Author Topic: Stanley Bullnose Rabbet Plane #75  (Read 1625 times)

Trish

Stanley Bullnose Rabbet Plane #75
« on: June 04, 2014, 08:22:12 PM »
Hi there,

I am new to this forum and after some guidance and advice I have a Stanley Bullnose Rabbet #75 Plane that is stamped inside the casing 188 still in its box. I believe this was made in the USA but cannot find that marked anywhere on the box or the plane itself.  I am trying to put a value on it.  Can someone help me with that. Thanks in advance

Offline bear_man

Re: Stanley Bullnose Rabbet Plane #75
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 01:26:21 AM »
John Walter's latest edition of "Antique & Collectible Stanley Tools Guide to Identity & Value" would go a long, long way in that direction for you. Of course, there's no accounting for the quirks of, say, bidders at auction. (Me included: when I see something I want, I buy it whatever the cost because it's not commonly found.)  My copy is his second edition, 1996, but he's issued a third — I think last year — that I heard about too late to get a copy.  Darn it.

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
Re: Stanley Bullnose Rabbet Plane #75
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 02:07:16 PM »
I'll be marked on the blade, near the top.
 Either one of the Stanley USA marks, or Stanley England.

The age and condition of the box will determine value. Boxes, especially old ones in mint condition, always have some value

Otherwise the plane itself sells for under $20, no matter what age.
  Well maybe a slight premium for type 1, and a discount below that for England.
 But that's about it.

#75's were inexpensive when new, and made in enormous numbers.
 So there are tens of thousands still available.
    yours Scott