Author Topic: Some more little guys  (Read 6299 times)

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
Some more little guys
« on: October 26, 2012, 12:43:51 PM »
A couple of Coes 4 5/8 in. "baby" wrenches.  The wife likes these and made me buy them.

Mike
Check out my ETSY store at: OldeTymeTools

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
Re: Some more little guys
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 03:44:36 PM »
So you each have one then! I only have ONE!
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline lbgradwell

• Oakville, ON
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 03:57:01 PM »
The wife likes these and made me buy them.

Excellent.

Kijiji King

Offline oldtools

• Keep OldTools alive by giving them a purpose
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 10:06:28 PM »
Cool twin baby's
Aloha!  the OldTool guy
Master Monkey Wrench Scaler

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 10:36:18 PM »
That is neat.   Never seen them identical, mine are different from each other.   I have a feeling those two have been together for a long time.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 01:21:46 PM »
Hi John,
If you look real close at the bottoms of them you'll see that they are different.  The one on the left is the newer one, it has the swaged on handle retainer, while the older one on the right has the screw on handle nut.  Hard to see unless you enlarge the picture.

I wish I could tell you that they had been together for long time but that is not the case.  I got one back in March of last year and the other off ebay a month or so ago. 

I didn't post a picture, but there are also two different all metal ones that are about 5 in. long.  One has a round handle with some knurling at the end of the handle, and the other, much more common one, has a kind of oval shaped smooth handle similar to the larger all metal versions, although the larger ones have a pattern on the handle.

My quest is to find one with the round handle and the knurling, I have never seen one, only a picture in Herb Page's  Coes Wrench book.

Mike

Offline jimwrench

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 03:23:20 PM »
 Sure she did.
Jim
Mr. Dollarwrench

Offline DM11

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 12:42:34 AM »
Great pair of wrenches!
Hold Fast

David

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 05:46:44 PM »
Here are a couple more small ones.

The hand vise is the smallest one of this type I have ever seen(the smallest one I have has a handle).  This one is only 3 3/8 in. long and has 1 1/8 in. wide jaws.  Marked Germany.

The little DOE is unusual in that it is only 3 in. long and yet the openings are 1/2 in. and 3/8 in.  Rather large for a wrench this small.  The offset appears to be factory made.  It is stamped G.R.C. Co.  A Google search shows that it was probably made for the General Railway Signal Company.

Offline Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 06:41:44 PM »
Some of the baby Coes wrenches also have a center mark on the top of the wrench that was used when they turned the threads for the retaining nut. I have one with the center mark and one without. Different wood was also used, not sure if they were different prices when new or not.

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 06:52:17 PM »
Jim Bode has some on his web site.  One with a rosewood handle and the hole in the end is $395.00.

One with an ivory handle is $365.00.

And one with a tulipwood handle for only $265.00

I'm pretty sure Coes didn't make any with ivory handles.  Not so sure about the other woods.

Mike

Offline HeelSpur

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 07:49:15 PM »
Here are a couple more small ones.

The hand vise is the smallest one of this type I have ever seen(the smallest one I have has a handle).  This one is only 3 3/8 in. long and has 1 1/8 in. wide jaws.  Marked Germany.

The little DOE is unusual in that it is only 3 in. long and yet the openings are 1/2 in. and 3/8 in.  Rather large for a wrench this small.  The offset appears to be factory made.  It is stamped G.R.C. Co.  A Google search shows that it was probably made for the General Railway Signal Company.
I have one of those hand vises, this is only the 2nd one I've seen. Are they machinist vises?
RooK E

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 08:30:54 PM »
HS,

I don't think they are machinists vises.  They were to be handheld and would hold an object while you worked on it.  For instance if you had something small that you needed to file, and your bench vise was too big.  You could also put this in a bench vise if needed.

I have another Goodell-Pratt that I'll post a picture of.  Totally different than this one. 

They aren't particularly rare, although this one is the first I've seen in sometime.

Mike

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 09:06:01 PM »
Here is a very small Yankee No. 991 machinists vise.  The jaw width is 1 1/2 in. and a max. opening of 1 11/16 in.  Overall length is 4 3/8 in.
Upon closer inspection I realized that the replaceable jaw pads are MIA, max opening should probably be about 1 1/2 in.

Mike

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2013, 09:13:36 PM »
This is the smallest hand vise I have, or have ever seen.  The jaws are 1/4 in. wide and have a 1/8 in. maximum opening.  The handle is hollow so that a long wire may be held in the jaws.  Maker is the Lowell Wrench Co.

Mike