Author Topic: Who's correct?  (Read 8722 times)

Offline Carl Wagner

Re: Who's correct?
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2013, 10:23:00 PM »
I msg him as well. Told him good luck but he was full of it. Looks like he Will be full of it with a couple Ben's in his paypal tho.
Life is hard. Its harder if your stupid.- John Wayne

Offline rustcollector

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2013, 06:35:37 PM »

Offline CRTDI

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2013, 07:32:52 PM »
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=281158810579

Wonder how this will go over.

Maybe he'll get the message, or maybe not.

You seem to be pretty serious about old wrenches. I don't know much about them, but noticed your auction lots of farm wrenches.

One thing I observed is that they all have a similar shiny look to the finish. Are you using a type of preservative or perhaps just an oil coating?

Offline rustcollector

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2013, 07:45:03 PM »
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=281158810579

Wonder how this will go over.

You seem to be pretty serious about old wrenches. I don't know much about them, but noticed your auction lots of farm wrenches.

One thing I observed is that they all have a similar shiny look to the finish. Are you using a type of preservative or perhaps just an oil coating?

The groups I have listed are all from the same place. The owner had cleaned them. I would not and will not clean wrenches unless they are to the point where they will disappear if I don't. I like the old look so much more, and every speck of dirt, or ding in the wrench is part of that wrench's history. Once you take it off of it, it, and the history it represents are gone forever. I had to buy the group these came from though, they were just way to many extremely rare one not to do so.

Offline rusty

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2013, 07:48:05 PM »
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline rustcollector

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2013, 07:50:08 PM »
Stupid listing won't come up in any searches I've tried so far though. Usually doesn't take this long to come up.

Offline CRTDI

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2013, 08:03:06 PM »

The groups I have listed are all from the same place. The owner had cleaned them. I would not and will not clean wrenches unless they are to the point where they will disappear if I don't. I like the old look so much more, and every speck of dirt, or ding in the wrench is part of that wrench's history. Once you take it off of it, it, and the history it represents are gone forever. I had to buy the group these came from though, they were just way to many extremely rare one not to do so.
[/quote]

I have seen some wrenches or metal objects in museums before and they all have the same look like a preservative or coating was applied to stabilize the object from further deterioration. Was just wondering if maybe this or some other process is being used for everyday collectors of old wrenches.

Sounds like you might be in the "remove the dust and leave the rust" club.

I like 30's and 40's vintage Blackhawk socket sets, but these are usually chrome or cadmium plated, so I just lightly remove surface rust and protect with a light oil coat.

Offline rustcollector

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2013, 08:10:12 PM »

I have seen some wrenches or metal objects in museums before and they all have the same look like a preservative or coating was applied to stabilize the object from further deterioration. Was just wondering if maybe this or some other process is being used for everyday collectors of old wrenches.

Sounds like you might be in the "remove the dust and leave the rust" club.

I like 30's and 40's vintage Blackhawk socket sets, but these are usually chrome or cadmium plated, so I just lightly remove surface rust and protect with a light oil coat.

Yep, you have to do what is right for you. A lot will clean them all up, paint them and highlight the lettering. Fine for them, ugly to me. But it is their collection so they need to have it look the way they like it. I don't really see any right or wrong in any method, just the collectors own preference. No method really seems to affect the over all value, because there seems to be enough in all realms to keep the value there.

I wouldn't even know where to start with chrome stuff, not my area of interest. But thinking about it, I'd rather see the chrome stuff cleaned to a decent finish I guess.

Offline Carl Wagner

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2013, 10:05:45 PM »
I wipe off the worst if the dirt. After that ill heat them on the srove and spray with WD40. I wipe THEM off and highlight the lettering. This is the finished product.
Life is hard. Its harder if your stupid.- John Wayne

Offline rustcollector

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2013, 04:49:47 PM »
Well, response has been better than I expected. 14 ebay messages, and every single one was so glad that I listed something to counter-act the original listing. 99 views at this point, and it's been less than 24 hours since I listed it. And yet, after all that being said, the idiot original seller still has his up, and looks like he is willing to STEAL over $300 from somebody.

It probably should not bother me this much, since the potential buyers are as stupid as the seller in not knowing exactly what they are buying.
But I look at it this way.....
If this buyer (or any in this same situation) gets taken advantage of, and finds out down the road that he was scammed, he is less likely to continue collecting and buying wrenches in the future. This hurts everybody that collects because the value of our wrenches will drop, and even though most of us are not going to sell, our kids or spouses will be selling our collections at some point, and that takes money out of their pockets.

Offline rustcollector

« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2013, 04:57:42 PM »
Update....

I actually physically called ebay to report it. We'll see what happens from there, but in the broken english they all speak, it seems like they see the problem now and WANT to look into it finally. Absolutely ridiculous that it needed to go that far, the seller should have more morals than that.

I feel like a hound dog on the trail of a rabbit, can't give up until the rabbit is dinner.

Offline amertrac

• Contributor
  • ny mountain man
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2013, 07:51:02 AM »
How can you doubt this gentleman, who has 100% rating also he said that an expert told him it was authentic..        bob w.
TO SOON ULD UND TO LATE SCHMART

Offline rustcollector

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2013, 08:37:27 AM »
“An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.”
Niels Bohr