Author Topic: A bit off topic...  (Read 12178 times)

Offline 64longstep/Brian

• Contributor
  • Phoenix Arizona
A bit off topic...
« on: May 05, 2011, 03:26:18 AM »
It is interesting apprenticing under a Master Blade smith when I only get to see him once a year.
My latest challenge is to produce a quality Damascus knife for him by March, and I have no clue what I want to make. I’m thinking I’ll make 4” drop point with a leather ring handle with brass bolster and end cap, using 5 different types of steel varying carbon content folding it 5 times witch would make 160 layers. Any in put from you folks would be greatly approached.
Brian-

If all else fails use a bigger hammer…
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
Re: A bit off topic...
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 03:42:19 AM »
You have 10 months to do it? I'd think you should be able to learn enough in that period of time!

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline 64longstep/Brian

• Contributor
  • Phoenix Arizona
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 03:58:28 AM »
This will be the second Damascus blade I will have made, and it will be tougher than the first. This peace I will have to correct the mastics I made on the first one. I’m hoping that I will be able to get it right on the first try.

Offline Branson

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 07:41:12 AM »
Hope you have a power hammer for all the drawing out!   Are you starting with a stack?  What sort
of patterning are you aiming for?

The drop point sounds nice, and useful.  Me, I'd lean toward making a Scottish sgian dubh, but I'm
a sucker for old style blades.

Pictures.  Pictures would be nice...

lzenglish

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 07:55:03 AM »
It is interesting apprenticing under a Master Blade smith when I only get to see him once a year.
My latest challenge is to produce a quality Damascus knife for him by March, and I have no clue what I want to make. I’m thinking I’ll make 4” drop point with a leather ring handle with brass bolster and end cap, using 5 different types of steel varying carbon content folding it 5 times witch would make 160 layers. Any in put from you folks would be greatly approached.
Brian-

You lost me at 5 different types of steel! Lol Where does one buy 5 different types of steel? I know, the steel store, Right. Anyway, after seeing some of your work, I have complete confidence in your abilities to perform this task. I only hope you document it with some step by step photos to share on our site. I watched a documentory on the old school way of making of a Samurai Sword last year, and it was a very long and drawn out process of folding, drawing and mixing of the steel to get just the right carbon content. Best of Luck to you.

Wayne

Offline RLT

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 11:14:42 AM »
Tanto, or a khukri खुकुरी. Give yourself a challenge.

Offline 64longstep/Brian

• Contributor
  • Phoenix Arizona
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 02:33:15 PM »
Hope you have a power hammer for all the drawing out!   Are you starting with a stack?  What sort of patterning are you aiming for?
I don’t have a power hammer yet the work will be done with a 22 ton air over hydraulic press and by hand. I’ll be starting with a stack and see what kind of pattern pops out…

Lol Where does one buy 5 different types of steel?
My niece’s boyfriend is a machinist and can order the steel for me through work. 

Offline Branson

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 09:05:02 PM »
[quote authorYou lost me at 5 different types of steel! Lol Where does one buy 5 different types of steel?
Wayne [/quote]

Grin.  That depends on how much trouble you want to go to.  Old shovel blades.  Old bumpers.  RXR car siding -- old RXR scraps and pieces give a wide variety of steels, including carbide.  Cast off industrial band saw blades.  Steel banding.  You *could* turn some old re-bar into plates...  Maybe you could find some old ST-2...  I have a stash of 38/40 tool steel, 3/16 to 1/4 inch thick.

Offline Branson

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 09:12:08 PM »
[quote author=64longstep I don’t have a power hammer yet the work will be done with a 22 ton air over hydraulic press and by hand. I’ll be starting with a stack and see what kind of pattern pops out… [/quote]

Forge a bit on the thick side, and you can make patterns interesting by either grinding and forging out, or by fullering or punching and grinding.  Punching with a star drill ought to leave you with star patterns after you grind...  Or forge, twist, and reforge to shape will also give an interesting pattern.  H.H. Ellison Davis documents Viking "damascus" blades made of separate square stock twisted and then forge welded together.  I have the book somewhere...

I think if you have the forge welding down, you have an opportunity to play.

Offline 64longstep/Brian

• Contributor
  • Phoenix Arizona
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 10:09:34 PM »
The possibilities are endless, it all depends how much work you want to put in to it…

Offline Neals

• Contributor
  • Alberta, Canada
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 10:46:13 PM »
The possibilities are endless, it all depends how much work you want to put in to it…

Sounds to me like a pile of work and then you have to make a knife. Gotta be a labor of love

Offline 64longstep/Brian

• Contributor
  • Phoenix Arizona
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2011, 11:03:43 PM »
Sounds to me like a pile of work and then you have to make a knife. Gotta be a labor of love
It truly is...

Offline keykeeper

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2011, 09:54:58 PM »
Brian,

I don't think you will have any problems at all getting good welds using that press, as long as the stack is hot enough. You are using propane forge to keep it nice and clean, right? We made a billet at a workshop we had from cable, and it welded right up under that intense heat and pressure.

I like the ladder patterns and the teardrop pattern achieved by various grinding and drilling methods on the billet.

Check out www.atar.com for some inspiration on patterns. I'd love to spend a few weeks working with Jim Hrisoulas in his shop. Would definitely be a learning experience.
-Aaron C.

My vintage tool Want list:
Wards Master Quality 1/2" drive sockets (Need size 5/8), long extension, & speeder handle.
-Vlchek WB* series double box wrenches.
-Hinsdale double-box end round shank wrenches.

Offline 64longstep/Brian

• Contributor
  • Phoenix Arizona
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2011, 11:14:49 PM »
Thanks for the link, there are some nice blades there...