Author Topic: major score and sale!  (Read 1664 times)

Offline bird

• Contributor
  • Resident Rambler
major score and sale!
« on: May 15, 2012, 01:04:56 AM »
Hi folks,
    The Tuckahoe antique mall is a few minutes away from me.  This guy, Herb,  ran the best tool booth you've ever seen.  His tools are sharpened, repaired, preserved.....  ect.  No one in the state of Virginia can compare to his tools.  Unfortunetly, he died a while back.  I happened to go into the antique "mall" today. All of the tools in his booth are 50 percent off.  i just spent 137 dollars on some of his tools.  But, that's also a savings of 137.   
     Anyhow, there are still a lot of tools left.  Molding planes, braces, saws, chisels, block planes, and a few axes are still there.  So, if anyone is looking for anything in particuar, LET ME KNOW!!!!  This is a once in a lifetime opportunity!  If I had enough money, I'd buy every single tool that was left.   But, if anyone is looking for something in particular, let me know.  (I forgot to mention turn screws/ screwdrivers/ piano tools....).   They are open on Thursday, so let me know if anyone's looking for something.
cheers,
jenny

I bought a 4 inch yankee ratcheting screwdriver,  an awesome rabbet plane, a spokeshave (double blade kind),  a bench knife, an old craftsman scraper, and three wrenches that I have not yet figured out how to describe or phot0.
Hope everyone's doing well.
Silent bidder extraordinaire!
"Aunt birdie, I think you're the best loser ever!!!!!!"

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
Re: major score and sale!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 01:09:13 AM »
Any Bergman wrenches, or H D Smith tools?
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline bird

• Contributor
  • Resident Rambler
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 02:23:35 AM »
Any Bergman wrenches, or H D Smith tools?

Papaw, 
   I just bought a H.D. Smith  "perfect handle"  Pat. specialty open end automotive wrench , circa 1910   wrench.

Am I correct that I should be looking for Bergman or HD smith tools?  I'm going back on Thursday  (the next day the store is open).  Quite honestly, for the first time in my life, I'm considering buying most of the tools there, and putting them on my credit card.  I don't use my credit card. But, if I can buy top quality antique tools at 50 percent, it might be worth me doing.  I'm about done with a project that will give me 400 dollars that I didn't account for in my budget.  So, I think I'll buy as much as I can from that booth. 
      I bought a GORGEOUS side rabbet plane with two knickers on it....  it has a scew angled blade.......  which gives me much more confidence in tackling cross grain.  Perhaps the best thing I purchased was a bench shave. The craftsmanship that went into that bench shave is pretty much flawless!  I also bought a four inch yankee ratcheting screwdriver.  I've never seen one this small, before.  It's in mint condition.
     Well, those are a few of things I purchased today.
cheers,
bird

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 03:00:54 AM »
I am looking for Bergman straight adjustables, they came in curved models and I have all those. They also made straight ones in 4,6,8,and 10 inch models that are scarce.
I also want H D Smith Perfect Handle "Crescent" types and open end wrenches.
Are the regular prices antique store level? In other words overpriced by my standards, Half price could be more than some are worth, since antique stores tend to put too high a price on things.
Looking for these-
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline bird

• Contributor
  • Resident Rambler
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 03:34:34 AM »
The guy who ran this booth, Herb, was a decent guy.  I think he charged the right price for each tool that he sold.  So, in other words, half the price of what he priced a tool at is a steel!!!   I realize this isn't a wrench reference.  ..  But, he'll sell a good chisel for somewhere between 18-30 dollars.  I can't buy a new decent chisel for that price!!!    So, I think that he did not have the cheapest prices, because his tools were in pristine condition, and now they are 50 percent off!  Basically, I have this job I'm trying to finish.....  it will bring me a few hundred dollars.  My budget did not include that job.  I plan on spending all of that money on buying as many tools from Herb as I can.....   this is a once in a lifetime opportunity.
    Old Herb has been to my house before....  he's bought tools from me in the past.  Of course, my passion is wrenches.  But, my occupation is being a woodworker.  I can't pass up a good chisel!!!!!    I suppose I'll buy what I can, post pictures, and talk to all of you folks after the fact.
cheers,
bird.

Offline Branson

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 05:54:24 PM »
I can always use an extra Stanley 53 or 54 spokeshave.

Offline amertrac

• Contributor
  • ny mountain man
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 06:10:07 PM »
Did you see any 4 in or under adj wrenches? (monkey,crescent type, or bicycle) no pipe wrenches
bob w.
TO SOON ULD UND TO LATE SCHMART

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 06:55:37 PM »
I'm on the hunt for "Thorsen/Allied" branded pipe wrenches if you see them.
"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717