Author Topic: Perfect Handle Frustration  (Read 1604 times)

Offline johnsironsanctuary

• Contributor
  • Super Contributor and Geezer in training
Perfect Handle Frustration
« on: May 19, 2013, 09:28:39 AM »
It is time for me to sell my storage trailer.  The $40 a month fee at the storage yard since 2006 has eaten up most of the value of what is in it. Anyway, I pulled out a couple of Model A blocks that followed me home a few years ago.  One of them was getting a valve job when it got scrapped. I wanted a couple of the NOS Ford Script Valves as wallhangers. I got out one of my trusty Perfect Handle valve spring tools and borrowed the chain from my chain drill. Model A valve springs have to be fully compressed to get the keeper off. The keeper looks like a sombrero with a slot in it. The crown of the 'hat' fits in the end of the spring and there is a mushroom on the end of the valve stem that fits inside the crown of the hat. The problem is that the fork on the end of the PH spring compressor is a little too big for the end of the Ford springs. One side always manages to slip off. Did EC Smith make more than one size? Both of mine are the same.

I just won an old Craftsman big C clamp type compressor on Ebay. It'll be here next week. It was disappointing that a Perfect Handle Tool was not the right tool for the job.

Glad to here that all of the Texans made it through the nasty weather.
Top monkey of the monkey wrench clan

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
Re: Perfect Handle Frustration
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 09:58:43 AM »
I have had a few of those, and still have three complete ones and they all appear to be the same size.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline rusty

Re: Perfect Handle Frustration
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 12:21:15 PM »
Smith's valve lifter predates the model A by ~ 11 years ;P
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.