Author Topic: general purpose screw plate id help  (Read 5785 times)

Offline Billman49

• Collector of edged tools, especially billhooks...
    • A Load of Old Billhooks
Re: general purpose screw plate id help
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2014, 04:57:51 AM »
Are the taps or the dies engraved HSS - if High Speed Steel this will be a good usable set - if not they are probably only carbon steel - less durable and fairly quick to blunt... The former is used on professional tool for long life and heavy usage, the latter for home /DIY/occasional use... Dormer and Presto were the top two UK makers of taps and dies.

For information, HSS is an alloy steel, containing tungsten first created by Mushet in Sheffield in 1868 (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mushet_steel) - since then its formula has been frequently improved. It is a self hardening steel, that doesn't need quenching, and will continue to cut for a while even when approaching red heat (on a lathe or drill).

(High) carbon steels are those containing 0.8 to 1.2% carbon - they can be hardened, and if not tempered remain very hard, but brittle - for taps and dies they are in this state - so cut well, but soon blunt and will easily break if over-stressed... More recently this quality of tool is made in other (non HSS) alloy steels to improve toughness and wear resistance - they are heat treated to obtain a good balance between hardness, durabilty and toughness.....

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
Re: general purpose screw plate id help
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2014, 02:13:10 PM »
Chilly,

Just curious...

What did you apprentice in?

Aren't you currently in systems?

Fire protection - apprenticed as a sprinkler fitter, by the time I became a journeyman I was mostly in the office. Kept my card and collective bargaining benefits until unrestricted benefits at 15 yrs.  Switched to corporate benefits after that but I still pay dues and maintain active status though.   

Been designing and sellimg for 27 of my 32 yrs in so far.  In the last 10 yrs or so I have been designing alarm & detection, also.  Certificates in most special hazards, I've been doing those since I started in 1982.

It's been a great trade for me.

Chilly