Author Topic: Hello  (Read 3768 times)

Offline Bulucanagria

Hello
« on: August 30, 2014, 11:14:47 PM »
I am known variously as Bulucanagria, Dan and "It's him again."

I am joining here for a variety of reasons. Of course I have the perfectly normal appreciation of tools for their combination of utility and beauty. There's something about a hefty hunk of wood and/or metal that you can use to make another hunk of wood or metal into something useful. I've held on to, and let go of, many wonderful tools throughout the years.

About that letting go. I must admit that letting go is what has compelled me to join here. I recently acquired a large mechanic's toolbox (Rem-Line) that was from an old Buick dealership and was at least 60 years old. It was loaded with a wide variety of tools. I won't tell you how much I got it for because you wouldn't believe me if I said I got it for $100. (oops)

While most of these tools were modern and ordinary, there were several gems in there, as well as a few that I suspect may be gems. So, while I will be browsing and maybe commenting across the board, the bulk of my activity will be of the "What the hell is this?" variety. I sell a lot of my stuff on Ebay so it behooves me to know what I'm talking about. There are also a few pieces I'm not quite ready to let go of that I'd like to know more about, like a pair of gorgeous HKP nippers that I've had for several years.

That's about it. While my intentions may not be the purest, I fully intend for my participation here to be respectful and within the rules. If I do step out of line I fully expect to be told so and maybe even given several dirty looks. Go ahead. I can take it.

Dan Perkins
Trash to Treasure Winner 2014

Offline Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 07:12:30 AM »
Welcome Dan I hope you enjoy the gang and we love pictures of your finds.

Offline Bulucanagria

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 07:31:19 AM »
Thanks.

I'll be dropping pictures around, I'm sure. Is the picture of the toolbox in this post too big? I know some forums like to limit picture size to conserve server use but I don't know if that's an issue here.

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 09:11:56 AM »
On my notepad the picture fit in the frame perfect.

Welcome from Denver, CO.

What is your eBay user ID?  There are several in here who list on eBay. You kight hsve some luck selling some on the selling forum here. We tend to be pretty thrifty lot, but when it is special....... & it may save you some fees.

I'm not surprised by the <$100 price tag.  My personal favorite price is <$1 for toold, shipped.  I get em in pretty regular (2-3 × / month) where tools cost <$100 and shipping is > $200.  Its like tool Christmas.

Chilly

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 11:06:48 AM »
Hi Dan, Welcome from Florida.

Mike
Check out my ETSY store at: OldeTymeTools

Offline bear_man

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 12:27:01 AM »
Hello and welcome from north central Idaho.

Offline Bulucanagria

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 02:02:00 AM »
Hello everyone from everywhere.

My Ebay handle is the same as here with a 1 tagged on. All I have right now is a gift set of two Vise-Grip wrenches in the original package. I just sold a 4" Stanley 34V level with box and instructions. I posted it one evening and by morning it sold for my BIN price. I probably left money on the table but I scored it for free so I won't complain.

The $100 for the tool box wasn't that crazy, but with all this?

The oxygen torch actually came from a free pile at the same location. I stopped for that and the guy was wheeling the box out with the price tag. He hadn't reached the end of his driveway before I bought it.

Offline lbgradwell

• Oakville, ON
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 11:22:50 AM »
I'd say that is a MAJOR score, Dan!

I'm a noted cheapskate & would happily have paid $100 for the boxes...

Kijiji King

Offline turnnut

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 04:35:41 PM »
I think it is the 6th picture down, the spring action adjustable wrench is a Bullard self adjusting pipe wrench, pat # 742,389 pat date October 27, 1903
Bullard Automatic Wrench Co. Providence, R.I.
wrench patented by Frank Bullard a physician from L.A. Calif.

there were more than one size made, Frank

Offline rusty

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 04:39:32 PM »
Why there is a window screen rolling tool in the middle of all that is a question that will never be answered....
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline Bulucanagria

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2014, 08:28:30 PM »
I'd say that is a MAJOR score, Dan!

I'm a noted cheapskate & would happily have paid $100 for the boxes...

Yeah I'm both cheap and poor. I'm just glad that I happened to have some cash on me when I found that.

I think it is the 6th picture down, the spring action adjustable wrench is a Bullard self adjusting pipe wrench, pat # 742,389 pat date October 27, 1903
Bullard Automatic Wrench Co. Providence, R.I.
wrench patented by Frank Bullard a physician from L.A. Calif.

Thanks, Frank. It is marked Bullard so I was able to glean some info on it, but you've really filled it out.

Why there is a window screen rolling tool in the middle of all that is a question that will never be answered....

Actually, I may be able to. From what the guy told me the toolbox was from his Father's and Grandfather's Buick dealership and was at least 60 years old. It seems he inherited it and it sat in the back of his garage and ended up being a kind of junk drawer. He was getting divorced and selling his house so he was just clearing stuff out. Most of the tools are automotive but there are a few oddballs besides the spline roller. The large files in the top compartment are actually farrier's files which, I supposed, could be considered very early precursors of automotive tools.

Offline oldtools

• Keep OldTools alive by giving them a purpose
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2014, 08:49:46 PM »
Welcome & Aloha from Hawaii...  Nice score!!   is that 3/4" drive sockets? (1st photo),  What is that crooked ratchet? (5th photo) & 3/4" drive ratchet? in last photo.  also what's in the pouches?   Thank you for sharing...
Aloha!  the OldTool guy
Master Monkey Wrench Scaler

Offline Bulucanagria

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2014, 10:59:05 PM »
Yes, they are 3/4 sockets, mostly Walden. If memory serves me (which it usually doesn't) the offset ratchet and large 3/4 ratchet did not have brand names on them that I could find easily. I'll look a little more closely in the next day or so and let you know what I find. I'll also share the contents of the pouches as I haven't really looked closely at them yet. It's been a very busy month.

Offline bear_man

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2014, 03:11:14 AM »
Good grief!  You mean to say you actually paid $100 for that piddle of stuff?  You got took!  (Bear is lucky he didn't have a mouthful of coffee when he typed that.)

Offline Bulucanagria

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2014, 07:18:33 AM »
Good grief!  You mean to say you actually paid $100 for that piddle of stuff?  You got took!  (Bear is lucky he didn't have a mouthful of coffee when he typed that.)

They saw me coming from a mile away!