Author Topic: An Odd Lot  (Read 2176 times)

Offline lauver

• Belton, TX
An Odd Lot
« on: August 19, 2011, 12:01:40 PM »
Gang,

Picked up some unusual tools the other day.  One, an Action (Thorsen Tool) 1/4" drive open head ratchet that I've been seeking for several years.  The other two are British tools; including a Gorden Tools DOE 3/16W x 1/8W and a King Dick 1/2" drive socket marked 9/16" BSF and 1/2"W (it measures about 1" AF).  As a rule, British tools are rare in Texas, but they do occur from time to time.  However, in all my years, I've never seen a King Dick tool.  Here's a couple of photos:

Here's the threesome together...

And here's a close-up of the King Dick socket (Note it a tapered socket with two knurled rings, the base is satin chrome while the top is polished chrome).  I really like it!

I'm guessing the british tools are early 1960's to early 1970's, but they could be 1950's.  What are your thoughts on dating these tools.

The Action ratchet maybe 1957 to mid 1980's, but I don't know how long the Action brand was in use. Does anyone have any Thorsen catalogs?

Any help appreciated as AA was not much help on these oddballs.

Member of PHARTS - Pefect Handle Admiration, Restoration, and Torturing Society

Offline kxxr

Re: An Odd Lot
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 01:33:31 PM »
Nice. I have both the Thorsen and the Action versions of that design in the 3/8 inch drive but have never even seen a quarter inch. Good catch!
I can't help much with the age. I could guess but that doesn't help much.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 02:50:12 PM »
Gary, post a pic or two of that 1/4" ratchet in the ratchet thread. Been looking for an open head rat to post as an example there.
I sold a 1/4" Action rat a few years ago. I was a dumb-dumb - didn't realize Action was a good ratchet.
Ratchet Guru

Offline anglesmith

• Mid Northcoast NSW Australia
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 08:08:39 PM »
In my prewar King Dick Cat..(5th ed?) the sockets only have one straight knurled band. Just checked 47 KD cat.. that lbgradwell made avaiable recently and it's single band in that also.
Graeme

Offline lauver

• Belton, TX
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 08:17:29 PM »
BM,

I'll be glad to post a photo or two on your ratchet thread.  I think I use my 3/8 Thorsen cuz it's bigger and easier to see the parts on.  Also, there were many brands of this style ratchet (Thorsen, Action, P&C, and Sears(WF) off the top of my head).  We need to get Tools Pants to post his collection because he's got most or all of them and there are some small variations.  But the good news is that they all operate the same and share the same basic anatomy.

Offline lauver

• Belton, TX
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 08:23:11 PM »
In my prewar King Dick Cat..(5th ed?) the sockets only have one straight knurled band. Just checked 47 KD cat.. that lbgradwell made avaiable recently and it's single band in that also.
Graeme

Anglesmith,

Thanks for the King Dick info.  So would my socket be older or newer than mid-1940's because it is more ornate.  What are your thoughts?  In American made sockets, they became less ornate with time.  Did British sockets follow the same trend?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 08:26:09 PM by lauver »

Offline anglesmith

• Mid Northcoast NSW Australia
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 09:49:23 PM »
Just found KD sockets in a 1964 British cat.. single band! So my guess would be that it is later?  They were amongst the top British mechanics tools.
Graeme

Offline lauver

• Belton, TX
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011, 02:07:05 PM »
Angelsmith,

Thanks again.  So we're talking 1970+; I would have thought earlier not later, but good to know.

To your knowledge, has anyone else posted a KD socket similar to mine?     
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 12:26:51 PM by lauver »

Offline Fins/413

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 03:48:43 PM »
Those English tools are really nice in particular the socket.
1959 Chrysler New Yorker
1982 E150 Ford van

Offline lauver

• Belton, TX
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2011, 06:50:29 PM »
Fins/413,

Thanks, I'm liking the KD socket too.  But they appear to be slim pickins in my neck of the woods.