Author Topic: stanley 5 1/4 plane  (Read 7933 times)

Offline bird

• Contributor
  • Resident Rambler
stanley 5 1/4 plane
« on: August 15, 2011, 02:12:31 PM »
Hi guys, just bought a stanley 5 1/4 plane.  The "notched" design with Stanley has a background that is bright yellow. It has a kidney shaped hole. Does anyone have any info on this?
   I also bought an Irwin expansion bit. (no.2).  It's in the origanal box with directions and a second "blade" that enables the bit to cut 3/8  to THREE INCHES! Maybe that's not that exciting.... but, it was to me.
hope all's well.
bird
Silent bidder extraordinaire!
"Aunt birdie, I think you're the best loser ever!!!!!!"

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
Re: stanley 5 1/4 plane
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 09:15:53 AM »
Hi Jenny
 I like a 5 1/4.
  They were made for students but really anyone with small enough hands to fit, they are a lovely thing.
  Yours is pretty new. Orange paint can't be as old as WW11. Its newer that that.   
 yours Scott

Offline bird

• Contributor
  • Resident Rambler
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 11:20:18 PM »
I thought it looked lilke a "new" plane. But, the body, plane, frog, blade, cap iron, all look to be in good shape. So, I'm hoping it's a keeper.  It's a wierd plane. It's longer then a no.3, and its width is less then a no 4.  But, as I said, the blade, body, and the rest of the plane seem in pristine shape. So, I think I'll keep it as a "user" for now.
cheers,
bird

Offline bird

• Contributor
  • Resident Rambler
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 06:10:57 PM »
Hi Jenny
 I like a 5 1/4.
  They were made for students but really anyone with small enough hands to fit, they are a lovely thing.
  Yours is pretty new. Orange paint can't be as old as WW11. Its newer that that.   
 yours Scott

Hi there friend, it's actually yellow paint behind the stanley noctched emblem. The part of the body and frog is a brownish burgandy color.... how do like that for a discription?
cheers, bird

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 09:09:30 PM »

Hi there friend, it's actually yellow paint behind the stanley noctched emblem. The part of the body and frog is a brownish burgandy color.... how do like that for a discription?
cheers, bird

Yellow?? This is a very new plane then.  No more than 15 or so years old.
It will take more work to get it cutting sweet than an older one would.  But its still do-able.
 yours Scott

Offline bird

• Contributor
  • Resident Rambler
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 09:42:59 PM »
Thank's, dear, that's what I thought. I have a new (old) blade to give a new life. Hope all's well.
cheers,
bird

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 11:02:53 PM »
I've always thought that the Stanley #5 1/4 was a strange sized plane, but for some reason, I still like it.  Stanley made two versions of this plane; one with a smooth sole, and one with a corrugated sole.  The smooth soled model was produced between 1921 and 1983, while the corrugated model is a little more rare, having been produced between 1921 and 1942.  As ScottG stated earlier, the Stanley #5 1/4 seems to have been manufactured with vocational schools and/or students in mind.  Many were well used, and unfortunately, probably abused.  They're not commonly found in great condition.  Below, I've attached a couple pictures of both.  The smooth soled version is a 1920s era plane, and the corrugated version is from the 1930s.

Jim C. 
Our Go-To Type Study Member

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 11:03:05 AM »
Smack dab, Jim!!
Too bad they are such horribly abused beaters!! heeheheheheheh

What, do you live down the road from New Britain??
I live at the end of the world from there
 yours Scott 

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 01:01:37 PM »

No.  But I'm a pretty serious collector.  I love old Stanley hand planes.  I have a few old Sargent planes too.  Fortunately I have access to a few EXTREMELY serious collectors and occasionally make some trades or buy their extras.  As they upgrade their collections, I buy some of their cast offs.  In most cases, their cast offs are top collector quality planes that are totally complete, with correct vintage parts, and at least 97% japanning and nickel plating, or better.  A pretty good amount of planes in my collection are still in their original boxes.  Those are the ones I'm always looking for.  Even if the box is a little tattered, the planes those boxes have been protecting over the years are usually still in very good condition.  I'll post more pictures as the plane threads pop up here on the board.  If I have a plane that's pertinent to the discussion, I'll try to post a picture or two.  Thanks for your interest.

Jim C.   
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 01:03:26 PM by Jim C. »

Offline bird

• Contributor
  • Resident Rambler
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 12:58:16 AM »

No.  But I'm a pretty serious collector.  I love old Stanley hand planes.  I have a few old Sargent planes too.  Fortunately I have access to a few EXTREMELY serious collectors and occasionally make some trades or buy their extras.  As they upgrade their collections, I buy some of their cast offs.  In most cases, their cast offs are top collector quality planes that are totally complete, with correct vintage parts, and at least 97% japanning and nickel plating, or better.  A pretty good amount of planes in my collection are still in their original boxes.  Those are the ones I'm always looking for.  Even if the box is a little tattered, the planes those boxes have been protecting over the years are usually still in very good condition.  I'll post more pictures as the plane threads pop up here on the board.  If I have a plane that's pertinent to the discussion, I'll try to post a picture or two.  Thanks for your interest.

Jim C.

Now, you're in trouble, because I could use your help on a number of planes. I hope you don't mind me asking you about them. I have a random handyman plane which bears the marks underneath the cap iron, " c-134.  I haven't taken time to look into it any further... I know it's a cheap plane.
      I have a transitional plane that I thought was a sargent plane, but the blade reads, " L Bailey's   Patent Eec. 24 1867"
I have another transitional plane that I think is a sargent plane that reads, " sargent and co  3416 "  The blade has the old "circular type emblem that reads Sargent USA New Haven." 
  I have another Stanley plane that looks like a no 4.  It reads, "no 4 on the toe." It has a high front knob. The entire cap iron is the same iron type color.  It's a banjo type hole. IN front of the back handle it reads, " US PAT APR-19-10".  The adjustment knob is a large circumference brass knob. The lateral adjustment lever has nothing written on it. The actual blade has the stanley sweetheart emblem on it.  OK, I take it back. On the front of the lateral adjustment lever it says "STANLEY."
    I'm well aware that you need a picture to figure this out. But, I don't have one.
    I'm supposed to send you a picture. But, I'm not good at that. ... it's just who I am. I suck at computers. I can't offer you anymore info than the pathetic info that I've given you.  I'd love your help.
cheers, bird

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 05:45:57 PM »

Now, you're in trouble, because I could use your help on a number of planes. I hope you don't mind me asking you about them. I have a random handyman plane which bears the marks underneath the cap iron, " c-134.  I haven't taken time to look into it any further... I know it's a cheap plane.
      I have a transitional plane that I thought was a sargent plane, but the blade reads, " L Bailey's   Patent Eec. 24 1867"
I have another transitional plane that I think is a sargent plane that reads, " sargent and co  3416 "  The blade has the old "circular type emblem that reads Sargent USA New Haven." 
  I have another Stanley plane that looks like a no 4.  It reads, "no 4 on the toe." It has a high front knob. The entire cap iron is the same iron type color.  It's a banjo type hole. IN front of the back handle it reads, " US PAT APR-19-10".  The adjustment knob is a large circumference brass knob.
The lateral adjustment lever has nothing written on it. The actual blade has the stanley sweetheart emblem on it.  OK, I take it back. On the front of the lateral adjustment lever it says "STANLEY."
    I'm well aware that you need a picture to figure this out. But, I don't have one.
    I'm supposed to send you a picture. But, I'm not good at that. ... it's just who I am. I suck at computers. I can't offer you anymore info than the pathetic info that I've given you.  I'd love your help.
cheers, bird
[/quote]

I'm not so sure about your "random handyman" plane.  I might need a little more information on that one.  I could also use a little more info regarding your Stanley transitional plane.  Stanley made transitional planes as early as the 1860s and kept making some models as late as 1943.  Telling me it's overall length, and the width of it's iron might help me identify it.  As for your Sargent transitional plane, I think I can tell you a little about it.  Sargent did made a model #3416.  From what I can tell, most, maybe all, Sargent transitional plane model numbers started with "34." The second two digits usually designated the particular plane's overall length.  In the case of your plane, and basing my guess on the model number itself, I'd say that your plane is approximately 15" to 16" long, or what's typically known as "jack" plane length.  Sargent was also pretty good about stamping a plane's model number on the plane's iron.  They did this with metal planes too.  The 3416 was manufactured between 1891 and 1918. It's wooden body is most likely made from beech.  I don't think the plane is too valuable, of course, one in original mint condition would be a different story.  As for your Stanley #4, I'd guess that it's probably a type 12 (1919-1924) to a type 13 (1925-1928), based on some of the characteristics you described.  As you probably know, Stanley used all of its parts until they were gone.  So it's not uncommon to see parts that have been identified on an earlier version of a particular plane, showing up on a later version of a plane.  So, an early type 13 would very likely have some original factory installed parts on it that were more closely identified with a type 12.  An early  type 14 would very likely have some type 13 parts on it, etc., etc.  The #4 was one of Stanley's "bread and butter" planes.  They were a staple of every woodworking craftsman back in the day, and most DIYers.  I don't know if that's true today.  Stanley still makes the #4, and has been making them since 1869.  Sounds like you have a few good planes.  Have fun using them!!

Jim C.       

Offline bird

• Contributor
  • Resident Rambler
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2011, 03:12:59 AM »

I have another Stanley plane that looks like a no 4.  It reads, "no 4 on the toe." It has a high front knob. The entire cap iron is the same iron type color.  It's a banjo type hole. IN front of the back handle it reads, " US PAT APR-19-10".  The adjustment knob is a large circumference brass knob.
The lateral adjustment lever has nothing written on it. The actual blade has the stanley sweetheart emblem on it.  OK, I take it back. On the front of the lateral adjustment lever it says "STANLEY."
cheers, bird

I'm not so sure about your "random handyman" plane.  I might need a little more information on that one.  I could also use a little more info regarding your Stanley transitional plane.  Stanley made transitional planes as early as the 1860s and kept making some models as late as 1943.  Telling me it's overall length, and the width of it's iron might help me identify it.  As for your Sargent transitional plane, I think I can tell you a little about it.  Sargent did made a model #3416.  From what I can tell, most, maybe all, Sargent transitional plane model numbers started with "34." The second two digits usually designated the particular plane's overall length.  In the case of your plane, and basing my guess on the model number itself, I'd say that your plane is approximately 15" to 16" long, or what's typically known as "jack" plane length.  Sargent was also pretty good about stamping a plane's model number on the plane's iron.  They did this with metal planes too.  The 3416 was manufactured between 1891 and 1918. It's wooden body is most likely made from beech.  I don't think the plane is too valuable, of course, one in original mint condition would be a different story.  As for your Stanley #4, I'd guess that it's probably a type 12 (1919-1924) to a type 13 (1925-1928), based on some of the characteristics you described.  As you probably know, Stanley used all of its parts until they were gone.  So it's not uncommon to see parts that have been identified on an earlier version of a particular plane, showing up on a later version of a plane.  So, an early type 13 would very likely have some original factory installed parts on it that were more closely identified with a type 12.  An early  type 14 would very likely have some type 13 parts on it, etc., etc.  The #4 was one of Stanley's "bread and butter" planes.  They were a staple of every woodworking craftsman back in the day, and most DIYers.  I don't know if that's true today.  Stanley still makes the #4, and has been making them since 1869.  Sounds like you have a few good planes.  Have fun using them!!

Jim C.     
[/quote]

Thanks for the help, I'll be getting back to you with some more info, if you don't mind. I do have a few good users.... I keep four or five block planes around---- a different angle for each plane/blade, I have a record no 6 that I love,  I have an old wooden plane that's around 33-34 inches or so, a no 3, and two no 4s. I keep around 6 or seven molding planes which prove to be quite useful in many situations (screw setting up the routing table!).  I'd like to have a router plane, maybe 1/4-1/2 inch blade. I've run across several, but, I'm not that desperate for one.  I can use a chisel with a block of wood cut at the right angle and get the basic idea of what I need. I've got a BEAUTIFUL little carriage/ compass plane.....  the entire, well, I guess it would be considered the curved sole?  that is squares of ebony and, I'm guessing beech or maple? ... I think maple.
   It's the most beautiful tool I've ever owned. One day I'll send you a picture of it... it's awesome.... at least, to me, it is.
thanks for your info, and I hope you don't mind if I keep asking you questions
cheers,
bird

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2011, 07:40:54 AM »
Hi Bird,

It sounds like you have a nice "working" collection of hand planes.  You mentioned that you're considering adding a router plane to your arsenal.  I think that is a great idea.  Stanley, Sargent, and others made routers, and they're relatively common in good "user" condition.  Stanley made four different models that I can think of; the #71, the #71 1/2, the #171, and the #271.  Of the four, the only one that I'd avoid would be the #171.  It's one of the "contraptions" that Stanley came up with in an effort to cover every niche in the plane buying market.  It came with several parts that are frequently missing or damaged and are not easily replaced.  It was specifically designed to cut door strike plate mortises, lock set mortises, and hinge mortises.  I like a butt mortise plane and a chisel for those operations.  The #171 is best left to the collectors.  The other three models are all very useful and very affordable in user condition.  The #271 is small and highly recommended for tight places, while the #71 and #71 1/2 accommodate a couple different width cutters, including one with a pointed profile for the really tight spots, and they're more heavy duty.  If you're interested in seeing any of these planes, let me know, I could probably figure out how to send you a couple pictures.

I'm also a big fan of compass planes.  Mine probably isn't as pretty as your plane is.  I have an old Record model that I've used on a few projects, and I think it's really a useful tool.  You can never have too many hand planes!!!

Jim C.       
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 07:48:01 AM by Jim C. »

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2011, 11:12:15 AM »
Hey Jenny
 If you are going to buy a router plane, I would suggest one of the earlier ones. They all work the same so you might as well have a pretty one! :)
 The later made 71's have more attachments (which I never use) but they are plain as a mud fence!

The little ones (271) are cool to use, but they never even made those until the days of unadorned tools became popular.
 At least I never saw one with flowers and scrolls and elegant lettering etc.
 The early 71/ 71 1/2's are pretty nice.

Check this. A friend made me this.  Its small, about 4" across. Paul Hamler made small tools.   
  yours Scott

Offline Branson

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2011, 08:55:21 AM »
Gee thanks for the picture, Scott.  Now I have drool all over my keyboard.

The 271s are nifty for being small, and doing small work.  Got one still in the box.  But my mainstay is a 71 1/2 that has worked hard for me for almost 30 years.