Author Topic: Old Electric Drills  (Read 2929 times)

Offline Mel Larsen

Old Electric Drills
« on: August 11, 2012, 06:43:50 PM »
I had almost forgot that I had these old drills until I needed a high speed drill to buff out an old Wok for the neighbor lady this morning,   The Big old Zepher 1/2 AC/DC drill was one that my dad bought back in 1948 or 9 and is a work horse.  450 RPM and enough power to tie you up if the bit catches, I know! 
The Milwaukee Hole Shooter is a good little drill I have forgotten where I picked it up at.
The other No Name drill is the fast one I used this morning it runs 3500 RPM.  My father in law who was a painter back in the 40's and 50s used it to mix paint.
Mel

I would rather have tools I never use, than to need a tool I don't have.

Offline john k

• Contributor
Re: Old Electric Drills
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 11:12:54 AM »
If the one drill is a hole-shooter, then that 3,500rpm drill needs to be called the bit burner.   That many turns would light up most cheap drill bits.  On that big zephyr, they do turn one around, pretty quick.   They need to be used, don't do any good to lay in the drawer, glad they could do some work. 
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Mel Larsen

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 01:15:17 PM »
I have a funny story about the old Zephyr,  back in the late fifties my dad was trying to modify a plow shear to fit a plow it wasn't built for.  The modification required a hole to be drilled. After several attempts with little luck, we stuck a length of pipe through the D handle and with my dad on one end, gramps on the other and me running the trigger, we proceeded to rub a hole through the plow shear.  Well, some where along the operation the poor old drill bit stuck and Dad went to one corner of the shop, Gramps went to another corner and I got knocked to the floor.  As I remember we never got to use that shear.
Mel
I would rather have tools I never use, than to need a tool I don't have.

Offline EVILDR235

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 08:25:55 AM »
I was using a large 1/2 drill to enlarge the head bolt holes in a Ford 223 six cylinder engine, Early 223s used one size head bolt and later ones used larger head bolts. I wanted to use a early head on a later motor. I was drilling the last few holes when a bit stuck and the drill tied me up some what. The only thing that kept me from getting hurt was the short cord that unpluged and killed the drill. Now the bad part. Early 223s had the water temp sending unit in the block and late motors the temp sending unit was in the cyl head. I now had no place to mount the sending unit. I wound up putting a T fitting in one of the radiator hoses. Problem solved.

EvilDr235