Author Topic: Unknown tool, Pestellike heavy ball shape end with handle all metal  (Read 925 times)

Offline wade

I picked up  two antique metal tools at an antique shop recently and I am trying to determine what they are used for. One is about 9 inches long and has a 2 inch in diameter metal sphere at the end. The other is similar but the handle is a bit shorter. The handles are tooled for a better grip. They look like large metal pestles. My guess was maybe a tool for pushing hot glass into a mold. Need help identifying these please and thank you.

Note: On more internet surfing I think these may be dapping tools used for forming sheet metals into dome shapes used by jewelry makers, sheet metal workers, silver and copper smiths. Please if you have any other ideas or would like other pictures let me know.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 06:57:11 AM by wade »

Offline bill300d

Re: Unknown tool, Pestellike heavy ball shape end with handle all metal
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 01:30:35 PM »
They remind me of carvers mallets but then again I didn't sleep at a Holiday in last night either..
A person who could really read human minds would be privileged to gaze on some correct imitations of chaos.

Offline wade

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 04:25:38 PM »
Thanks for your input. Hopefully someone out there has seen these before.

Offline Yadda

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 04:36:21 PM »
The pointed one looks like a dibbler, but second similar one without the point indicates a different purpose, plus it probably a little heavy for that purpose.
You might say I have a tool collecting problem....