Author Topic: I finally got the vise I wanted  (Read 10698 times)

Offline JessEm

• MinneSNOWta
I finally got the vise I wanted
« on: October 19, 2011, 05:32:55 PM »
Hi everyone, I've wanted a big hefty vise for quite a while and I finally got one last week, and did I ever! Thought I would post some pictures of it here. I don't know a ton about vises, except that big ones are cool, and occasionally they come in handy. The ruler in the picture is 12".  It came with the wrench for it also, which is nice.

Vintage Power Tools WANTED: Porter Cable 500 belt sander, beam saws (circular saws with 10"+ blades) including Mall Saw 120, Skil 127, Makita 5402A & 8190039, B&D, ETC...

Offline lbgradwell

• Oakville, ON
Re: I finally got the vise I wanted
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 05:59:48 PM »
That is AWESOME!

What does it weigh?!

Kijiji King

Offline keykeeper

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 07:41:08 PM »
Now THAT is one honking big piece of beauty!!! I bet that sucker weighs over 150 pounds easy!
-Aaron C.

My vintage tool Want list:
Wards Master Quality 1/2" drive sockets (Need size 5/8), long extension, & speeder handle.
-Vlchek WB* series double box wrenches.
-Hinsdale double-box end round shank wrenches.

Offline JessEm

• MinneSNOWta
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 08:24:18 PM »
I think you're right. It's probably closer to 200#. I'm going to take it off the stand to add caster wheels, at which time I will try weighing it.

I just did a little looking on the internet and it turns out it's the same Charles Parker that made shotguns, among other things. Sure would like a 'matching' shotgun to go with this... ;)
Vintage Power Tools WANTED: Porter Cable 500 belt sander, beam saws (circular saws with 10"+ blades) including Mall Saw 120, Skil 127, Makita 5402A & 8190039, B&D, ETC...

Offline Branson

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 06:44:49 AM »
I just did a little looking on the internet and it turns out it's the same Charles Parker that made shotguns, among other things. Sure would like a 'matching' shotgun to go with this... ;)

I didn't know that!  Suppose the vise came in Damascus too?  Just kidding.  Good quality stuff.

Offline Fins/413

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 07:28:48 AM »
Nothing better than a big honkin vise, look to be in really nice shape too.
1959 Chrysler New Yorker
1982 E150 Ford van

Offline JessEm

• MinneSNOWta
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 10:09:21 AM »
I think it's in good shape... It operates smoothly and if it's ever been fixed, I cant tell. It appears that someone tried removing the nub, or knob, on the back half (the part the sticks up to prevent it from being used as an anvil), or maybe it's just worn down.

I would be cautious about using 'modern' tools in a Damascus vise.  :)

Offline Ken W.

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2011, 11:59:04 AM »
That thing is a beast. Looks pretty heavy as well. Nice vise.

Offline 64longstep/Brian

• Contributor
  • Phoenix Arizona
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2011, 03:07:56 PM »
That's not this is a vise... LOL
Just kidding, that is a nice vise you have there…
Brian-
If all else fails use a bigger hammer…
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline JessEm

• MinneSNOWta
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2011, 05:43:31 PM »
Thanks for the compliments on the vise!

Brian, there's an awful lot going on in that picture you posted. It's like, let's play "How many items in this picture can you name?"

I see a wood stove with horse shoe feet,...

Offline 64longstep/Brian

• Contributor
  • Phoenix Arizona
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2011, 07:29:11 PM »
Thanks for the compliments on the vise!

Brian, there's an awful lot going on in that picture you posted. It's like, let's play "How many items in this picture can you name?"

I see a wood stove with horse shoe feet,...

Lets see there is  22ton air over hydraulic press, the a Freon bottle propane forge, a big honking vise, a welding table, a 200lbs anvil, 5 cast-iron skillets and a dutch oven, a quench bucket, 2 1964 1/2ton rear coil springs, one leaf spring pack out of a 05 ford explorer, two cat litter buckets fill of wooden wire spool through bolts and some scrap  metal.
I think that is all of it… LOL
Brian-     

Offline JessEm

• MinneSNOWta
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2011, 11:57:41 PM »
I'm not seeing the anvil. Is it blue, sitting in the center of the welding table behind the stove? Is that another cast iron skillet sitting upside down on the RH corner of the table?

Offline 64longstep/Brian

• Contributor
  • Phoenix Arizona
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2011, 12:08:23 AM »
I'm not seeing the anvil. Is it blue, sitting in the center of the welding table behind the stove? Is that another cast iron skillet sitting upside down on the RH corner of the table?

Yeah the anvil is in the back ground behind my propane forge and the cast-iron on the right hand corner of the table is a 10” dutch oven without its lid… 

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2011, 12:39:59 PM »
That vise is quite a find, a new equivalent to that would cost a good part of my paycheck.   You said you were going to add casters to that three legged stand?  And mount the vise on it?  That to me is scary, when I put something in a vise, usually there is some serious bending, hammering, or sawing to do.  Having the stand movable is okay, but not having the vise securely mounted to a table that is immovable, makes working with it really tough.   That and having a 200lb vise mounted so things are top heavy means sooner or later it is headed for the floor, where my feet are!  My large one is bolted to an all steel welding table, the top of which is 5/8 in. steel plate.    Would hate to ever see something that pretty hit the floor.

Offline mrchuck

• Contributor
  • retired Federal LEO Ranger
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2011, 09:20:31 AM »
John K is correct!
Caster wheels of any type will defeat the purpose of holding something big and steady. I use my vise to hold something while drilling a hole in it. I push HARD on the drill to cut thru a steel part.
Caster wheels would "move" defeating the purpose of a steady, solid hold!
Molon Labe