Author Topic: Specialty Tool Carrier -Rolling Stool  (Read 1645 times)

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
Specialty Tool Carrier -Rolling Stool
« on: June 30, 2014, 09:12:01 AM »

While reading Bonneyman's Blue Bird Battery Tools thread Amecks mentioned keeping a set of battery tools handy.  This reminded me of a project I have been thinking about for a couple of months. I had seen this rolling shop seat / tool holder a while back.  This is from a VW service catalog. 

I keep my brake tools (4" c-clamp, brake pliers, drum adjuster, spring tool, allen wrench set, etc.) together in a bucket. I sit on other 5 gallon buckets while doing low level work. I think a stool like this could be handy for specialty tools like the brake tools, battery tools, etc.

What is your opinion on something like this? Are there any modifications you would make to the storage-roll-around-stool? Worthwhile or a waste of time?

Chilly

Offline Lostmind

• Wellington, Ohio 44090
Re: Specialty Tool Carrier -Rolling Stool
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 09:37:09 AM »
I think it's a great idea. I've done hundreds of brake jobs " on the floor".
Always hate having to get up and move things around to find a tool that fell of the creeper seat.
Nice thing about building your own is you can custom design it to your tools.
Of all the things I've lost , I miss my mind the most

Offline amecks

Re: Specialty Tool Carrier -Rolling Stool
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 10:31:09 AM »
Good stable design for the wheeled stool.  The top is able to be locked onto the bottom, which is clever but for most of us - probably an inconvenience.  I wouldn't want to get up and open the box to get a tool.  How about if the sides were open and had the same slots and cubbyholes for tools?
Is it worthwhile?  Absolutely.  I use a wheeled stool all the time on the cars and motorcycles. Very handy to zip around to "the other side" and have all the tools at hand.

The round wheeled stools that are currently available in stores - I have one at home and one at work.  The home version is from Tractor Supply I think - very stable even when rolling across floor, seat height adjustable, comfortable, lots of room on the square tray below.  The one at work is a Craftsman, not as stable, does not roll as easily, bottom tray round and smaller, sides are not as deep, and it's adjustable but it is so low I had add a 4" spacer to bring the seat height to usable level.  Oh and the seat is a lot smaller and a lot less padded.
So, some things to consider in your design.  Use sturdy casters.
Al
Al
Jordan, NY