Author Topic: Hawkeye (?) Alligator/Monkey Wrench  (Read 2232 times)

Offline Provincial

Hawkeye (?) Alligator/Monkey Wrench
« on: June 23, 2012, 02:31:42 AM »
I picked up this wrench at a grarage sale recently.  It is marked "Patented", "Forged Tool Steel", "Made in USA", and "Marshalltown, Iowa".  I think that the Marshalltown connection means it is a Hawkeye wrench, but all the ones I can find are simply alligator wrenches.

The photos show it next to a Cornwell 3/4" deep socket that was in the box, along with some HF junk from China and some interesting vintage American tools.

It is a monkey wrench with a hammer head built in, and the opposite end is an alligator wrench.  It has seen some hard use, but functions properly.

I'm guessing that it was made toward the end of the Alligator era and that the monkey wrench end got the most use.  I suppose that Hawkeye was trying to change with the times.

Anyone have more information?  This will be a good wall hanger, as it is so interesting.

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
Re: Hawkeye (?) Alligator/Monkey Wrench
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 05:38:00 AM »
    This is No. 40 in Schulz(pg. 8)  Patented Aug. 4, 1903.  The patent number is not in the Datamp data base and so far I haven't found it in google patents.

Neat wrench!!

Mike
Check out my ETSY store at: OldeTymeTools

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 06:13:21 AM »
Hi again, The 1903 patent date in Schulz is incorrect.  It should have been August 4, 1908.  Since 3's and 8's look a lot alike on old tools this is an easy mistake to make.  This corresponds to patent no. 895,285.  This is in the Datamp data base and you can look up the particulars there.

Mike
Check out my ETSY store at: OldeTymeTools

Offline Provincial

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 10:35:32 AM »
Thanks Mike! 

Offline Plyerman

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Northern Michigan
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 08:26:52 AM »
Great old combination wrench there Provincial!  That left hand acme adjustment screw arrangement looks pretty cool.
My friends call me Bob. My wife calls me a lot worse.