Author Topic: Hand Planes  (Read 327611 times)

Jim C. and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Jim C.

Re: Hand Planes
« Reply #735 on: July 03, 2018, 11:42:53 AM »
The #220 block plane is pretty common and I’m guessing that some of you reading along in the thread probably have one in your collection and/or tool box.  I picked up a good “user” several years ago and did put it to work replacing a few bad boards on my parents deck and then rounding over the edges of a few tomato plant stakes in my mom’s garden......hence the examples in the #220 write up above.  Anyone else use a #220 or something similar?  Anyone have a favorite block plane they find themselves using more than any other in their collection?

Jim C.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 12:05:38 PM by Jim C. »
Our Go-To Type Study Member

Online Jim C.

« Reply #736 on: July 04, 2018, 10:08:53 AM »
I hope you all enjoy a Happy 4th of July with family and friends!

Jim C.

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #737 on: July 04, 2018, 12:07:36 PM »
Hello, Jim. Thanks for posting, and a Happy 4th of July to all!! Regards, Lou
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
« Reply #738 on: July 04, 2018, 01:42:27 PM »
I was at a farm auction and a fellow Mid-West member (not a friend) was standing next to me.  A Wards Master No. 7 plane came up in near mint condition and I bid on it and got it for $12.00.  The quote from the other member was "You will buy anything".  Well, that is probably true if the price is right, if I don't have it in my collection.  Another example is a Sears Companion No. 4 plane that I bought at a garage sale a couple of weeks ago for $3.00.  I didn't have one so I bought it and cleaned it up.  I sharpened the iron and used it last week, seems just as good as a Stanley No.4.  Here are a couple of pictures of the two planes I discussed.  Note---I'm not looking down on Stanley collectors, I have a lot of Stanley planes including a No.1 and a No.2.

HAVE A GREAT 4th!!!!!

Online Jim C.

« Reply #739 on: July 04, 2018, 01:46:21 PM »
Hi Lou,

That’s a nice looking Liberty Bell smoother, not to mention a real old timer.  It’s my understanding that Stanley started making those in 1876 to commemorate the one hundredth anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Independence.  At least that’s what I’ve always heard.  I have a feeling you probably knew that, and choose to post a picture of your plane today, for that very reason!  Well played.  I think Stanley stopped manufacturing Liberty Bell planes in 1918.  So, your plane is at least one hundred years old!  There’s a Liberty Bell type study on the web somewhere that would probably help us better approximate the age of your plane.  I’ll keep an eye out for it.  Thanks posting a photo.  If you’d like to post a few more, that would be great!

Jim C.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 07:29:31 PM by Jim C. »

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #740 on: July 04, 2018, 01:49:14 PM »
Hello, Coolford. Those are very nice looking tools!!! Thanks for posting, Lou

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #741 on: July 04, 2018, 01:52:14 PM »
Hello, Jim. Thanks!! I thought the Liberty Bell would be a good fit for today. I may have another one around here, I will need to do some digging. While I have this one out, I will try to do the Type study. Regards, Lou

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
« Reply #742 on: July 04, 2018, 02:02:17 PM »
Talking about type studies, I bought some planes at a garage sale last weekend and this small block plane was in the group.  Looked like a Stanley 16 1/2 but the picture showed a number on the side.  Today had a little time and decided to try and figure out just what it might be.  Best I can do is a 16 1/2 type 16 which checks out for the pat. dates and the iron.  I have it apart and will now attempt to clean it up.

Online Jim C.

« Reply #743 on: July 04, 2018, 02:11:44 PM »
I was at a farm auction and a fellow Mid-West member (not a friend) was standing next to me.  A Wards Master No. 7 plane came up in near mint condition and I bid on it and got it for $12.00.  The quote from the other member was "You will buy anything".  Well, that is probably true if the price is right, if I don't have it in my collection.  Another example is a Sears Companion No. 4 plane that I bought at a garage sale a couple of weeks ago for $3.00.  I didn't have one so I bought it and cleaned it up.  I sharpened the iron and used it last week, seems just as good as a Stanley No.4.  Here are a couple of pictures of the two planes I discussed.  Note---I'm not looking down on Stanley collectors, I have a lot of Stanley planes including a No.1 and a No.2.

HAVE A GREAT 4th!!!!!

Hi coolford,

Those are two nice bench planes that were sold by huge retail store competitors, Sears and Montgomery Wards.  The funny thing is that while both planes were offered by different retailers, I’d guess that both planes were very likely manufactured by Stanley.  No need to qualify your comments to Stanley collectors.  I think you may have two Stanleys in disguise and the price for each was right!

Jim C.

Online Jim C.

« Reply #744 on: July 07, 2018, 10:23:18 PM »
Every once in a while, a plane has come into my possession with a back-story.  If you peruse back through the thread, you’ll read about a few planes I came across that were more than just tools I bought somewhere along the line.  If there’s some background behind the plane, I try to relate that to the readers.  I really enjoy knowing the history of a plane, when it was manufactured, who owned it, etc.  That’s not always possible.  For many of the planes in my collection, I don’t have those answers and never will.  Although I don’t have those answers, many of those planes that were initially obtained as user tools or additions to my collection and became just as special to me because of the history I created using them, or the lessons I learned because of them.

Prior to featuring this next plane, I tried to organize my thoughts in terms of how I’d present the plane, yet still cover all the points I wanted to make.  You see, this plane, and its later successor, hit on several topics and points I’ve tried to make throughout the thread.  Based on my track record, many of you are probably thinking, “Oh boy, this is gonna be a long one.”  Well, if I tried to write it all in one post, it would be a long one!  I’ll spare you having to suffer through my ramblings all at once.  Because this particular plane does have a story or two attached to it as well as a couple of lessons learned, I think it makes sense to present the content in two or three posts.  I’ll try to keep it interesting.

Way back in the thread, I wrote a little about my first serious encounter using hand planes.  You might recall it had to do with making an island/table in my kitchen.  (See page 9, reply 121.)  Do you remember that?  Anyway, not too long after my relatively successful purchase and use of two expensive Lie-Nielsen hand planes, and a resulting over inflated confidence in my hand plane skills and knowledge, I decided to venture into the world of vintage hand planes, mostly because I thought they’d be less expensive than their L-N counterparts.  I had been doing some research and actually bought a couple old block planes at garage sales for only a few dollars each.  One I recall was a Stanley #15 in its original box.  I sharpened the iron and was on my way.  I had just purchased a pretty good Stanley #4 ½ smoother too, that I had barely figured out and was already thinking it’s time to move on to something a little more exotic.  How hard could it be to buy old hand planes online?  Seemed easy enough.  So I started searching for old planes on the Internet.  Not long after arriving in the cyber world of vintage tools, I came across a well-known antique tool dealer who held, and still holds auctions on a regular basis.  His auctions described practically every hand plane as being in “fine” condition and still retaining “95%” or more of its original japanning, etc.  Part of every listing included an anticipated sales price range and text that said something like “Complete and in good working order.” accompanied by a small photo.  That’s what I had to go on, and without doing a lick of homework in any way, I jumped in with both feet.  I opened an auction account and after looking at the planes up for auction, for reasons I honestly cannot remember, decided I needed a Stanley #289 rabbet plane.  I hardly knew what a rabbet plane did, as I was still making rabbet joints on a router table, or with a stacked dado blade on my table saw.  One might think I’d go after something a little less expensive like a common Stanley #78 for instance.  No, I needed the #289.  The auction house seemed reputable (TO BE ABSOLUTELY CLEAR, IT WAS AND STILL IS.), so I put in a healthy absentee bid based entirely on the listed anticipated sales price.  I wanted to win the auction.  Did I mention I put in a healthy bid?  Not understanding that my over aggressive bid had set the starting mark for that particular plane, and because I had grossly overbid right out of the gate, no one on the auction floor bid, and I had evidently outbid all other absentee bids.  About a week later, I got an email saying I had won the auction.  I probably should have read up a little more on “buyer’s premiums” and “shipping costs” too.  Needless to say, I ended up with a “fine” user quality plane that was “complete and in good working order.”  More than twenty five years later, I still remember to the penny what I paid for that plane!  I should say, what I OVER paid for that plane.  That was the first serious case I suffered of “hand plane buyer’s remorse” and I still had no clue how to use a rabbet plane.  Well that plane sat in my shop for about five years.  I tinkered with it now and then, but I never really used it. . . .

My grandma on my mom’s side was a gem in every way.  She was the definition of what every grandma should be.  She was an amazing quilter, a respectable china painter, and a collector of small jewelry boxes.  None of the boxes were valuable, but more like sentimental keepsakes she had received over the years from grandchildren or purchased during weekend trips to where ever.  Anyway, after a holiday dinner a few years before she passed, she was directing me where to put a folding table in the back of a bedroom closet.  On the dresser in the room was her collection of jewelry boxes.  Out of the blue, she asked me if I could make a shadow box or small cabinet to display them.  I said I’d give it a try.  Her only request was that I construct the cabinet from wood that was still in my grandpa’s shop in the basement.  He was very frugal and his projects were more often than not constructed from old pallets he accumulated.  I went into the basement and found a little poplar, walnut and cedar.  Okay, I had the wood, and I made a promise to my grandma.

Before I left, I made templates of the jewelry box bottoms, and took a few height measurements from each.  A day or so after I got back home, I came up with a small cabinet design that included sliding dovetails, a few drawers with raised panel bottoms and a carcass that featured a raised panel back set in grooves.  Prior to cutting even a single piece of wood, I had decided I was going to use my little hand plane collection as much as possible. . . including my #289.  I spent the next several days practicing cutting rabbet joints with and across the grain using the #289.  Without getting into the details of the Stanley #289 (which will be featured in part 2 of the #289 post sequence), I eventually built up enough confidence and practical skill to cut the rabbets on the panels of the drawer bottoms and the cabinet back using that plane.  The cabinet took me a couple weeks to make and I ultimately gave it to her shortly thereafter.  She displayed those jewelry boxes in the cabinet until she passed.  After she was gone, the collection of jewelry boxes was dispersed to grand daughters and the cabinet came back to me.  In the next post, I’ll tell you a little more about the #289.

Jim C.                           
« Last Edit: May 30, 2022, 05:09:48 PM by Jim C. »

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #745 on: July 08, 2018, 06:24:12 AM »
Hello, Jim. Nicely done!!! I love the fact that you used the re-claimed wood, and the hand planes. Great back story, too!! Regards, Lou

Online Jim C.

« Reply #746 on: July 08, 2018, 08:22:31 AM »
Hi Lou,

Thanks for stopping by and making it through the post.  Sorry for the length.  Also thanks for the compliments!  Much appreciated.  I’ll admit that once I had that back panel blank cut to size, I was a little nervous about trying to cut those rabbets by hand.  I had been practicing on scrap, and struggled a little cutting across the grain.  Getting the plane’s left side spur set just right and keeping it sharp was the trick I needed to learn.  Cutting with the grain took practice too.  With the spur retracted, the key is to keep the fence tight against the edge of the board.  It’s easy to get off track if the grain of the wood pulls the cutting iron and fence in a direction that strays away from the board’s edge.  As you might guess, a super sharp cutting iron is a must!  I didn’t have any extra pallet wood for a second try.  As you can see, I had to piece together some very different colored poplar to make the back panel.  Over the years, with the exception of that one stripe on the back, the cabinet has taken on a pretty consistent amber color.  The carcass, back panel and drawer fronts are poplar.  The compartment partitions, shelves and drawer pulls are walnut. The drawer sides, backs and bottom panels are cedar. I fitted the drawers almost exclusively using my Stanley #15 block plane.

The cabinet was a nice project that helped me improve my woodworking and hand planing skills.  Acquiring the #289 was a hard lesson into the world of absentee bidding, but more importantly, a lesson in doing my homework as it relates to truly determining a plane’s condition and value.

Jim C.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 08:49:07 AM by Jim C. »

Offline gibsontool

• Contributor
« Reply #747 on: July 08, 2018, 10:20:27 AM »
Nice work Jim. I allways enjoy reading your posts.

Online Jim C.

« Reply #748 on: July 08, 2018, 02:19:14 PM »
Hey gibson,

Thanks for reading along.  I know that at least a few people are following the thread.  Regardless, I’m always wondering what readers like, don’t like, want to see more of, want to see less of, etc.  I know a lot of the posts are long.  Trying to keep them on topic and hopefullly interesting is challenging sometimes.  When I decided to feature the #289 depicted above, I got to thinking about how much I could say about it in terms of how I acquired it, mistakes I made, what I used it for, its features, chasing parts, and the acquisition of a second example.  I couldn’t cover it all in one post, or even two.  That’s when I start wondering, “When have the readers had enough of this plane?”  There’s a time factor on my end too.  A typical post featuring one plane, including photos, editing, etc., start to finish, usually takes me about two and one half to three hours to complete.  If I cover everything I want to cover as it pertains to the #289, I’ll have about eight or nine hours invested in the process.  I will admit that I have intentionally avoided doing features on some planes specifically because I know the investment in time will be great.  Some of that is my own fault.  I want every post to be just right and that sometimes bogs me down.  Anyway, thanks for checking in and staying with the thread.  Feel free to add some content too.  I always like to see what others have in their collections!  Stay tuned.  There’s more on the Stanley #289 to follow.

Jim C. 
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 02:27:28 PM by Jim C. »

Offline p_toad

« Reply #749 on: July 08, 2018, 02:30:38 PM »
Jim,

Thank you for a great write-up.   I suspect it takes a lot of time and effort and now that i'm out here more often i try to read all of your updates.   I would have to believe that you're not the only one here who has overpaid for something in our heat of "have to have it".  :embarrassed:   Please continue!   :smiley:

Peter