Author Topic: Diagonal pein hammer on eBay  (Read 14096 times)

Offline kxxr

Re: Diagonal pein hammer on eBay
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2014, 09:12:50 AM »
Interesting discussion. The "Big Blu" (and other makers) website catalog shows them this way:
#7 Right hand

#8 Left hand

Offline Twilight Fenrir

« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2014, 06:14:58 PM »
Really, both of you are correct.

Keykeeper, it is a designation. If you go to buy one new you would get the one you want by telling them right or left.

And, I know that you are largely self taught, but like I said, there is a method of using a cross pein thst makes it the best tool for the job. As a self taught person, who is very passionate about smithing,  you have an opportunity to find out what this method of using a cross pein is.   You may even like this method.

The use of handedhess in this tool has to do with ergonomics and how you can see the work.  Here is my best (although silversmith) explanation. (I welcome correction. I only claim 85% accuracy, and my life has been a series of course corrections. Constantly adjusting.)

If holding a piece with your left hand, with your arm held a natural way your fist  in front of your you and lined up somewhere in the vicinity of your centerline, the pein lines up straight in front of you.

Here is my rough drawing (excuse my art, I am an engineer, after all)

Dimensions are to scale (measured off of me. I just ate, by the way. Nevermind the last one, Mrs. Chillly says I am a little thicker.)

The fact that any tool can be used in other ways does not affect the truth that there can often be, sometimes a little less obviously, a very good method for which the tool was intended.  This is one of those.  The double cross peins are simply made for everyone.  You can imagine that lefties are rarer.

I think that both keykeeper and twilight show great knowledge and passion about smithing. I for one, would like to see some of their work. I imagine it is pretty cool.  And, hey, we haven't seen any if Branson's work lately, have we?

Sincerely,

Chilly

Edited to add the following picture:

I think you've got the diagram a bit off... the hammer should be held perpendicular to the anvil, and the piece you are holding would be at the angle. The way you show it, you'd either have to hold the piece straight out of your belly, or way off to the side. Whereas, if you look at my much cruder diagram. if you hold the hammer straight, the piece is a much more comfortable angle to work with. Which would fall in line with "Big Blu"'s nomenclature... also... that's a beautiful hammer <3

If you'd really like to see some of my work... here's a link to a lot of it. It's still fairly crude in my opinion ^^; But, I'm starting to make stuff I like more and more... I'm really enjoying making rams heads out of railroad spikes.

http://s137.photobucket.com/user/Midnight_Fenrir/library/Blacksmithing

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2014, 04:44:42 AM »
I'm not sure Twilight, you cannot hold a hammer straight out.  So I'm not getting it without showing a person.

I can adjust the diagrams if I understand it...

Chilly

Offline kxxr

« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2014, 08:09:38 AM »
I guess this topic may have been 'beat to death', but it did pique my curiosity enough to do a little research, as some threads will do. I found good information on the website of ABS Mastersmith Ed Caffrey. As I explored his site, checking out his work, I realized that he lives right here in my home town, just a mile or so from me. That was back in November and for Christmas, my wife gave me one of his pens. It is a beautiful piece of work and I have posted some pictures of it in another thread.
Anyway, for those that have any unanswered questions or remaining interest in the angle peen hammers, there is a good description and some photos of how this accomplished artisan uses them. If you visit the site, be sure to look around. If you are interested in this kind of work, you will enjoy the visit and appreciate the examples shown.
http://www.caffreyknives.net/angle_peen-hammers.html

Offline turnnut

« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2014, 10:50:32 AM »
KXXR, interesting,  I had never seen a split handle on a hammer,  is that to
take out the shock of the blow ?
Frank

Offline keykeeper

« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2014, 03:35:22 PM »
Really, both of you are correct.

Keykeeper, it is a designation. If you go to buy one new you would get the one you want by telling them right or left.

And, I know that you are largely self taught, but like I said, there is a method of using a cross pein thst makes it the best tool for the job. As a self taught person, who is very passionate about smithing,  you have an opportunity to find out what this method of using a cross pein is.   You may even like this method.

The use of handedhess in this tool has to do with ergonomics and how you can see the work.  Here is my best (although silversmith) explanation. (I welcome correction. I only claim 85% accuracy, and my life has been a series of course corrections. Constantly adjusting.)

If holding a piece with your left hand, with your arm held a natural way your fist  in front of your you and lined up somewhere in the vicinity of your centerline, the pein lines up straight in front of you.

Here is my rough drawing (excuse my art, I am an engineer, after all)

Dimensions are to scale (measured off of me. I just ate, by the way. Nevermind the last one, Mrs. Chillly says I am a little thicker.)

The fact that any tool can be used in other ways does not affect the truth that there can often be, sometimes a little less obviously, a very good method for which the tool was intended.  This is one of those.  The double cross peins are simply made for everyone.  You can imagine that lefties are rarer.

I think that both keykeeper and twilight show great knowledge and passion about smithing. I for one, would like to see some of their work. I imagine it is pretty cool.  And, hey, we haven't seen any if Branson's work lately, have we?

Sincerely,

Chilly

Edited to add the following picture:

This is my argument, entirely, Chilly. How a person wants the pein to be oriented is based solely on what operation the smith is doing at that particular time. Knife makers would want the pein to lie parallel to the bar, for widening of it, as in a knife blade. Other smiths would want the pein to be perpendicular to the bar as they hold it on the anvil face, to fuller and lengthen the bar. Your drawing illustrates my point, somewhat. At least as to how the pein would be oriented to the anvil. Myself, I use the pein of my regular cross pein to lengthen a bar by fullering it, then flattening it. Together, that results in drawing out the bar to a longer length.

I will post some of my work, as I find time and the photos to go along. I just finished some squirrel cookers for my cousin and sent them cross country to him for Christmas presents. I don't specialize in any one thing. I have made some simple knives, bottle openers, myriads of hooks, decorative hearts for wall hangings (Chicks dig hearts!), candle holders, tools for use on the anvil (hot cuts). Always looking for another project to challenge myself to make. I don't make any money from this, usually. It is more therapy to me. I work in a high-stress field, and blacksmithing removes me and my mind from that crap, which would make most members here cringe I what I hear and see on an average day. I have to escape it, somehow.
-Aaron C.

My vintage tool Want list:
Wards Master Quality 1/2" drive sockets (Need size 5/8), long extension, & speeder handle.
-Vlchek WB* series double box wrenches.
-Hinsdale double-box end round shank wrenches.