Author Topic: A Sale in Syracuse NY  (Read 158 times)

Offline amecks

A Sale in Syracuse NY
« on: March 22, 2024, 04:24:39 PM »
I think these folks have an auction business and they sell lefover stuff from a small warehouse a few times a year.  They carry a wide array of stuff - anything you'd find in a home.  I bought the Riverside wrench for the logo - I would like to find a spot to mount it on my Wards Riverside motorcycle.
The box of Dremel stuff cost a dollar, the bag of Dremels three dollars.  And three for the Prazision Artu Multi Plane.  This thing has six different ways it can be used - plane, drawing blade, plane cants and angles, linoleum and other material cutter, radial plane(inside curves), and ledge plane.  The Rain-X was $2, Gunk 50c, everything else $1 each.
Al
Jordan, NY

Offline Yadda

Re: A Sale in Syracuse NY
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2024, 05:34:03 PM »
Nice buys!
You might say I have a tool collecting problem....

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2024, 11:35:12 PM »
...my Wards Riverside motorcycle...
Hey, come on!  You can't just casually throw that in without a picture of the motorcycle!

Offline amecks

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2024, 08:22:14 AM »
I thought I might have posted that here.  maybe not.  The motorcycle does have some relevance to tools, since I use d**n near every tool in the garage to be able to build it.
This is a short version of the story...

When I bought the '68 Wards Riverside Mojave I didn't know if I would refurbish it or put a different engine in it.  Researching the bike led me to the Scorcher on the cover of Cycle Magazine (Feb '69) - then I knew I wanted a 650 twin engine.  The bike's running gear - forks, swingarm, wheels - are from a '87 Cagiva Alazurra.  The Mojave was built for Montgomery Wards by Benelli so the bike is 2/3 Italian and 1/3 British. Other features are a Ural headlight shell and switchgear, Hagon shocks, single carb, standard points and coil ignition, Podtronic regulator, Kawasaki 650 TT emblems, Benelli tank badge, spin on oil filter, and the oil tank is an obliquely sliced Sportster tank (the bike holds a bit more oil than a stock Triumph).  It weighs in at 360 pounds, a bit lighter than a stock Triumph.

I've had some amazing comments on the build from my friends.  British Cycle Supply featured it in their newsletter and Motorcycle Classics has featured it in their Reader's Rides column (March/April 2024 (although I haven't received my copy yet - Arghh!).

My initial "push" came from the late Pete Eischen who advised me on how to "fit" a different engine.  I wish he could have seen it finished.  My friend and neighbor Craig Reith machined and welded several parts - couldn't have done this without his help. Jim Mignogna of Jim's Motorsports in Weedsport NY helped me through tricky spots with advice and parts.  And my friend Hunter Minney supplied some essential engine parts. And special thanks to Tamara for believing in me and my vision.
Al
Jordan, NY