Author Topic: Found this....  (Read 2821 times)

Offline AlphaLobo

Found this....
« on: March 20, 2012, 12:14:40 AM »
I was wondering if anyone could tell me what this is. It seems like some kind of clamp but I'm not sure how it would be used. I can't find any manufacturing number on it and the only identifying marks on it are, No. 1 and 1 1/2, that are stamped into it. From what I can tell it's made out of cast iron and has a wooden handle on it. Thank you for your help.

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
Re: Found this....
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 05:18:22 AM »
How long is the wooden handle?  From the picture it looks like the handle to a cross cut saw to me.
"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717

Offline Branson

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 07:05:05 AM »
We need a better picture.  It's very hard to make out this clamp.

Offline AlphaLobo

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 10:02:07 AM »
Sorry, I hope this picture helps. The wooden part of the handle is about 4.5 inches long.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 10:17:21 AM by AlphaLobo »

Offline gibsontool

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 10:33:40 AM »
Still may not be enough pics to tell but it looks to me like it is two pieces that clamp individually onto a piece of 2x4 or whatever and the piece on the left is the base of the clamp and the right hand piece is the top portion you would position the two pieces onto an appropriate length piece of 2x4 and tighten them separately with the side clamps them tighten the screw on the top piece to clamp whatever your working on tight together.  Most likely a woodworking clamp,That my guess,Jim

Offline AlphaLobo

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 10:52:50 AM »
We were thinking that maybe it's used to spread something apart? The piece with the crank on it has to be at the end of the board though otherwise it won't turn. It only fits on a 2" board, so it could only be used on a 2x4 or 2x6 or anything simmilar. The farthest the crank will go out is about 3.5" before the crank runs into the base. We're not sure where or when it's from but we are pretty sure it belonged to my great-grandfather. We only just found it in my grandfather's possesions.

Offline jimwrench

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 11:45:42 AM »
 Looks like a furniture clamp to me. Clamp handled piece to 2x4;adjust non-handled end to position to span work piece;use handled end to apply pressure.
Jim
Mr. Dollarwrench

Offline AlphaLobo

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 12:29:10 PM »
Here is another view that might help too.

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 03:49:17 PM »
Its definitely a cabinet/furniture clamp.  Lots of loose clamp fixture sets were sold and probably still are.
 The fact that it clamps on, instead of the standard pins, its really unusual.
  yours Scott
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 04:03:12 PM by Papaw »

Offline wvtools

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 06:58:37 PM »
I edited my whole post because I was wrong (if anyone read it in the last 30 seconds).  I thought it was a flooring clamp, although the one piece could be used as one.  It is listed on page 47 of the 1924 E.C. Stearns catalog as a Universal Clamp.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 07:02:17 PM by wvtools »

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 09:48:14 PM »
Old version of a pipe clamp.

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 02:52:02 PM »
I've got one of those too.  I figure it's either a furniture/bar clamp or a clamp/vise for use in the field/on the jobsite (that is, a carpenter's clamp).  Great heavy creature, with some nice ridging on the clamps that fasten to the 2xwhatever and would mark the heck out of it but hold well.