Author Topic: Stanley #103  (Read 2654 times)

Offline Jim C.

Stanley #103
« on: September 03, 2011, 05:55:18 PM »
A few days ago we were talking about the Stanley #102 block plane.  Like we were saying, it's a low end plane that was most likely marketed to the "home handy man."  In an effort to fill every possible niche it could think of, Stanley made the #103.  It's basically the same plane as the #102, with the addition of a mechanical cutting iron adjuster.  The #103 was manufactured between 1876 and 1950.  Even though it had the adjuster feature, it was still a low end plane, that was mostly suited for light duty, home owner type work.

Some of you may recall that during our #102 discussion, we mentioned that #102 block planes are VERY often found in "well used" condition.  The same goes for the #103.  These planes were often sold to the DIYer at the local hardware store, and many suffered from abuse, neglect, and owner indifference.  That being said, provided these planes are not missing any parts and are not broken, they still will produce some satisfactory results under most light duty, basic woodworking circumstances.  With such a simple plane, half the battle is keeping the iron VERY sharp!! The other part of the battle is taking a light to moderate cut.

As you can see from the photo below, I've used my "as found beater" #103 to take a few very acceptable shavings from some straight grained pine.  Basic home owner stuff, for which this plane was initially designed.  The plane is from the 1920s and I found it on a farm in Wisconsin.  It cost me $2.  I simply brushed it off, put a couple drops of oil on the adjuster, sharpened the iron, and took a few light passes.  Pretty good results.  Obviously the plane isn't pretty, but nearly 80+ years later, the plane is still a good worker.  The point I'm trying to make is that these old timers are still pretty good, useable, tools.

Okay, the last few pictures are for those of you who like them in collector condition.  The shiny #103 is most probably from the late 1930s.  It came in its original box and is a part of my collection.  I bought this plane from another collector, and from what I can tell, it was used once or twice and never used  again.  The original owner probably thought a new plane right out of the box would cut easily and cleanly.  It didn't, but if he had REALLY sharpened the iron correctly, I'm sure the plane would have delivered pretty good results.  Thankfully, the plane just sat in its box, and was eventually saved by a collector.

Jim C.     
Our Go-To Type Study Member

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
Re: Stanley #103
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 10:24:49 AM »
I have a well used 103 that I can't quit using.
I have a couple dozen block planes. I have sold block planes off by the box lot as well.
--All-- are finer planes than the 103.
  But I use that little fart maybe as often as all the rest put together. 

In comparison, I have a Stanley 65. The general top dog of all Stanley blocks, and that is a very long list.
  Its low angle, its SW era, knuckle cap with bright shiny nickel.  I made a wooden shoe for it to save it from the bumps and bangs. Its been fettled out to the enth degree.
 I never use it.   

I keep a pair of #18's, one set coarse and the other fine. I keep a pair of #60 1/2's, set ditto.
I have antiques back to very early patterns, all fettled and ready to work.  I've got Sargent, Millers, plenty of block planes for every purpose.

I pick up that little 103 as often as any of them. It fits my hand like a glove.
 And contrary to popular belief, when properly set up,  a terrific range of jobs, it will do well.
  You may not believe it, but I have planed rosewood, boxwood and burl, lots of times with it.
  yours Scott 

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 12:09:11 PM »
Yeah ScottG, I think the #103 is a good little plane, that's why I bought that "user" for $2.  It's nice for a quick pass on small stuff.  I mostly use mine on small to medium sized work when I'm outside in the yard (making flower boxes, taking the edges off a tomato plant stake, etc.  It's small and very handy.  For furniture and finer work, I still like the low angle, heavier planes like the #65.  Actually, the #60 and the #60.5 are still my favorite sizes.  I know you and I have discussed the merits of some of these planes in the past, but I'm still a VERY big fan of the Lie-Nielsen #60.5.  That one plane is on my bench from the start of any project to the very end!!!  That's really my "go to" plane.  That being said, there are still many times that the look and feel of a well aged piece of Stanley cast iron can't be beat.  There's ALWAYS room on my bench for one or two of those old timers.  As you already know so well, when properly tuned and sharpened, those old Stanleys will produce some damn nice results.

Jim C.   
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 02:38:15 PM by Jim C. »

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 02:21:46 PM »
Yeah, I love L-N stuff, just cause!! I was on the first mailing list when Tom made his first planes.
    They are beautifully made and outright artistic sculpture IMO.

Anyone who thinks they need one to be able to work though??  Well, you do have to feel sorry for them.
   I mean 20 generations of woodworkers who could all use the Stanley, raved about them in fact,
 and do better work with them year in and year out than hardly anyone in these times can measure up?

And so many modern guys can't even figure out how to get the eternal genius of Leonard Bailey's tools to work at all?
  And think they "have" to have an upgraded tool?
  Pretty embarrassing.
      yours Scott

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 02:55:08 PM »
I can't really think of any currently made planes that aren't based on the original Bailey designs......including the Lie-Nielsens.  That guy Bailey REALLY was a mechanical genius!!!  Some current planes look very aerodynamic, and modern, but upon further inspection, they're still the same.  The one thing the current planes can't match is the look and feel of an 80+ year old plane.  Some can match the performance of the old timers, but the look and feel isn't even close.

Jim C.