Author Topic: Does this mean anything to anyone  (Read 3101 times)

Offline 1930

• Contributor
Does this mean anything to anyone
« on: June 13, 2011, 05:37:25 PM »
Someone on another forum was describing an early Plymouth toolkit, they said ........and three 'flat wrenches', given as #23, #25, and #29. The numbers refer to industry standard wrench patterns. ........Does this mean anything to anyone here??
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.

Offline Bus

• Contributor
    • The Wrenchingnews
Re: Does this mean anything to anyone
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 06:22:10 PM »
Industry Standards were numbers assigned to wrenches originally by Williams (or maybe Whitman & Barnes before Williams). They were consequently use by several other companies and became known as Industry Standard Numbers.

The wrenches in question were light cap screws or engineer's wrenches with double open ends (at 15 degrees).

No. 23 was for U.S.S. Bolt Sizes 3/16" & 1/4" with milled openings of 13/32" & 1/2".

No. 25 was for U.S.S. Bolt Sizes 1/4" & 5/16", Hex Cap Screw Size 5/16" and S.A.E. size 5/16" with milled openings of 1/2" & 19/32"

No. 27 was for U.S.S. Bolt Sizes 5/16" & 3/8"  with milled openings of 19/32" & 11/16"

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 07:58:06 PM »
Thanks Bus, is there any place on the web where I could view a photo of what was considered at the time  ......The wrenches in question were light cap screws or engineer's wrenches with double open ends (at 15 degrees). ..........Also it would be interesting to see a complete list of the missing numbers
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.

Offline lbgradwell

• Oakville, ON
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 08:05:59 PM »
Check out this page at AA for more info on Standard Numbers...

http://home.comcast.net/~alloy-artifacts/table_oe_wrench.html

Kijiji King

Offline Bus

• Contributor
    • The Wrenchingnews
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 10:13:23 PM »
Here's a picture or a Billings & Spencer Engineer Wrench I scanned from a 1925 catalog.

I started to compile a chart of Williams Industry Standard Wrenches and their sizes cross referenced with Billings & Spenser (one of the companies that didn't use the Standard numbers, Armstrong and Whitman & Barnes (the predecessor of Williams) several years ago using descriptions found in old catalogs.  It's a time consuming process and I haven't worked on it lately. What I have can be seen here:

http://www.wrenchingnews.com/industry-standard-wrenches/chart.html

A lot of blank spaces. If anyone would feel compelled to take or help with this project I would send you a copy of the Excel Spreadsheet.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 11:34:56 AM by Bus »

Offline eddie hudson

• NYC
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 07:42:44 AM »
I started to compile a chart of Williams Industry Standard Wrenches and their sizes cross referenced with Billings & Spenser (one of the companies that didn't use the Standard numbers, Armstrong and Whitman & Barnes (the predecessor of Williams) several years ago using descriptions found in old catalogs.  It's a time consuming process and I haven't worked on it lately. What I have can be seen here:

http://www.wrenchingnews.com/web-misc/standard-wrench-size-chart-006.htm

A lot of blank spaces. If anyone would feel compelled to take or help with this project I would send you a copy of the Excel Spreadsheet.

WOW! that's some undertaking. Maybe someone with an old W&B or Armstrong catalog or two can help out.

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 10:06:09 AM »
Thats all a big help, thanks for that