Author Topic: Unusual Die Set  (Read 1007 times)

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
Unusual Die Set
« on: May 26, 2017, 01:10:13 PM »
Hello, Has anyone ever seen these before, or recognize the logo? Another one of those things hanging on a wall at a sale, that no one else wanted!!!! Thanks, Lou
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline bill300d

Re: Unusual Die Set
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 01:51:15 PM »
Toledo Pipe Threading Machine Co.
I believe they go in a pipe threading head similar to this.https://picclick.com/Vintage-Toledo-Pipe-Threader-Head-1-1-2-Die-122301235158.html
A person who could really read human minds would be privileged to gaze on some correct imitations of chaos.

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 02:38:52 PM »
Hey Bill. That was quick!!!!  Now I have to go out in the garage and look at the Die Heads that I have. Thanks, Lou
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 12:21:38 PM »
Those are the "normal" type of dies used now a days, at least in fire protection. For up to 4".

But our smallest normal pipe is 1"-2".  I carried a seperate universal die head with 1/2"-3/4" dies for air lines, valve trim, etc.

A universal die head is mounted to the carriage of a threading machine.  The machine turns the pipe. Those manual types were considered "old fashioned" when I indentured in 1982.  Old timers would tell stories of their old timers who hand threaded.

They come in a set of 4, and you have to get them in the die head in the right spot.

Chilly