Author Topic: Im all "Tapped" out  (Read 2394 times)

Offline SuperiorInterior

Im all "Tapped" out
« on: January 30, 2015, 03:43:06 PM »
Hello .... I'm sure someone here has the knowledge I'm seeking so I can further make some decisions. I bought a large assortment of tools and within those tools were roughly about 200 taps . . I have no need for these items so I'm looking to get a better understanding on them and there true value . . Any info would be great . .

Offline Bill Houghton

Re: Im all "Tapped" out
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 05:32:01 PM »
If they're standard National Coarse or National Fine taps in anything up to about an inch, they're probably worth $1 each.  If they're oddball size/pitch combinations - don't know, eBay "sold" listings would be your best information source.

Here's one chart showing the common coarse and fine thread pitches: http://www.rfcafe.com/references/general/tap-drill-sae.htm.  There are others online.  There are also pipe taps, which cut tapered threads.  These will usually say "NPT" somewhere on the shank of the tap.  They're also not worth much.

But I could be wrong. eBay is your friend in assessing value.

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 05:50:54 PM »
Kinda also depends on how they were stored.
Clean and dry, or possibly kept lubed to prevent rust, and kept apart so they didn't bang against each other. That ruins the cutting edges, just like it does to files.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline Ken W.

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 06:46:26 PM »
I usually see taps selling for a dollar or less. If they are in good condition selling them in one bulk sum on Craigs List may be your best bet.

Offline EVILDR235

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 07:51:46 PM »
Any imported ones i would toss in the trash can. Nothing worse than tapping a hole and breaking a tap off in it. Any taps with damaged teeth go in the trash also. Minor rust might still be ok. Heavy rust, bye,bye.

EvilDr235

Offline turnnut

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 08:51:43 PM »
by the sounds of your original brand listings, you may have some older taps.

I am sure that others have old tap sets missing 1 or 2 taps, like Butterfield, Greenfield
and a few other older companies.

Offline wvtools

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 10:24:25 PM »
I sell a lot of taps, but it comes and goes like most items.  Regular taps usually go for a buck or two; small ones 0.50.  I can usually get 3 to 5 for pipe taps, unless they are big (inch and up), then I can get about 10.

I will caveat the above by saying that I sell most of my taps at tractor shows and car shows, where people who really need and use taps buy.

Offline EVILDR235

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 01:51:32 PM »
Why not put them in groups and sell them here ? Maybe a set of 20 misc. fine thread taps, 20 misc. course thread taps and a mixture of both fine and course ?

EvilDr235
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 03:39:42 PM by EVILDR235 »