Author Topic: Vise repair, welding  (Read 5893 times)

Offline Nolatoolguy

Re: Vise repair, welding
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2015, 09:25:19 AM »
Well despite the offer of new thread I went ahead and tried anyway. It actually worked. I figured if it didn't work or a messed it up I would take Aaron up on his offer if he had the correct size.

I was worried about distoration, so didn't do it all at once. I also pre heated an wrapped in a welding blanket after to help slow down cooling time. Not sure if it was 100% necisary. After building it up I roughed it out with a die grinder, but took to much off. I had to go back in an do another pass. Then work with a file got it shaped pretty well. I had to test fit it a few times. Eventually it fit well.

I probably could of bought thread cheaper then the time it took. The rods weren't cheap either but I already had them. I however for some reason sometimes fix stuff I don't really need . It was just a intresting little project thoe.
And I'm proud to be an American,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood

Offline Aunt Phil

Re: Vise repair, welding
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2015, 12:18:02 PM »
It's called learning your trade Nola.
Not a whole lot different from a crane oiler spending his lunch time running an empty hook back and forth to fine tune what skill he already has.  Management School critters with them useless MBA Degrees write Memos to the office about wasted fuel, and make points in their file of why the company needs to shed them.  Smarter management looks at it as the small cost of building better mechanics.  Incentive is noticed if you're working in a shop that's worth working at.

You demonstrated a hell of a lot more than you realize, but the lack of realization is a function of your age.  Hang in there.
Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance!