Author Topic: Penens 3234 plier  (Read 965 times)

Offline Plyerman

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Northern Michigan
Penens 3234 plier
« on: April 17, 2019, 07:01:45 PM »
Old gadgety pliers tend to follow me home. I have no idea why or how. The more gadgety they are, the better. But most of them do not work as well as the sales literature back in the day said they would. These ones though seem like they would be pretty useful. The gripping power is incredible.

Mine are marked PENENS 3234. Alloy artifacts says they are from the late 50's early 60's. Says there were also nearly identical pliers sold by P&C and Plomb. Anybody else got a set?

http://alloy-artifacts.org/proto-empire.html#penens
My friends call me Bob. My wife calls me a lot worse.

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
Re: Penens 3234 plier
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 07:33:45 PM »
Hello, Bob. That is a cool looking tool!!  Is it compound leverage that gives it the grip? Does the moving handle pass through the head?? Regards, Lou
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline amecks

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 06:04:45 AM »
Very cool.  Do the jaws remain parallel as it opens?
Al
Jordan, NY

Offline Yadda

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 06:32:03 AM »
Sign me up!  I think mine are P & C.  I think that tool was licensed to several tool groups or at least branded for several.  I also believe there are at least two sizes. I've seen at least one photo with two different sizes.
You might say I have a tool collecting problem....

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2019, 11:10:14 AM »
I have a pair too that I got when I was a kid, many, many years ago. Unfortunately mine aren’t marked. They will hold something very tight...great leverage.

Mike
Check out my ETSY store at: OldeTymeTools

Offline EVILDR235

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2019, 06:23:33 PM »
I have two pairs with the Proto name and one pair with the P&C name. I never knew they made a Penens pair. If I remember correctly one pair of the Proto and the P&C ones have the same pattern on the handle and the other Proto pair has a different pattern on the handle. Interesting design.

EvilDr235

Offline Plyerman

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Northern Michigan
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2019, 07:06:52 PM »
Lou, the one handle "cams" against the moveable jaw, which has a pivot hinge further back on the tool. Hmmm, guess I didn't explain that very well but bottom line you move the handle a long ways and the jaw doesn't move very far, hence compound leverage.

Al, the jaws stay "mostly" parallel to each other throughout their full range.

Lyndon, I did not know there were two sizes. Mine measure 8 inches long. Do you know if the other size is larger, or smaller?

Mike, agreed, a very tight grip.

Evil, my Penens has the exact same handle pattern as the Proto and the P&C pictured on the Alloy Artifacts page I linked to in my first post.

My friends call me Bob. My wife calls me a lot worse.

Offline Yadda

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2019, 07:51:50 PM »
Lou, the one handle "cams" against the moveable jaw, which has a pivot hinge further back on the tool. Hmmm, guess I didn't explain that very well but bottom line you move the handle a long ways and the jaw doesn't move very far, hence compound leverage.

Al, the jaws stay "mostly" parallel to each other throughout their full range.

Lyndon, I did not know there were two sizes. Mine measure 8 inches long. Do you know if the other size is larger, or smaller?

Mike, agreed, a very tight grip.

Evil, my Penens has the exact same handle pattern as the Proto and the P&C pictured on the Alloy Artifacts page I linked to in my first post.

I believe the other size is larger. Probably 10 inch.

Offline Yadda