Author Topic: The Oily Shop Project  (Read 94591 times)

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
Re: The Oily Shop Project
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2012, 07:36:16 PM »
....you will probably be among the largest tool collectors on Tooltalk. I'd love to see pics of the winch trucks. Oil patch trucks are really cool!

I don't need that pressure :)   I'm honestly overwhelmed with it all.  I'll make it a point to walk the property one day and get pics all around - some really interesting stuff there.  It think the farmall cub I saw today may be older than my super a.  I know the "johnny popper" I saw is.  I can wait for this to all be done so I can get my dad and uncle together and drag one of those tractors into the shop and have some man time with it.

I'm impressed...and wishing I was closer so I could "help"

HEY - If you can travel down here to play, you can travel down here to work.  If you knew me real well you wouldn't offer to "help" because you'd know it'll be a marathon and I'd never let go of any of my "paw paw's" tools.  But hey - I'd let you pet on them :)
"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2012, 08:13:19 PM »
Today's Update:

I started the day with a couple of focus areas.  I was able to get all the lights going, and I had an electric motor delivered and I installed it on the air compressor.  I now have electricity, air, and water.

I made more good progress on sorting through things in general.  I bounced around a good bit when I first got started because I was struggling with where to displace things (yes, even with a moving box van outside).  I finally settled with focusing on the "bolt bins", which was actually a 4' x 8' workspace at an angle with box built on top - giving it a lip around the outside and several compartments.  If you look at the photo album link I've attached, you'll see a picture with a number of 5 gallon buckets full of nuts and bolts.  Those come from that area.

My "treasure" found today is a Schrade Old-Timer Honesteel knife hone.  It was my grandfather's on my mother's side of the family.  He worked for my grandfather on my father's side, and apparently had left it in the shop somewhere in the early 70 or before.  He passed when I was 3 years of age.  It is in a nice leather holster and, however it may be the case, in nearly perfect condition.

Because of the volume of pictures I took today I've uploaded them into an album http://photobucket.com/theoilyshop
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 08:42:28 PM by OilyRascal »

Offline Nolatoolguy

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2012, 09:46:51 PM »
Looking very good for a sart. Ime just amazed at his shop. Very nice, could only imigane it back in the day with him working in it.

Thats a pretty nice press ya got not to meantion a few vises I saw. Any plans to redo them? Not to meantion all the tools expecially the larger ratchets an pipe wrenches. Allong with the large snatch block an chains/binders/tongs I saw. I think I could go on and on about it all but it looks like you got yourself one heck of a project. A very nice one to.

Please keep us updated :)

And I'm proud to be an American,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2012, 09:57:33 PM »
Farm tractors, a D-9 Cat, winch trucks, trailers, shop full of tools and equipment, some people here would think they were in heaven, or Iowa!  I know how the brush likes to grow down in that neck of the woods,  so you'll be finding stuff for the next year.  Don't envy you establishing ownership with all the family people involved.  But you got a real good start on the clean up.   
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2012, 10:39:48 PM »
.......meantion a few vises I saw. Any plans to redo them?

Off the top of my head the things I've seen I'd like seen redone and put back as workers into the shop; that huge Rock Island vise on the ground outside (it shames me to see it there on the ground), the "jack of pain" (haven't looked but I suspect this is a very reputable USA made, 2 older bottle jacks (ditto previous statement), what I suspect is a very old screw type house jack (though I'm not sure what you'd do with it), the press (WOW could I use this regularly), tire changer (because I can and I think it'd be cool), a very old belt drive grinder rock (and I suspect I found the original driver that was paired), air compressor (I've already gotten it running)......heck I go on all night.......dreaming.

Offline Fins/413

« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2012, 04:58:51 AM »
What an unbelieveable wealth of tools and stuff. This will be an interesting thread.
1959 Chrysler New Yorker
1982 E150 Ford van

Offline Branson

« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2012, 07:56:36 AM »
Oh.  WINCH trucks.  I was trying to imagine what a WENCH truck might be.

Offline RedVise

• Contributor
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2012, 08:42:27 AM »
  EVERYWHERE you look it is a tool.

OK, that might slow you down a little....    Enjoy !!

Brian L.

Offline johnsironsanctuary

• Contributor
  • Super Contributor and Geezer in training
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2012, 09:45:12 AM »
WOW!! I can see why you are overwhelmed. Just remember the long standing advice on how to eat an elephant. 'One bite at a time'. I can't wait to see photos a few months from now when you are just whelmed.
JIS
Top monkey of the monkey wrench clan

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2012, 04:48:33 PM »
Day 3 - It's Friday!  I started very early this morning; loaded the backhoe up and took it over saying to myself I was finally going to move some things out of my way - some big things.  I realize very quickly once I'm there and unloaded there isn't a snow ball's chance in heck of getting to the doorway for all the crap, much less into the door enough to grab what I needed.

I decided to call Gene, he's owned a NAPA dealer here for all my life.  I told him I had a Ford 3000 tractor what year and that it hadn't run in way to many years to matter exactly how many......and that I needed him to hook me up with all things fluids, filters, fuel, spark, and air.  While I was waiting on parts I took the time to grab the carb, points, and condensor off the cub (see pictures link).  About 45 minutes later I had everything I needed to goto work on the 3000.....so I did.  A couple hours later I have that guy going and went out and grabbed a boom I'd seen laying in the dirt.

Tractor under butt I was able to finally move some things out of my way.  Talk about a man with a smile on his face.....then I got so disgusted trying to get in/out with the tractor (batteries everywhere) that I took the midday and loaded batteries up on the trailer while I had it there.  I loaded 3 pallets of batteries totaling 221 and drove them to the scrap yard - landing a whopping .........well good deal of spending money for the shop later.   

I made some progress inside as you'll see if you look through the album, but not as much as I'd liked given the derailment of moving heavy things.  Good news is, I now have my grandpa's tractor over there I can use versus spending another 45 minutes loading and binding the backhoe or tractor every day....not to mention I try to avoid pulling 17k pounds down the road with my pickup (though it's rated).

I finally got past the bathroom door blockage and found (among some nasty things) this lovely borax soap dispenser mounted by the sink.  A keeper for certain.

My treasure find of the day was a magnetic sign that would have been placed on the side of the company truck.  I actually found two both being new but having a toll taken just by nature of being in the shop.  A very nice find nonetheless, and a good reminder to me that I should not wholesale throw everything out  the door because it has no function.  I started walking around picking up "old things" for display sake; 7UP coke DP bottles, NOS krylon spray, case of nos oil, metal gas and water cans, old spark plugs in new box, and such.  I'd really like to put the shop back to it's day, and have it feel that way when you're working inside. 

A link below to the pictures I was able to take today.  Not a lot of pictures because no joke my camera battery said "exhausted" and shutdown, and I said out loud to myself "ME TOO", and shut down.

Pictures :  http://www.photobucket.com/oilyshopday3

Just remember the long standing advice on how to eat an elephant. 'One bite at a time'.

That's what I keep telling myself, John.....but problem is I'm already same shape as my camera battery: "Exhausted".

Oh.  WINCH trucks.  I was trying to imagine what a WENCH truck might be.

lol - I'm from south arkansas - you're lucky I didn't spell it wanch...you know, like she's being an ole wanch.

What an unbelieveable wealth of tools and stuff.

YES - I hope this group is up to the challenge because I'm going to need a lot of help in the coming times.  I knew the tool stock was that was "in the day", but had no idea it had not already been looted.  The good news of the shop being a complete wreck was that nobody could find the tools to loot them :)

Offline benjy

« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2012, 08:23:04 AM »
it seems to me that you are living all our dreams,,(exhausted or not )  but as i see those old tractors sinkin into the ground an odd thought occurs to me,,totally unrelated,,who or what is keeping the grass and weeds down?
TOOL TALK MEMBER OF THE MONTH April 2012

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2012, 10:33:18 AM »
There are more possibilties sitting around there than I suspected.  The JohnDeere is a 40s model, the seat is newer than the tractor and that threw me.  All the tractors and trucks look pretty good and complete.  Now that its getting organized and people see activity over there, hope you can lock it up securely.   Those big shop doors are hung on tracks or hinges?   See a lot of progress, good going.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline rusty

« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2012, 02:20:19 PM »

So...when do we get advanced tickets to the Oily Truck and Tractor Museum? LOL

Oh, such a project you have started.......
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2012, 05:16:58 PM »
Day 4 - With all the chances I took with expensive tires yesterday I decided today I would spend some time cleaning my way into the bays, from the outside.  There was just about enough room to drive the tractor through lanes of stuff piled to either side, and I kept worrying that at anytime I would get myself a tire water bath.  I've just now realized I didn't have a "before" picture of the front, so just appreciate now it doesn't look like two small lanes you'd barely drive a ford focus down with jagged tools of death poking out everywhere.

Having the front cleared of some crap I was able to get the backhoe to the shop door and get the huge pile of trash out that has accumulated over the last few days.  I'm now able to drive up to both bay doors, and get about a hood's worth into the shop.  It's a start!

Having my outside goals already met for the day I decided to go inside and spend some time sorting/cleaning.  I found an old metal pallet that had something orange that was motorish....so I dug and found a fairly large Onan generator - guessing it was probably military.  I don't remember this generator and I remember the others, so I'm not sure where the heck this comes from or what's wrong with it.  As you'll see its disassembled, but I also found "NEW" pistons and rods laying in the mix.  So I guess a project in flight back in the day?

I was also able to make good progress in the welding area.  I found a two licolns and a miller crackerboxes.  I think I will probably bring the miller home.

My find of the day is a Craftsman commercial belt drive metal band saw.  I don't have a clue off the cuff at dating, and as already stated I refuse to get derailed at the moment with tool drool.  The thought of those days is keeping me going during the grunt phase.

Pictures I took today can be found via the following link http://www.photobucket.com/oilyshopday4

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2012, 05:35:32 PM »

So...when do we get advanced tickets to the Oily Truck and Tractor Museum? LOL

Oh, such a project you have started.......

Come on over, "rusty" - I promise you'll fit right in here.  You may be seeing the rest of the days of my life.  I don't know.

There are more possibilties sitting around there than I suspected.  The JohnDeere is a 40s model, the seat is newer than the tractor and that threw me.  All the tractors and trucks look pretty good and complete.  Now that its getting organized and people see activity over there, hope you can lock it up securely.   Those big shop doors are hung on tracks or hinges?   See a lot of progress, good going.

thanks for the note on that seat - I didn't catch that.  RE: Security - the shop locks up good.  They were fabricators and welders :)  and I'm a deer hunter so I have this handy thing called a portable "game camera".  I installed more than I can count on one hand the day I drove over to look at what I was starting......so If you're going to loot find all cameras or OOPS you're caught.  All I can say to a would be thief is this - this is small town USA and everybody knows everybody's business - if you steal from there and the camera doesn't ID you I will find you via gossip, scrapyards, and pawn shops.....and OH - papaw also had a few hundred TRAPS - so watch out - if the pipe everywhere doesn't break your leg the trap may......and please do it on Sunday, my day of rest, so that I'm not hiding out somewhere at the shop with my SR9 and 17 shots.

it seems to me that you are living all our dreams,,(exhausted or not )  but as i see those old tractors sinkin into the ground an odd thought occurs to me,,totally unrelated,,who or what is keeping the grass and weeds down?

I would agree, Benjy.  I am living my dreams - part of which is getting back to my roots.  I'm very passionate about both things mechanical and things heritage; so this is a particularly fun time for me.  Not dodging your question re: grass rather having a little fun with it (and I wondered who would ask that question).  See if you can find the answer in today's pictures :)