix from rosewood. Overall, its 6" long.
  I used one of my homemade blades. Its 1" wide.  Threaded tangs because it was easier at the time. (I used an old Stanley plane blade for it).   
 I'm pretty sure the story of all that is on my shave page, that I posted earlier.
  yours Scott

Offline 64longstep/Brian

• Contributor
  • Phoenix Arizona
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 05:42:57 PM »
What would you recommend that I pick up?

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 09:00:31 PM »
Brian
 Very small wood bodies shaves are hard to find. This is why I made one from scratch. I found the boxwood Marples later. 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-MINIATURE-SPOKE-SHAVE-MARPLES-/190577605975?pt=UK_Collectable_ToolsHasdware_RL&hash=item2c5f4f7d57
 I'd suggest you try a regular 2 1/2 to 3" beech spokeshave to start. It might be the most universal of all.
 I would roll the front lip ahead of the blade some, for curves, and a bit behind as well.
 Flat sole spokeshaves aren't really very useful.  You can still do concave curves fine with a round sole shave. But you can't do concave curves with a flat one.
  Then I would get a pattermakers round sole brass shave. These are about 4" bodies with 1" wide blades.  I would be lost without mine.
 I can;t believe there are none for sale on ebay right now to show you.

The beech shave will cost you more in postage than the shave and the brass will cost you about 15 but the postage will be 2 bucks.

This one is clean and has good blade depth front to back, so it isn't worn at all.
 http://www.ebay.com/itm/old-vintage-antique-spokeshave-metal-blade-wood-wooden-handle-hand-tool-plane-/150659923963?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item231407fffb

yours Scott

Offline 64longstep/Brian

• Contributor
  • Phoenix Arizona
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 09:14:21 PM »
I really appreciate your input, I will start to pick them up as I can… 
Brian-

Offline Branson

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 08:57:23 AM »
   This one is clean and has good blade depth front to back, so it isn't worn at all.
 http://www.ebay.com/itm/old-vintage-antique-spokeshave-metal-blade-wood-wooden-handle-hand-tool-plane-/150659923963?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item231407fffb
  yours Scott

Looks like it once had a brass wear plate in front of the throat -- see the two holes there?  I think we could do better than the two roofing nails to make the blade tangs tight...  But the price is less than the cost of a blade, and the handle looks sound.

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 12:33:17 PM »
Oh drat, I posted the wrong one!!
  Here you go, try this
 http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-VINTAGE-SPOKESHAVE-/150662838059?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item231434772b

Roof nails, as if!!
 I was just watching that, in case the blade alone went cheap enough.

Thanks for the save Branson!! Sheesh!
 yours Scott

Offline keykeeper

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 05:21:41 PM »
I know they aren't as pretty, but I have two metal body shaves. One is a Stanley flat blade. The other is a combo, with one flat blade and one curved blade. I'll have to get them out of the shed and take a pic or two.

Are they good for anything, Scott?

Edit: Here they are. Stanley No. 80 and the unknown combo.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 05:38:28 PM by keykeeper »
-Aaron C.

My vintage tool Want list:
Wards Master Quality 1/2" drive sockets (Need size 5/8), long extension, & speeder handle.
-Vlchek WB* series double box wrenches.
-Hinsdale double-box end round shank wrenches.

Online Jim C.

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 06:07:21 PM »
Hi Keykeeper,

Actually the first tool you've shown us looks like a Stanley #80 scraper.  When properly tuned, and with the correct burr on the cutter, it's capable of producing extremely fine shavings that will float to the floor.  Stanley made the #80 from 1898 well into the 1980s.  It's a proven tool for sure.  The second tool is a spokeshave and looks like the Stanley #60 manufactured between 1870 and 1958.  Nice tools.

Jim C.
Our Go-To Type Study Member

Offline keykeeper

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2011, 06:13:01 PM »
Jim:

Yes, it is a No. 80. The backplate that holds the iron is marked with the "Sweetheart" logo. So, it's a scraper and not a shave. Cool.

-Aaron C.

My vintage tool Want list:
Wards Master Quality 1/2" drive sockets (Need size 5/8), long extension, & speeder handle.
-Vlchek WB* series double box wrenches.
-Hinsdale double-box end round shank wrenches.

Offline 64longstep/Brian

• Contributor
  • Phoenix Arizona
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2011, 06:18:07 PM »
That two in one looks like it would be great for shaping my knife handles...

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2011, 08:09:13 PM »
I know they aren't as pretty, but I have two metal body shaves. One is a Stanley flat blade. The other is a combo, with one flat blade and one curved blade. I'll have to get them out of the shed and take a pic or two.

Are they good for anything, Scott?

I'm the wrong person to ask if you want some kind of preference.
 I hardly ever met a spokeshave I didn't like.
  Iron ones are great. Brass is great. I use them all!!
 There aren't as many fans of the double shaves, they often go cheap.
 But one of the cutters is convex, and a vertically round shave of any kind is hard to find.
  Roy Underhill favors a double shave for his show, as well. 

Stanley made a gahzillion straight shaves. The number 51 alone was made in the hundreds of thousands.
So they don't corral a lot of money, but I use one several times a week so for cutting wood they are truly effective.

Spokeshaves are hardly ever highly valuable to sell, but they just work so well when tuned up....... Ya gotta love em!

Stanley #80 framed scrapers get little respect.
  But I for one have no idea why!!
  I use one so often I keep three of them!  I once scraped the surfaces of 30, 4x4foot filter press plates, both sides (I used to work in a water plant) that had been damaged by a moron with a heavy wire brush in an angle grinder. Chewed the crap out of the heavy plastic pates.
 The plates were ruined,  and we needed them to operate, and it was going to cost $30,000 to replace them.
 So I brought a #80 and spent 3 long work days scraping them smooth and true again.
 Saved the company 30 grand, you think they were grateful??

I have also scraped the UHMW cutting boards for the town butcher a couple times.

And this, which was a total wreck when I met it............
#80 and a hand scraper to strip the old crunchy dark crackled varnish clean.

The scraping only took a hour, but then the veneer repair began..............................
   yours Scott 

Offline Branson

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2011, 08:22:39 AM »
I'm with Scott here.  The only spoke shave I  ever met that I didn't much care for was a new German made Stanley clone.  I've been too spoiled by years of using good old Stanleys and other vintage shaves.  The new one didn't perform up to standards. 

I've been using spoke shaves for over 50 years now, and find them one of the handiest tools in the box -- along with a good drawknife or two.  The concave is useful for many a job.  Really good for tool handles...

Scrapers I've only been using for about 30 years, and I'm a fan of them.  A million uses, and half a million variations, from the stocked scrapers to un-stocked cabinet scrapers you can buy, to pieces of saw blades, sometimes putty  knives and even pieces of broken glass.  I've used them all.

A related tool is the scratch stock.  With one of these you can duplicate any molding around.  I have a Stanley 66 (very nice) but often as not I take a section of an old saw blade and grind the profile and use it by hand or put it in a stock I made (functions much like a marking gauge) .

> Saved the company 30 grand, you think they were grateful??

Yes.  But not where you could hear it.