Author Topic: Segerstrom tool or form  (Read 1442 times)

Offline KeepinOldBolts

Segerstrom tool or form
« on: September 12, 2011, 11:00:58 AM »
This unknown item is 8" tall and 8" wide, made of a cast iron material but fairly lightweight. I can't find anything on the web for this item. Manufactured in Minneapolis and marked Segerstrom, it might be a "form" used for tin smithing, however I have used it for many years as a form for patching tire tubes with great success.

The outer surface is smooth, the inner void is unfinished cast iron.

What the heck is this darn thing?

:-)

and...

Old tractors, old cars, new Harleys

Looking for HinsDale 4 points 1/2dr in a few sizes and a Bonney 12point 1/2" in 3/8dr.

Offline Neals

• Contributor
  • Alberta, Canada
Re: Segerstrom tool or form
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 11:51:21 AM »
Just WAG but how about for saddle or harness making?

Offline lazyassforge

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 04:49:10 PM »
Your use of the tool may not be too far off! I did find a listing for a Segerstrom Electric Vulcanizer Company in Minneapolis Minnesota around 1910! I didnt find any pictures of any of their tools that looked like yours but they did make tire patching equipment.

Hope this helps, Bill D.

Offline KeepinOldBolts

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 08:11:37 PM »
Thanks Bill, I have now found that vulcanizer in a Motor book (Hearst, 1910). I see now how this would be a good form for laying a hot vulcanized patch in a tire casing (were talking teen's tires here...skinny!!), and then placing the patched tire on the form.

The original mounting setup for this might come from the side, allowing the tire to "drape" the form, thus allowing the repairman to strap it down to the form with a belt or rope in between the form legs.

I've mounted this on a short board to quickly clamp in a vice for tube repair.

I'm calling this case closed! Nice!

J
Old tractors, old cars, new Harleys

Looking for HinsDale 4 points 1/2dr in a few sizes and a Bonney 12point 1/2" in 3/8dr.