Author Topic: Big Bending Tool  (Read 3133 times)

Online amecks

Big Bending Tool
« on: October 19, 2013, 08:00:10 PM »
I thought these would come in handy but they just sit on a ledge in the garage. Didn't check for marks. They're pretty big.
Al.

Al
Jordan, NY

Offline rusty

Re: Big Bending Tool
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 08:08:33 PM »
Poor mans brake?
Never seen them that large...
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline Aunt Phil

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 09:46:52 PM »
Pretty sure that's an old copper roofing seamer.  It either closes a standing seam on copper or holds 2 ribs together while a second man solders the joint.

Problem is most of the men who knew how to use those tools are underground now.
Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance!

Offline wvtools

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 09:54:09 PM »
There are still quite a few roofers in VA doing standing seam work (some copper, but mostly tin).  I sell every one of those I can find.  I just sold 4 of them to a guy in VA in August.

Offline oldgoaly

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 10:05:45 PM »
Aunt Phil don't say that I may trip and fall into the septic system!
yes they are flange pliers, for roofing, tin or copper  standing seam, I had some ones with foot pedals on themthat gripped then the handle did the final foldover and crimp. Sold them many years ago, do still have a couple of them in that style. sorry could not find a pic of them.
A bunch of pics (5000+) of tools and projects in our shoppe
https://www.facebook.com/187845251266156/photos/?tab=albums

Offline Aunt Phil

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 01:06:30 AM »
Might be best if you erect safety fence around the septic tank OG.

All those "useless fing hunks of s#!t" went to China from 2 Union roofing houses in Rochester a few months back.  I heard about it from a 50 year old Union architectural SHEET METAL MAN a couple weeks after the dumpster left.  He has 30 years in the trade and had no idea what those tools were for.  They don't have a man in the Local who knows the tools of 1950, ergo, that kind of work never happened.

I also learned "You can't solder stainless" which was a hell of a shock to me.  I know of 2 stainless range hoods made in the 50s still in service, but the Local says it can't be done.

There are 3 mechanics in Rochester who can still work slate. 

What the hell is the prize for the generation that looses the most knowledge?

Offline oldgoaly

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 12:47:51 PM »
oh you have hit one of my pet peeves!
well so much of a trade does not translate well to computer, AND then add in your internet idiots!
I'll try to make it short, but the was a debate on "flats" and "true radius"  anvils on a English Wheeling machine. Well some so called experts the flats do all the work, the flats are everything you can't shape metal with out them. I don't think so! you can't defy the laws of physics..... but that don't matter I'm a expert!  Oh B******T!!!  so needless to say more Ewheels with true radii than flats, flats damper the wheeling effects, not enhance. Best part about it was very few had used both, even fewer had two sets like made.  But yet a guy selling ladies shoes on ebay knows better! he should not be confused with Al Bundy who once scored 4 touchdowns in one game!   

Offline Aunt Phil

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 10:19:39 PM »
Don't tell anybody, I'll deferr to your judgement on E wheels.  My sole involvement left me attempting to glue the owner's necktie to the lower wheel and find the switch that turned the overgrown c clamp on.

We live in a time when too many are convinced their DEGREE represents on board knowledge.  You ever watched 3 "Electrical Engineers" climb over 3 foot diameter variacs looking for the SCRs that dimmed the lighting?  They were too smart to understand a variable transformer, after all, it ain't solid state.  Damn thing didn't look liquid to me!

The great joy in my life comes from being shunted to life's sideline where I no longer must interface with credentialed fools.

Offline rusty

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2013, 07:56:05 AM »
>3 foot diameter variacs looking for the SCRs

And they will want to replace the variacs to modernize it all, and you will never be able to explain that they are 100X more reliable than the SCR's....

Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline johnsironsanctuary

• Contributor
  • Super Contributor and Geezer in training
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2013, 09:20:35 AM »
I remember a quote that I got second hand from the head of a construction company that works nationally, but hires labor locally. His foreman's explanation for the job site delays was "You can't teach nothin to people that don't know nothin".
Top monkey of the monkey wrench clan

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2013, 11:55:32 AM »
Standing seam is making a big comeback in So Oregon. I was blown away last time I was in Medford. Hadn't seen in any decades and suddenly its popping up all over! All tin of course. Prepainted tin.
 But I was surprised to see it at all.

Speaking of hand seaming, look what I found yesterday. Notice the single lever first off? :)
     yours Scott
 Patent Applied For is just a magic phrase, to me.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 12:01:55 PM by scottg »

Offline Billman49

• Collector of edged tools, especially billhooks...
    • A Load of Old Billhooks
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2013, 05:57:08 AM »
Known as Mole Grips in the UK (after a well known maker - originally stamped ELMO) this type was sold for tinman's sheet metal workers use.....

The first locking pliers, named Vise-Grips, were invented by William Petersen in De Witt, Nebraska in 1924. Mole grips were developed by Thomas Coughtrie in 1955, then managing director of M. K. Mole and Son.
source: Wikipedia

I believe the MOLE trademark is now owned by Irwin, who also have the Vice Grip trademark, as the name Mole is less used and Vice Grip is now becoming common in the UK....

Several variations used as welding grips have been made:

« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 06:09:49 AM by Billman49 »

Offline Billman49

• Collector of edged tools, especially billhooks...
    • A Load of Old Billhooks
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2013, 06:05:34 AM »
FYI standing seam roofing is still very common in mainland Europe, less so in the UK - zinc, copper and aluminium are the main metals used....

Offline oldgoaly

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 08:43:24 AM »
metal roofs are common on farm buildings, painted steel is the most common now,
 I have aluminum on 4 out buildings built in the 40-50's, the aluminum nails have failed a lot! 3-4K in replacement screws. They are so slippery with moisture!!! 
a pic of mine with out the stops, the other one has stops at the 1" mark, no idea where it is hiding, found this while looking for my piano hinge... no idea where that is hiding?
pic of the workshop a old chicken house a 100 by 50 w/ a aluminum roof, all foundry and blacksmith stuff is in another building.