Author Topic: Memphis NY Barn Sale  (Read 543 times)

Offline amecks

Memphis NY Barn Sale
« on: May 15, 2021, 04:43:21 PM »
Picked up a few neat things Friday morning.  Red handle Rothenberger pliers, Pliers with mark J7 on one side J9 on other - the squared off handle ends looks cast in but why? Irwin 400-C-6 screwdriver in nice shape, Pexto 6" adjustable, very nice S-K 1/4 breaker bar, another one of those ratchet drivers but this one has a 1/4 hex opening only - I might drill and tap a set screw to hold bits in place and use with a 1/4 drive socket holder bit, and last, a sad and worth little to nothing Spark Plug- Gen.Nut/Cylinder Stud-Battery Terminal wrench 90257.  Who made these?
Al
Jordan, NY

Offline mvwcnews

Re: Memphis NY Barn Sale
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2021, 08:54:47 AM »
The spark plug / Gen .. is for a DELCO light plant.  I ran across an article where the man responsible for the DELCO systems for farmsteads, etc. explained that the customers would mess things up, so the wrenches were clearly marked to try to encourage end users to employ the correct wrench for the job at hand.  Sadly, I lost the link to that article during a "lockup" of my underpowered / overworked laptop.  A copy of that article with a set of those wrenches would be a nice educational display and reminder that the effort to electrify farmsteads had a long history before government subsidy / public power was established, and put DELCO & similar systems out of the running for the most part.   We had a neighbor who did not have the money to extend the power line that last  half mile, and only had a WINCHARGER & small 32 volt DC system with batteries that they used to run a radio and a couple of dim light bulbs.  They also had no running water, etc -- a very 1930s existence well into the mid-1960s when their son got enough money to fix his parents place up a bit.