Author Topic: Spintite nut drivers  (Read 9612 times)

Offline jimwrench

• Contributor
Spintite nut drivers
« on: July 25, 2011, 07:35:26 PM »
 Got a neat set of nutdrivers today. Seven drivers up to 1/2  in their own wooden holder. Decal on holder is pretty fragmented but ( Spintites) is the label. Have had Spintite drivers before but not a set in a holder. Walden-Worcester was manufacturer but don't know vintage of these. Walden started using (Spintite) in 1923 but didn't get trademark registered until  1975 according to alloy. Don't know why the long delay. Don't know if any patent is involved (none stamped on drivers) Anyway they just spoke to me and I invited them home. Any addition info would be appreciated
Jim
Mr. Dollarwrench

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
Re: Spintite nut drivers
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 08:24:39 PM »
They would have probably come home with me also!
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Online skipskip

• Contributor
  • Glenmont NY USA
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 11:38:34 PM »
I have no evidence to back this up, but  they feel like 50's to me..

the rack, the printing, wood handles

Skip
A place for everything and everything on the floor

lzenglish

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 09:14:25 AM »
Beautiful looking set! I have never seen a set like this with the wood stand either.

Wayne

Offline fliffy42

• Contributor
  • Leominster Massachusetts
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 06:45:04 PM »
I have a set that should be with someone who might appreciate them better. I will dig them out and get a picture. The handles are wood painted black and the base is cast not wood. Pretty cool actually.
Looking for Bluepoint X & XD Series Box Wrenches

Offline Uncle Buck

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 05:06:33 PM »
Very cool set there!

Offline rusty

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 09:41:06 AM »

There are at least 3 versions of the base, the wood one, the cast one with round ends, and a cast one with flat ends. The only one I have any date info for the the square end one, which is listed in a 1944 catalog I have. Listed as set T23, with 7 regular drivers.
A seperate listing for individual drivers lists 11 sizes tho, so you don't get them all.
Set includes: #3406,3408,3410,3411,3412,3414,3416

Last 2 digits are the size in 32's

Allthough the catalog lists them under Walden, and calls them 'Walden Spintite Socket Wrenches' , the base is clearly markes 'Stevens Spintite Wrenches'

There are also at least 4 versions of the handle design, and the pictures I have don't match between the set and the individual driver shown. Variations include, non ribbed handles, shallow ribbed handles, and fairly deep ridged handles (stanley style).

There are also 2 variations on the taper into the ferrule, almost none, and a long taper about 1/3 the handle length. The set in my catalog shown both ferrule types in the same set however, so it may just be a function of shaft size...
(Matches Jim's set, wiuth 2 untapered, 5 tapered)

Tho, I am not certain, I syspect that these were also made in both light varnish, and a dark (stain?) finish, as I have seen fairly dark ones that don't appear to be just stained/dirty, however, it could be just old varnish turning dark...
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.