Author Topic: Cheney 12oz Riveting Hammer  (Read 12223 times)

Offline Branson

Re: Cheney 12oz Riveting Hammer
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2013, 09:15:28 AM »
Thanks again, jtc.  You've solved a lot of mysteries about Cheney!  Fascinatin' stuff.

>Now to figure out why Collins bought Cheney and shut it down...

Probably has to do with Cheney's ax and hatchet making business, that seems to have been a major part of Cheney's output.

Offline jtc

• Henry Cheney Hammer Company
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2013, 10:42:33 PM »
Probably has to do with Cheney's ax and hatchet making business, that seems to have been a major part of Cheney's output.

As far as I know they only made axes for 3-6 years. The axe factory was sold the year after Henry died and then run by the Trask brothers for a little over a decade until they sold out to the Hard Edge Tool Trust in 1892 -- ending axe production in Little Falls.

Interestingly, I've found some traces of a law suit brought by the Henry Cheney Hammer Company against a Henry P. Collins over some utility work being done near the factory, but I don't have anything indicating that this Collins was in any way related to the Collins family that ran the Collins Company.

I found a huge trove of old newspapers on http://fultonhistory.com/ it takes some digging, but there's a ton of good stuff in there.

Jeff

Offline jtc

• Henry Cheney Hammer Company
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2013, 10:01:37 PM »
>S. H. Farnam factory

EAIA - makes that Steven Head Farnam, which brings up an amusing bit of trivia.

Looks like Rusty was correct, it's Farnam, not Farnham.

From the Little Falls, NY The Journal and Courier February 20, 1868: