Author Topic: stanley 5 1/4 plane  (Read 7936 times)

Offline bird

• Contributor
  • Resident Rambler
Re: stanley 5 1/4 plane
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2011, 07:13:56 PM »
Thanks folks, so, it sounds like if I want a good "user" I should go for the 71  or  71 1/2??
cheers, bird
Silent bidder extraordinaire!
"Aunt birdie, I think you're the best loser ever!!!!!!"

Offline Jim C.

Re: stanley 5 1/4 plane
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2011, 07:59:41 PM »
Hi Bird,

I like the closed throat #71 1/2, as my first choice.  I still think the little #271 is also a good one to have on hand.  Later versions of the #71 and #71 1/2 came with a guide fence.  I've never really used the fence too much.  I usually use my router planes free hand.  I guess it all depends on the type of work you do.

I think all three models were nickel plated for the most part, however, those made during WWII were japanned (no pun intended).  The nickel was being used in the war effort.  I have both nickel plated and japanned versions and see absolutely no difference in their performance.  From a purely aesthetic perspective, I like the nickel plated versions a little better.  The japanned versions are a little more rare.  To add a little history to the topic, all Stanley planes were delivered new in boxes.  Early boxes were light green, while most later boxes were a yellowish to almost orange color.  Planes that were manufactured during WWII were not only japanned, but many of their boxes (not all) were a more olive green to brownish color.  It's just something I like to look for when I see a WWII era plane supposedly in its original box.  Although it's very far from fool proof, the correct colored box can often help authenticate a WWII era plane.

Jim C.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 08:05:44 PM by Jim C. »
Our Go-To Type Study Member