Author Topic: Classic Milwaukee 1/2" Magnum Hole Shooter  (Read 3936 times)

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
Classic Milwaukee 1/2" Magnum Hole Shooter
« on: March 22, 2014, 07:31:52 PM »
Fir 10 bucks
  This never happens to me. A tool this good is always out of my price range, even used.
I see them frequently but always for more than this traffic can bear.

But there is was, on a table, 10 bucks on it. Didn't even have to haggle.
 Except, well, there was a little more to it this time.

I got this drill at a yard sale for 10 bucks. It was beyond filthy. Rode hard at a mill of some kind and left in a corner greasy mungy scratched ugly. Beat like a rented mule this drill.

The guy who sold it to me actually concealed certain facts.
 It had a bad pigtail of a cord on it when I met it. He said he had another cord and had tried it and the drill actually worked.

Cords are available for this drill. Nice cords.  10 footers, fine neoprene covers.
Great cords.       
 For 30 bucks apiece! Plus postage!!

So I took the short pigtail and figured out why it wasn't working. This has the twist lock lug on top. You can't get past that twist lock with any other cord btw. You just have to have it.
  The wires were broken off ----inside--- the heavy rubber cord protector.
 I had to perform open plug surgery.

I cut a long incision down the length of the rubber cord protector. Cutting through without nicking the wires inside is not easy.  I got down to the actual broken wires.
 I cut them into three different lengths so my splices wouldn't overlap. I made the 3 splices. (I don't know how I got along before I got those crimpers. ) 
  I got out my heat shrink tubing and a hot melt glue gun.

I opened the rubber overprotector again (it springs back so you have to re-pry it open) then hosed in hot melt generously. Enough to fill the cavity and ooze out well. 
  Then while it was still hot I slid the heat shrink tubing over over top and squirted a little more hot melt glue in the ends of that. 

I had my heat gun ready and hit the repair with plenty of heat. The heat shrunk the heat shrink, as it remelted the hot melt glue, and it all sucked in to became a rather solid brick with glue oozing out both ends.

Some scorching of finger is unavoidable, but not bad, if you are fast and chicken about it.

Next I grabbed about 6 feet of decent wire and put a good old 3 prong plug on the end.
 Spliced to to my repaired pigtail.
  Plugged it in and gave it a try.

It ran strong, but the switch was bad, so it had 2 speeds. Go and stop. Forward only, no reverse.  This drill was intended to go forward and reverse, variable speed.   

I had to hunt down and purchase a switch for it. Milwaukee has a replacement for this old drill. Its different and takes some finagling, but it works.
 Milwaukee has turned their replacement parts department over to private enterprise. So when you click on Milwalkee parts you get directed to Parts-R-Us or something. But there are a lot of dealers handling Milwaukee parts now, so you can take your pick.
So I bought the switch, not cheap. Around 20 bucks or so, ouch!! 

Well it runs!
  Psycho, rip both your arms off, power.
 Holy crap these drill have torque! These particular drills were almost never sold to individuals, they were so expensive.  Other peoples money.
 I know they are made and sold now, but its not the same!
 Milwaukee has moved overseas and while they are decent tools and much easier to get and more affordable now, these old ones were just the quill.   

I had to make a wood side handle of course. These drills are outright dangerous without proper hand holds.  I have been hurt by drills like this in the past.

Oh the surface crud was so deep and hard and well seated that I had or take straight gasoline and a very fine wire brush and work it in a circle to cut it.  2 or 3 rounds of this, and then the same thing with waterless hand cleaner.
  And finally linseed oil/paint thinner/ wax mix, wiped well afterwards and left in the sun to dry a few hours. 
  Last of all was finding and ordering a new chuck key. 4 with shipping was the cheapest I could find. Its Chinese but it fits really well. If it holds up I'll be delighted. 

It was only 10 bucks to start but it was some project.   
  Only
    yours Scott

PS The second drill in the pic I also got that day for 3 or 4 dollars. Its a crappy Sears 3 amp drill and it had a broken chuck so I took a chuck off the dead body of a cheap battery drill, and mounted that.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 08:02:46 PM by scottg »

Offline Nolatoolguy

Re: Classic Milwaukee 1/2" Magnum Hole Shooter
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 10:49:13 AM »
I really love the millwakee drills. I actually love almost any millwakee tool.

I had millwakee like yours photoed. I got a new one for Christmas, big difference in the two. There both great drills. Only real advadge of my new one is the twist lock cord. Keyless chuck is nice most of the time, only been a few times I didn't like it.

You really want a wrist breaker you got to check out there right angle super whole hawg. Its a beast, an scares me at times.

For ten bucks even if it needed a little work that's not a bad deal.

Theres a old picture of my new millwakee magnum. Its got a few more scars on it since I took the picture but performs flawlessly.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 10:55:14 AM by Nolatoolguy »
And I'm proud to be an American,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood

Offline JessEm

• MinneSNOWta
Re: Classic Milwaukee 1/2" Magnum Hole Shooter
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 11:31:02 PM »
I too am a fan of Milwaukee tools. And you've convinced me to pick-up the next slightly older, USA made Milwaukee I see.

I suspect the Hilti drill I purchased like-new off Craigslist originated from Homie Depot, as it feels cheap and is clearly not up to Hilti's standards.
Vintage Power Tools WANTED: Porter Cable 500 belt sander, beam saws (circular saws with 10"+ blades) including Mall Saw 120, Skil 127, Makita 5402A & 8190039, B&D, ETC...