Author Topic: Very old wrench - Maker? Use?  (Read 3926 times)

Offline amecks

Very old wrench - Maker? Use?
« on: October 19, 2014, 11:22:07 AM »
I'd like to know more about this tool.   I have it on eBay but there is not much interest in it and I am considering donating it to the Glenn H. Curtiss Museum in Hammondsport.
This wrench with cast number "6713" came with another wrench - an "S" shaped Billings and Spencer circa 1880-1910.  They were both stamped AWS - owners initials or a company/organization.  The wrench size appears to be 1" at both ends.
I have spotted similar wrenches on the internet and eBay but they are posted with no information.  Some of the wrenches were found by typing 6712 instead of the actual 6713 number.
There is almost no rust.  The roughness seems to me to be part of the casting.

Thanks
Al
UPDATE:  The auctions ended and I did not relist.  I am not 100% sure but may donate to the Curtiss Museum if they want them.  Here's a photo of the "S" wrench (Billings & Spencer #74)( 1"  x  1 1/8"):

« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 06:44:17 PM by amecks »
Al
Jordan, NY

Offline eddie hudson

• NYC
Re: Very old wrench - Maker? Use?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 02:45:54 PM »
I just picked up something similar made by Williams (marked <W>) The size is not marked but measures about 1 1/8" x 1 1/4" on the hex side. It's marked "American Special" Bklyn NY USA (no oval)  on the face.

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 11:55:45 PM »
Amecks,

It looks like a wrench for adjusting a machine tool.
FIL has a big Bridgeport in the shop. Uses 1" & 7/8", I think.

I've been looking for some. He has a couple of craftsman combos hanging next to the mill and they don't look right. Too shiny.

I offered engineers wrenches, with a single open end, but he likes the box end too much.

Chilly

Offline gibsontool

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 09:59:51 PM »
 I like that yardstick,I don't know if I've ever seen one  marked in portions of a yard like yours. I'll to look around and see if any of mine are like that.

Offline amecks

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 07:37:28 AM »
Never even noticed the yardstick markings!  I've had it a long time but only just put it by my workbench this year.

I am sending these wrenches to the Glenn H Curtiss Museum in Hammondsport, NY.  The two in these photos and another Fairmount from the 40's or 50's.  They will be using the wrenches in a display.

http://glennhcurtissmuseum.org/  It's a wonderful museum with something for everyone.

Here's a photo of the restoration shop and  a tool board.   

Al
Jordan, NY

Offline gibsontool

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 10:29:14 AM »
I went and had a look at the yardsticks that I have and out of about 150 rules I was surprised to find 4 with the yards marked in fractions similar to yours. I guess that they are fairly common.  I did notice that the ones I have also have the metal bound ends  like yours does 

Offline Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 06:38:04 PM »
I have a Stanley #41 yard stick that is marked in inches on one side and fractions of a yard on the other side.

Offline Branson

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2014, 07:56:25 AM »
I think a lot of yard sticks were made this way, especially back in the day when people made their own clothes.  I remember the clerks measuring cloth out of the bolt using one of these when my mother wanted a particular amount of yardage for a shirt or a dress.  Patterns usually gave the yardage needed for the garment.

Offline lmpeter@aol.com

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 06:04:55 AM »
probably for a Specific tool, service kit if you will.
Larry

Offline Charles Garrett

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2014, 12:10:41 PM »
Several years ago I worked with the Curtiss boys to indentify an engine the museum in Otumwa, IA had. It was a Curtiss Airship engine sold thru Harry R Geer of St Louis in early 1900s.  My Jenny is now restored to original factory specs in the Air & Space museum in Sandy Eggo, CA

Offline lauver

• Belton, TX
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2014, 10:02:07 PM »
amecks,

I don't know what the offset combo wrench is for, but it would make a hell of a drawer pull in your shop (you know the big drawer with all the hammers and mallets in it).  It could also be used as a door pull for your shops man door.

So if nobody buys it, put it to practical use in your shop.

Of course, there is absolutely nothing wrong with donating it to a tool museum.
Member of PHARTS - Pefect Handle Admiration, Restoration, and Torturing Society