Author Topic: Adjustable wrench storage  (Read 2165 times)

Offline jimwrench

• Contributor
Adjustable wrench storage
« on: September 08, 2012, 02:15:48 PM »
 My present method of adjustable wrench storage is (newest on top). Weight gets to be a problem with this type wrench. Anyone have a good storage system. I've about quit buying this type wrench due to lack of space.
 Did buy the four in Photo 4 after I resolved not to buy them at Thurs auction. Reason: $1 bought all four.
 Top one is Whitman & Barnes Intermediate
Second is Bridge Tool of St Louis
Third is Girard
Forth is unknown maker ( all I can read is eveland,O) Any guesses as to maker?
 I need to get these fellows on a spread sheet so I'll know what I have but need a storage system other than pegboard for these heavyweights. Help.
Jim
Mr. Dollarwrench

Offline lbgradwell

• Oakville, ON
Re: Adjustable wrench storage
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 02:43:10 PM »
Reason: $1 bought all four.

You suck.

Forth is unknown maker ( all I can read is eveland,O) Any guesses as to maker?

P. S. & W.

Kijiji King

Offline Branson

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 04:55:35 PM »

>$1 bought all four.

You suck.
[/quote]

Agreed!

Offline Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 07:28:26 PM »
I think the best way to store them is to start giving them away to fellow Tool Talk Members to store for you. We can send you pictures after they have all found a new home.

:)

Offline RedVise

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 08:11:59 PM »
That is the cleanest pile of wrenches I have seen, nice assortment.

Mu suggestion would be a set up similar to Home Depot or Lowes, for carpet or tiles samples I beleive.
You would use pegboards mounted like a book so that you can turn the page to look at a different set of wrenches each day.
Maybe...

Brian L.

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 08:32:15 PM »
The guy I visited today had a bunch of wrenches and blacksmith's tools in a blueprint drawer cabinet.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline rusty

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 08:49:49 PM »

The first place I worked bought the place from previous owners, who had about five times as much office furniture as they needed, so some of it went out into the shop.
The machinists were using blueprint cabinets and file card drawers for storing measuring tools and small things like taps and drills. They worked really well...

I kindof miss metal card file drawers, used to be able to find them cheap, getting hard to find them at all these days...no one uses index cards anymore...
(And those nice oak ones at the library.....sigh)
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline dimwittedmoose51

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 10:48:05 PM »
Papaw and fellow froumers:  I stumbled into a junk storage building last week that would have blown your minds.  I too, thoughtabot the old library card storage gig for tools or nuts and bolts etc.  I found the holy grail for access to them.  This ol' boy has a couple dozen of them(72 drawers per unit).  The stubling block is the price.  He's asking $320 each for them.  These dabies haven't seen the light of day in years.   If only I were rich.....

BTW, my solution for storing wrenches with holes in the handles is solved by this eyewear optical board I bought for $5 .  It is mega heavy duty and each peg is a bolt actually and would easily hold 100# each(wall might not survive the total weight though...lol)

I think I posted a photo of it, but if not, I'll try to dig it up.  The board looks like Swiss cheese with all the options of where to install the hangars.The board is about 49" tall, 24" wide, and the pegs stick out almost 4" and there must be like 40 of them to move around as syou see fit..  I wish the gal had more of them, as at $5, it was  a steal.

DM&FS

Champion Pawn/Flea Plunderer
Old Tools and Music.....My drugs of choice

Offline clovis

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 09:40:41 PM »
You bought all 4 wrenches for $1???

And I thought I was getting a few tools for cheap. You have me beat by a mile!!!!

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 12:15:37 AM »
Pilot! I see piles!!

Standard pegboard is too weak, but heavy pegboard they use in stores? and the heavy "pegs"??
 Can come 6 or 8" long.  I can get about 8 small wrenches or 6 larger ones on a single pair of pegs. Not exactly spread out but as many wrenches as you are showing in these pix would cover about 24 square feet spread out singly.
 How much wall space you got?
   yours Scott

Offline oldtools

• Keep OldTools alive by giving them a purpose
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 06:05:35 AM »
Awesome collection of Adj wrench's, looks like over 60.. and you got the last 4 for a buck!!! 
Talk about being in the right place at the right time....

I have a small place & my storage space is limited, so I need to stack my tools by type in toolboxes, file cabnets, shelves, even toolbags hanging from the framework.
my storage is looking like a hoarder buried alive. but it is Organized Hoarding.
Aloha!  the OldTool guy
Master Monkey Wrench Scaler

Offline Branson

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 07:54:44 AM »
It's not really bad until the only room you have left is the ceiling, and massive amounts of stuff are clinging to the rafters.

Offline jimwrench

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2012, 03:30:55 PM »
 About used up all available wall space in basement but room with pictured wrenchs has exposed joists so I may try nails in joists. Don't want them in walk areas as they would be headknockers but area along walls is possibility.
Jim
Mr. Dollarwrench