Author Topic: Mega find  (Read 11983 times)

Offline Nolatoolguy

Mega find
« on: May 10, 2012, 08:31:01 PM »
Long story short over the past two years I got to know someone. They mentioned in the past they have alot of woodworking machines and tools from when there husband passed back in 97.

Today I went on over to there house. Boy, was I shocked when I walked into the garge. He was deffinitly a woodworker. She said most of the machines were bout second hand in the 70s and 80s I am talking tons of machines such as tablesaw, planer, lathe, etc. You name it it was there. I wasnt seeing many handtools but by the sheer volume of machines was shocked. I mean a cramped 3 car garge and shed. She then said come on down to the basement. Down there was all the hand tools and were he did the assembly. A whole set of planes every kind imiganable, sets of chisels, and the list goes on and on. I really wish I took some pictures just to show you guys his amazing set up. I didnt feel that is was the right time yet, even then my camera doesnt work.

We sat down for some brownies at the dinning room table he built. It was amazing the stories she told me. Anyway we got to talking. She talked about some of this stuff like it was garbage nowdays. I explained to her however its old it is still great machinery and even thoe they are older chisels and stuff they can still bring a penny. Before we left we looked back and she started talking about how to get rid of it. I told her a few things and very rough values and let her know they were just a rough comparison to what I have saw on craigslist and completed ebay listings.

I wish I could make a deal with her but as I told her I cant give her a fair offer. I have a feeling if I was to offer her a hundred bucks for this an two for this an just toss out numbers she would take them. Normally thats what I would do but this is just the sweetest little old lady you could think of, and I just cant take advantadge of her.

I will be going over Saterday to help her go through some stuff. Ime hoping to work out some sort of deal that if I help her get these tools to a better home and clean up that I could get a few small tools.
And I'm proud to be an American,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
Re: Mega find
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 09:07:12 PM »
Good for you! Treat her with respect and help her get value for those tools. Is she in a hurry to sell? Maybe you can help her sell on Ebay or Craigslist?

Don't approach it with personal gain in mind, keep the thought that you will be doing her a good deed.
Kharma will reward you.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline keykeeper

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 09:29:30 PM »
Good on you, Neil. Be a watchdog for her, and don't let some greedy a--hole rob her of the value of all those tools. You know what is what, and what sells for how much.

Even if you don't get one single thing in the deal, you can walk away with a clear conscience that you didn't rip her off.

Tools can always be found and bought, but a good reputation and guilt free mind is priceless!!!
-Aaron C.

My vintage tool Want list:
Wards Master Quality 1/2" drive sockets (Need size 5/8), long extension, & speeder handle.
-Vlchek WB* series double box wrenches.
-Hinsdale double-box end round shank wrenches.

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 09:57:03 PM »
You're a good person for doing a good deed, Nola.  Be careful to manage expectations.

....don't let some greedy a--hole rob her of the value of all those tools......

If you lived in LA you could score a toolbox full of tools tonight that some wife is giving away for FREE.  Talk about holes!  Every time I think about that situation I'm reminded to ask myself, "where is the first tiller and the first concrete mixer you owned?"
"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717

Offline Nolatoolguy

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 01:05:27 PM »
I got there about 7:00 this morning and was there for about 4 hours or so.
She decided that she needs to clear things up in preparation of the future. The first things she chose to do is to talk to her church and see if any struggling families are in need of basic user tools for house maintmence. She is also gonna contact a few local museums on some of the very old tools for a display or anything as she was at the muesuem for kids and the city and they had a small exibit on mechanical tools. She wants to keep the tools local. She is willing to donate only if they go to a good cause. Even thoe I am sure there are buyers on tooltalk for some of the smaller tools she is not comfortable with the online world. Even thoe they are nice pieces that some here would love we must respect her wishes. If she she feels of selling tools online I will let you guys know.

But I will tease you guys with what shes got. If any of the names on here are wrong please forgive me as some were very hard to make out but most were easy to make out.
Oliver model  144 6” jointer
Oliver  192 bandsaw 18”
Oliver 260D tablesaw 16” blade with all guides, outfeed and side table.
Delta 3666 radial arm saw 10”
Yates no. 13 wood lathe with a  9” swing and  63” center
Atlas model  1060 drill press 15”
Delta Homecraft  model  120 an its 11”
Potercable Speedmatic 89 circular saw
Keen Kutter kk200 drill ¼ inch capacity
Thor 1728 drill
Skilsaw model 125
Dayton 1789 3/8 drill
Stanely h722 drill
Craft King Jigsaw
Emmerts woodworking vise
Stanley no 700 vise
Columbian bench vise
Stanley model 358 miter with a diston saw
Montgomery wards miter box
Better homes 8 piece chisel set
Dunlap 4 piece chisel set
Winchester 24” hansaw
Disston d-23 26” handsaw
Disston 4b 12 point 14” handsaw
Disston and sons 1910 saw vise
Disston d8 handsaw
Stanley 39308 26”
Stanely saw sets
Keen kutter saw set
Buck brothers 8 piece lathe chisel set
Shop smith 5 lathe chisels
7 Sandvik chisel set
Lie Nelson 9n97 plane
Fuller ½ chisel
Irwin 13 piece brace bit set, wooden case
Keen Kutter brace auger bits 13 piece wooden case
Craftsman 6 piece auger set original box
Stanely 965N brace 8”
Dunlap brace
Keen Kuter 7C plane
Keen Kutter K5 plane
Keen Kutter K130 plane
Keen Kutter KK110 plane
Miller falls no 97 breast drill
Heller bros co 14’’ file rasp
Miller falls no. 7 plane
Miller falls no.8C plane
Miller falls no 11 plane
Miller falls no 15 plane
Miller falls no 15c plane
Miller falls no 22 plane
Miller falls no 140plane
Miller falls  no 209 plane
Miller falls no 900 plane
Miller falls 9790 plane
Miller falls no 68 plane
Stanely No 77 plane
Stanley no 110 plane
Stanely 100 plane
Stanely  no 5 plane
Stanely no 8 plane
Stanely no h1205 plane
Stanley no 12 scraper
Stanley no 66 scraper with blades
Marples no3 Corner clam
Nordic Forge 4 piece chisel set
HK porter strap cutter
Utica 50 pliers
Duff Norton 15 ton jack

That’s just a little tease theres tons more. Lots more chisels, drawer of files, drawer of bits, screwdriver draw, braces on the wall, several more handsaws, tons of hammers, a boatload of clamps, More handheld power tools. Basicly every woodworking tool. That’s just some of what shes got. She wants to do a complete list of inventory.
~Lee Greenwood

Offline Branson

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 06:49:37 AM »
Yikes!  Oliver stationary machines!?  Wood boxed Irwin brace and bits? 

I'm drooling!

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 06:57:27 AM »
There is both quality and quantity in there!
Please don't let anyone take advantage of her. If a local museum is not interested, at least try to get a reputable auction house to look at it.

Offline Nolatoolguy

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 01:42:32 PM »
Yes there is lots of tools with very good brands. Thats not even all of it thoe.
~Lee Greenwood

Offline Branson

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 06:33:25 PM »
Yeah, what Papaw said.  You will never regret seeing that she is done well.  I think you know that, though a lot of people never get it. 

A friend who is an Episcopal priest told me the only thing he learned of real value in seminary was, "Wake each day with a grateful heart."   And that's the thing with this case.  You can get up in the morning grateful for having seen this collection, having found it.  And having  been able to help the widow of the man who collected all these tools.  It doesn't get much better than that.

Offline Nolatoolguy

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 04:13:59 PM »
Thanks guys, I try to do people well.

I talked to her today and she said the mueseum got back to her today. They are intrested in the hand braces and spiral screwdrivers along with anything with visible gears that they could possibly show to the kids. We are going to go down to the mueseum this weekend. We plan on taking a box of various hand drills, and others they mentioned. If they are intrested and think they can bennifit from them they can have them.

~Lee Greenwood

Offline Nolatoolguy

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 04:44:16 PM »
We went to the mueseum today and they were intrested in a few braces and a breast drill. She decided to donate those.

We also met a gentleman who is intrested in a few handplanes for his shop. He is going to come over to her house later tonight to look at a few.

~Lee Greenwood

Offline Nolatoolguy

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2012, 10:10:02 PM »
I got there and we ordered pizza well looking over a few prices on the internet. I kept a few in the back of my head. isnt looking for top dollar but at the same time ime not gonna let her get crompletly ripped off.

He got there, and his first few offers were jokes. He then went to the tablesaw and offered 300. I said you couldnt buy the blades that were there for the saw for that price. After several minutes of no not thats to low he steped up the prices a little. He walked away with several planes for 360. She was more then happy with the price she got for them.
~Lee Greenwood

Offline Nolatoolguy

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2012, 10:12:03 PM »
i can keep update the list of things if you guys want so just say so if not I wont, don wana flood the thread with a list.
~Lee Greenwood

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2012, 10:25:07 PM »
Flood it!
"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2012, 11:02:29 AM »
Keep it up! It is a great story and we are interested.