Author Topic: BOG Manufacturing Company  (Read 2131 times)

lzenglish

BOG Manufacturing Company
« on: August 12, 2011, 05:13:30 PM »
I may have posted this a couple of years ago, but I'm not sure. AA has some good information on this Company, and they made Automotive tools in the 20's, and 30's, and sold them at Western Auto. Anyone have any of this brand, and or any more info on them? I found them while cleaning up my un-organized "Pile".

Also this handle has a nice New Britian Machine Company mark on it with, "Handle Lock Socket Set" on it. So it may or may not have came with this group originally, I'm thinking probable not? Any thoughts or additional info. much appreciated.

Thanks,

Wayne
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 08:23:49 PM by lzenglish »

Offline Fins/413

Re: BOG Manufacturing Company
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 05:16:56 PM »
Those Bogs are unusual to me anyway. I think I have one socket.
1959 Chrysler New Yorker
1982 E150 Ford van

Offline rusty

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 06:40:11 PM »

AA has somewhat more Bog into than they had before...

Are the sockets 7/16 drive? Bog had a handle set in a box that had sockets that look just like those, so yes, perhaps someone lost the handle and used a NB one to replace it. There was a thread on the old forum about the HandleLock handles at one point. I have one somewhere...

The sockets on it looked New Britain like...

Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

lzenglish

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 07:23:08 PM »
Yes, they are 7/16" drive. What does BOG stand for, if anything?

Wayne

Offline rusty

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 07:36:03 PM »
>What does BOG stand for, if anything?

Interesting question, have never even seen any speculation on that. It is interesting that Ben and George Pepperdine are brothers tho, perhaps where the B and G came from? (Tho George was busy founding Western Auto) And that leaves the 'O'...

Or perhaps the factory was simply in a swamp....
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

lzenglish

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 08:22:17 PM »
[quote author=rusty link=topic=1171.msg6861#msg6861 date=13131957
It is interesting that Ben and George Pepperdine are brothers tho, perhaps where the B and G came from? (Tho George was busy founding Western Auto) And that leaves the 'O'...
Or perhaps the factory was simply in a swamp....
[/quote]

Could be any of the above. After reading your reply to my first post, I took another look at AA's fine site. They have allot more BOG Information than I thought they did, so I had to remove my first comment of very little information, to some good Information. AA is, and has been the top of the line re-search site for me since I started collecting, and they do a "Fantastic Job". As  a matter of fact, they have 2, or 3 of my tool pictures which I sent them. I had to clear that up, and now, I shall continue my hunt for the real BOG meaning ! Lol

Offline stanley62

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 08:27:09 PM »
Those look very similar to the Sedgley patent (1289558 Dec. 31, 1918) that I found a while back.  I believe that mine was marketed by New Britain.  My guess is that the sockets are the same drive, but may not have come with the hex key.

Jim
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 08:29:41 PM by stanley62 »
Always looking for Stanley planes and parts, Mossberg and Plomb wrenches.

lzenglish

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 09:41:36 PM »
Yes, they do look somewhat similar. It seems this pattern was very popular back in the 30's, as Indestro, Duro, BOG, etc. shows. Thanks for the pat. date.

Wayne