Author Topic: Oversize Schraeder valve  (Read 1080 times)

Offline t115145

Oversize Schraeder valve
« on: July 01, 2017, 04:31:38 PM »
While metal detecting, I found a sand encrusted chunk of copper.  I gave it the vinegar bath and surprise, out comes something that looks like a nail/spike about as big around as your finger.  So I cleaned it some more and it has a flat head like a nail but with a bulls eye design on it, the shank looks to be threaded and is inscribed with SHRAEDER, on both sides.  I'm well familiar with the typical pneumatic tire valves, but this would be big enough to  fit in one of those monster earth mover tires.  The place where I found it was a former harbor area.  I also found pieces of a copper pad lock. I'll try to get some pics up after the next cleaning session.

Any Ideas??

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
Re: Oversize Schraeder valve
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 04:58:47 PM »
I don't know if this will help or not.

http://www.schraderinternational.com/~/media/Schrader/Files/Document%20Library%20PDFs/North%20America/Valve%20Core%20Brochure.ashx

I seem to remember that the tires on our scrapers used a large bore valve, otherwise it would have taken forever to fill those big tires.

It seems to me that the air chuck had the standard size on one end and the big one on the other.

Mike
Check out my ETSY store at: OldeTymeTools

Offline t115145

Re: Oversize Schraeder valve
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 08:52:58 PM »
Thanks Mike.  Its starting to make sense now.