Author Topic: Miniature Tools  (Read 153864 times)

Offline Art Rafael

Re: Miniature Tools
« Reply #570 on: November 27, 2014, 03:25:11 PM »
Thanks Frank.

Thanks John K.

Thanks Bill S.  I typically work in brass because dimensional stock is available, affordable and relatively "easy" to work with.  And brass polishes up nicely.
Silver is even better - that is, it cuts and solders easily and takes an even better shine, but it is more difficult to find in dimensional sizes.  And it is more expensive.
But yet, some projects require so much intricate and intense work building special wax models, rubber molds, plaster molds for lost wax casting that it is hardly worth doing in other than precious metal.  And sometimes I work in gold if a client is willing to pay for it.   Ralph

« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 03:36:01 PM by Art Rafael »

Offline BillS

« Reply #571 on: November 27, 2014, 04:05:24 PM »

Ralph,

Were the hammers done in silver? What type of forge is that? It doesn't look like it would be too hard to build.

Bill

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
« Reply #572 on: November 27, 2014, 04:17:35 PM »

Ralph,

Were the hammers done in silver? What type of forge is that? It doesn't look like it would be too hard to build.

Bill
That's a centrifugal casting machine.

Chilly

Offline Art Rafael

« Reply #573 on: November 27, 2014, 05:05:31 PM »
Correct, Chilly.

These casting machines were used extensively by dentists in the past - before in-office CNC and 3 D machining.
Some are available on ebay now and then.

Yes, those hammers on pages 29, 30 (reply #435) are about 1/3 oz silver - that is 92.5% pure (sterling).  In 14 kt gold that would be about $250 today (that's just for the metal).   Ralph

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
« Reply #574 on: November 28, 2014, 12:59:32 AM »
In addition to dentists, every jewelry caster had those. There are a few different types. I had a few, now just one or two. 

I think Ralph's mastered its use.

Chilly

Offline Branson

« Reply #575 on: November 28, 2014, 11:19:08 AM »
Ralph, that plow plane is outrageously wonderful!  Absolutely adore it!

Offline Art Rafael

« Reply #576 on: November 28, 2014, 12:48:41 PM »
Thanks, Branson.  This model was a most challenging build inspired by Lewill2 here on the forum. 
I like how it turned out with a good balance of metal (brass) and wood (Cocobolo). 
I didn't happen to have a 1-72 left hand tap nor die as required. 
They were special ordered specifically for this project and await their next use - I just can't think of one right now, but I do accept that "one of" projects often call for special tooling.

Here are some more views:   Ralph

A comparative scale view:

I posted an extensive build log some time ago starting on page 6 - reply #81 of this string and extending through page 8 - reply #110.

And I am now reminded that I had to take a couple diversion breaks during this build, but I have forgotten just how challenging it was,
and I might just try to build another one.   Ralph
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 01:24:29 PM by Art Rafael »

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #577 on: November 28, 2014, 06:56:53 PM »
Just when I didn't think I'd be more impressed, I am.    This is amazing.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Nolatoolguy

« Reply #578 on: November 30, 2014, 12:17:15 AM »
Have you ever tried a minutire of a machine. Perhaps a table saw or mill or something along those lines.
And I'm proud to be an American,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood

Offline Branson

« Reply #579 on: November 30, 2014, 10:08:35 AM »
Have you ever tried a minutire of a machine. Perhaps a table saw or mill or something along those lines.

Maybe an 1842 treadle table saw? 

Offline Art Rafael

« Reply #580 on: November 30, 2014, 11:55:59 AM »
Hi, Nolatoolguy.  I do think about miniature machines often and have created some:

Hi, Branson.  I'll have to try to find some info. / pictures of the 1842 treadle table saw.  Ideas?

See action video on youtube:

http://youtu.be/1SrM5Fg0mbs?list=UU-GXI1Wp8qMJcEsSWF5Eu5A

This treadle machine required some coordination to operate. 
And, though I had the wherewithal to  build it, getting it to run smoothly was another matter.   Ralph

Sooo . . . I figured out a way to power it:

http://youtu.be/58aRhhq2JzE?list=UU-GXI1Wp8qMJcEsSWF5Eu5A

« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 12:40:11 PM by Art Rafael »

Offline bill300d

« Reply #581 on: November 30, 2014, 07:08:13 PM »
Art
       you've been holding out on us.  That lathe and those solenoid engines are awesome.

bill
A person who could really read human minds would be privileged to gaze on some correct imitations of chaos.

Offline Art Rafael

« Reply #582 on: November 30, 2014, 07:59:41 PM »
Thanks, Bill.  I didn't mean to "hold out".  It's just that this is a"tools" forum", and though I have built several engines / machines of sorts, I had not posted them cause I . . . don't know why.  I wasn't sure that they would be of interest.  Any way, I have built steam engines of many sorts, and I've designed and built many electric solenoid engines that function very like steam engines - except that they are regulated by electric switches vs mechanical valves, etc.  And I've discovered how to employ electric solenoids to power the mechanics of various machines.  ie:

http://youtu.be/up3TYj5n-TM?list=UU-GXI1Wp8qMJcEsSWF5Eu5A

Offline turnnut

« Reply #583 on: November 30, 2014, 09:18:14 PM »
Ralph, we always enjoy your videos,  tools, machines, engines, they are all interesting,
and the how you did it makes for interesting reading.  thank you for sharing, Frank

Offline Branson

« Reply #584 on: December 01, 2014, 07:53:11 AM »
Hi, Branson.  I'll have to try to find some info. / pictures of the 1842 treadle table saw.  Ideas?

If Santa comes through, I'll have a book that shows two of these.  I got the first volume for
a birthday present, have the next two volumes on Santa's list.  Charles Holtzappfel wrote
a wonderful set of books!   While the company started by his father is best known for the
lathes they built, it seems they made every kind of tool.  And Charles seems to have known
how every trade used them.

If I can get into my old computer, I have something else, and several pictures from various
angles of a salesman sample single end tenoner.  I'll see if I can find them.