Author Topic: What was your first vehicle? What do you drive now?  (Read 10119 times)

Offline Nolatoolguy

What was your first vehicle? What do you drive now?
« on: June 08, 2012, 02:58:40 AM »
I was wondering what your first vehicle was? I am sure looking back some had nice classic cars or trucks that you miss having nowdays. What vehicle do you drive now daily?

I have yet to have a truck of my own. I currently drive a 2006 ford E250 cargo van but its not mine. Its my cousins company van but he lets me use it as long as I keep the tank full. If ime not driving that I drive a ford f550 stake bed truck every now and then or if my parents dont need it a dodge nitro. Ive been known at school as "the guy who drives the yellow creeper child molester van" I just laugh and say well it works for me and its what I can afford.

I must say the e250 is a great workvan. You can really load her up with tools and material. Keep them secure on jobsites and out of the weather. Shes got a gas 5.4 liter v8  with a 4 speed automatic transmission with overdrive. She gets about 12-15 mpg on a average day. When we load her up all the way with tools and material she will get about 8. She can also only seat 2. 

The van were currently selling to upgrade to a freightliner sprinter work van.

Below is a few old pictures of my current ride, so stylish but it gets the job done.

I am saving up for a pickup truck something like a ford f150. Small enough to drive around town but big enough to toss my tools in the back for work. I really dont need or want anything super fancy no flatscreen tv or whatever fancy stuff you can add. I would like power windows and air conditioning but if ime able to find one without it at a good price I may get it. I prefer 4x4 for the snow but its not something that I have to have. I do want a automatic transmissision thoe cause I do not like manual in the city. Ive considered a ford transit or another econoline but probably not. A f250 I would love but its more then I need as a daily driver.

So what was your first car and what do you drive now?
And I'm proud to be an American,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood

Offline Neals

• Contributor
  • Alberta, Canada
Re: What was your first vehicle? What do you drive now?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 03:43:10 AM »
First car was a 1955chev 4 door sedan. Current is a 1995 Dodge 1/2 ton

Offline ray

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 05:58:59 AM »
My first car was a 1948 Chrysler Newyorker 4 door sedan , straight 8 engine, semi automatic
transmission, rear hanged back doors, room to hold a barn dance in the back.
It took about 10 days to get it to 50 M.P.H., and a week and a half to get it stopped.
Wish I still had it.

Ray

Offline amertrac

• Contributor
  • ny mountain man
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 06:08:43 AM »
My first car ( registered in my name) Was a 1934 oldsmobile business coup( no back seat all trunck)
  momma drives a 2011 suzuki suv . I do not own a car anymore. bob w.
TO SOON ULD UND TO LATE SCHMART

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 06:45:02 AM »
This could be a long list.   First car really mine was the families 1951 Ford fordor, with flathead six.   Then graduated up to a 1956 Chevy Delray tudor.   Had it for years while others came and went.   Currently driving a 1996 Chevy pickup, extended cab with 145K on it.  What I wish I still had was the 1963 Impala SS hardtop, and the 1955 chevy convertible, or the 1972 Buick Skylark GT.   
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 06:55:07 AM »
My first was a 1969 Chevy C10 stepside with a 307.  My current driver.....i go between 5 trucks and 2 cars so pick what day, but mostly the 1986 ford f150 I've had since new - the "beater"
"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717

Offline Branson

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 07:38:41 AM »
My first car was a Sunbeam Talbot roadster like the one in the picture, but white.  Loved the car, but couldn't afford the upkeep.
The car I drove the longest (almost 30 years) was a '69 VW Beetle.  It took me everywhere, even off road.
Currently, I drive a '98 Dodge Caravan.  Convenient and comfortable.

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 10:50:48 AM »
Love that Sunbeam, Branson!!

My first was a 57 Chevy Bel Air sedan.
  Don't be impressed. It was a 22,000 pound, light green, 4 door turd whose only talent was drinking gas by the barrel.
I paid 50 bucks for it. It had 1/2 frozen kingpins.
 You had to put a cheater pipe on the wheel to get it to turn at all.

It had a bad bendix on the starter when I got it, that would stick randomly.
 Why they sold it to me really.
So, being a kid, I had no idea what the hell a starter was, much less a bendix.
I went to the auto parts and started throwing parts at it wholesale. Plugs, wires,  cap n rotor. All the things I knew how to ask for by name................. hehehehehe
  Finally by brand new BIL stopped by to see the car.  He heard my tale, didn't say a word. Leaned over and smacked a screwdriver handle on the side of the solenoid, and she fired right up.
  So I was off to the auto parts to by me a $7 rebuilt starter.

I drove it for about a year and a 1/2. Sold it for 60 bucks when it developed a bad wheel bearing. 

I'd have replaced that bearing in 1/2 an hour now. heeheh
  yours Scott

Offline johnsironsanctuary

• Contributor
  • Super Contributor and Geezer in training
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 02:24:08 PM »
I learned to drive in my dad's 57 Ford Country Sedan wagon. Later, Mom let me drive her red 57 ford convertible. Both were rustbuckets within 5 years. A friend of the family taught me to drive a standard transmission in his 59 Peugeot. 4 on the tree. The first car I owned, was a 1931 Austin coupe. I drove it home, about 12 miles and when I went over the bump at the end of our driveway, the oil pan fell off. I never got to drive it again. I sold it about 6 years ago. I still have my second car, the 1931 Model A tudor that I am now restoring. Back in the late 60's I drove it about 10,000 miles. My current ride is a 1991 Honda Civic with 107,000 miles on it. If it weren't rusting so fast, I think it would last the rest of my life. It may anyway.

Top monkey of the monkey wrench clan

Offline rusty

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 05:57:09 PM »

Ah, yes, a green butt ugly 67 ford fairlane, with a metal emblem in the middle of the vinyl seat that would burn a brand into your back on a sunny day. With metal door handles that electrocuted you when you slid across the vinyl seat to unlock the passenger door. One of the ugliest models of the ugliest cars ever produced in detroid, with a broken middle leaf spring that made the car lean a bit to the left. sucked gas like a starving pig. Got me around town and to work tho.

Seized the motor (289) going up a hill one day when the bottom radiator hose popped and I didn't notice the steam going under the car....idiot light came on because all the idiot lights come on when the key is on and the motor isn't running...*duh*

cooled it off , jumped it, started right back up and ran another year...go figure..

Only possible reason for wishing I had it today is apparently they are now worth quite a bit more than the $50 I paid for it back than ;P
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 06:25:26 PM »
First car was half mine! My brother and I bought a 1939 Chevy sedan from an uncle in Galveston for $25 and two toilets from our father's stash!
We took 5 gallons of gas and a good battery to Galveston, fired her up and drove her home. That summer was fun, but I went away to college in Beaumont in September. When I next came home the car was gone. Brother said it slung a half shaft out on a county road, and he abandoned it there.
One or two I wish I still had-
'62 Volvo bought for $25 and a broken camera- this is the one I found the famous BAHCO wrench in that started me on wrench collecting.
'60 MGA- more fun than a young guy should have!

Let's don't start counting the motorcycles!

I drive a '98 GMC 1/2 ton I bought in 2001. Only 200,000 miles on it. It may be the last car or truck I buy.
And I ride a 1978 BMW R100/7 motorcycle for most of my commute to work.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 06:28:23 PM by Papaw »
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline Dakota Woodworker

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 09:11:38 PM »
My first vehicle was a truck, a 1937 International that I bought from my dad who got it from his dad who bought it new in Montana.  Dad put a little Ford 239 flat head V8 in it when I was just about 4 or 5.  I rebuilt the transmision (it had overdrive)  when I was in Highschool and did some other needed restoration and drove it for several years after my wife and I got married.  Sadly with money tight or non-existant in those early years of our marrige we sold it to a guy who restored it and even rebuilt that old engine. 

I am driving a 2001 Chevy Silverado 4x4 now that I bought a year ago.  It's a nice truck but I still dream of getting another old International to restore.
Current Dakota Auction Champion

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 09:54:43 PM »

Hey whats this?

[/quote]

I had a 59 Dodge Dart. Another 50 bucker.
 That thing was the size of a parade float!  It was a wonderful car.
 As long as you were driving forward.
 The reason I got this cream puff for 50 smacks was, it had no reverse!!

So here I had another 22,000 pound car, and as long as I had 4 other guys in the car (I think it would seat 45) to push when I couldn't turn around, it was fine.

Now I drive an 83 Toyota 4wd pickup.  First generation, the unbreakable trucks.
  No kidding, my transmission/transfer case weighs as much as a Mazda, alone!
         68,000 original miles and a Ca. car all its life.   Zero rust.
  Its worst problem is, no air conditioner!
If anyone spots an early Tojo pickup with air, up on blocks??
  yours Scott
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 09:58:53 PM by scottg »

Offline bird

• Contributor
  • Resident Rambler
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2012, 02:53:14 PM »
My first car was a 240 volvo station wagon....  I'm still driving it.  Yes, I've only owned one car in my life!  I've changed the insides of it a bit....  I took all of the seats out of it!  (well, not the drivers seat!).  I can fit 10 foot long boards in my car with the doors shut! ...  That's more then I can say for a lot of pick-up trucks!  Friends always say, "Jenny, you should sell that thing and get a truck." 
     "Why? I can fit a TON in this car!  I can also sleep in it VERY comfortably!"...  although, I don't do that very often anymore. I used to travel around to music festivals (mainly bluegrass) every weekend. But, I got that part of me out of my system. ..  now, I'm pissed if I have to drive more then 10 miles in a week. ... and god forbid if I have to buy a tank of gas more then once a month!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Luckily for me, my dad's a mechanic and has kept the car running quite well.  I suppose he has incentive to do so....  he made the mistake of telling me, "Bird, if you are this attached to this car, we could always 'drop a new (new old) engine' in it....  believe me.... he wants the car to keep running!!!!!  Otherwise he's going to be in for it!!!!  I'm sure he's sorry he ever said that to me!!!
cheers,
bird.
Silent bidder extraordinaire!
"Aunt birdie, I think you're the best loser ever!!!!!!"

Offline Nolatoolguy

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2012, 05:06:34 AM »
WOW, you guys had some great cars in the past. To bad you still didnt all have them. Expecially great prices you got them for.

And I'm proud to be an American,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood