Author Topic: mystery scroll saw  (Read 2576 times)

Offline abigloon

mystery scroll saw
« on: October 20, 2012, 08:33:01 AM »
I have a scroll saw that I recently purchased on Craigslist. There is no label or plate indicating the Make and Model. The induction motor drives the saw by piston instead of a belt. The saw blade that was in it when purchased was 6-7 inches long that stumped the Lowes employee but then he was not as knowledgeable as I had hoped. What is it?

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
Re: mystery scroll saw
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 08:37:30 AM »
Welcome to Tool Talk!
I would look on the bottom and under the cover. I'm guessing the info on the top is only operating instructions?
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline abigloon

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 08:49:34 AM »
no label on the bottom (original post said no labels or manufacture plates). the sticker on the cover is merely a warning for liabilities.

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 08:55:44 AM »
Sometimes just casting marks can be clues.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline johnsironsanctuary

• Contributor
  • Super Contributor and Geezer in training
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 10:51:18 AM »
I'm thinking that these guys might know more than us wrench guys. Not that we don't have our share of woodworkers, but the group linked below is really in to it.  Welcome from Wisconsin. Show us pictures of you wood tools.

http://www.scroll-saw-forum.com/
Top monkey of the monkey wrench clan

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 11:30:32 AM »
I have a scroll saw that I recently purchased on Craigslist. There is no label or plate indicating the Make and Model.

It looks kind of Asian/Taiwanese to me.

The saw blade that was in it when purchased was 6-7 inches long that stumped the Lowes employee but then he was not as knowledgeable as I had hoped.

Let this be a lesson to you.  The big boxy stores are not famous for encouraging their employees to be knowledgeable.  Some are - some people just can't help being enthusiastic about what they do for a living - but it seems to be the person, rather than the store.

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 11:44:46 AM »
 I am thinking, 1970's, probably a house brand saw, from JC Penney, Monkey Ward's or something similar. Just by the style of it. Imported is almost certain.  Japan maybe. 

They all use a piston or at least a crank and sliding block, to drive the blade.
 No belt means direct drive, one speed. Probably too fast.
  Or rather a speed only suitable for very thin, very light stock.
  Many saws were made this way since the invention of the electric jigsaw.  Puzzles, toys or trim from 1/4" stock and thinner, the only real use.

The blade is likely a normal 6" coping saw blade with pin ends, unless there is another blade clamping scheme I can't see from here? Thousands of jigsaws use 5" pin end blades.

I can't believe you went to a warehouse store and asked questions about a jigsaw?? heeheh
   Asking any employee a serious question in one of those places is tantamount to child abuse, you know.
 They hire them off the street for minimum wage and none of them works there long enough to learn much.  Where is the bathroom or the front door? Is about the extent of knowledge you can expect in a warehouse.  Asking them questions just irritates them, and wastes your own time.

There are ac drivers now that can control the speed of the motor.
  Until fairly recently ac drives were so expensive only industry could have them. But lately the price has finally come down for fractional horsepower motors.
 With a slower speed you can cut thicker stock and the blade won't overheat and lose its temper, go dull in a heartbeat and/or break, near so often.
   yours Scott
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 08:14:03 PM by scottg »

Offline RedVise

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 03:23:51 PM »
    There are ac drivers now that can control the speed of the motor.
  Until fairly recently ac drives were so expensive only industry could have them. But lately the price has finally come down for fractional horsepower motors.
 With a slower speed you can cut thicker stock and the blade won't overheat and lose its temper, go dull in a heartbeat and/or break, near so often.
   yours Scott
[/i]

aBigLoon, That is why you come to Tool Talk !!

You get a pretty good guess based on the supplied  info, a reference where to possibly find more data, a little commentary on the big box stores, and a suggestion to make yours function better.

Welcome, and enjoy the forum !

Brian L.