Author Topic: 1 weeks finds  (Read 1338 times)

Offline john k

• Contributor
1 weeks finds
« on: July 07, 2013, 09:45:52 PM »
On the 4th of July, we stopped at the antique mall, sale going on.   I noticed prices were marked down, plus a 15% reduction across the board for the sale.   First I pulled a Wico distributor cap out of a glass case, is for my John Deere B.  There was a bundle of files, wrapped and tied with string, $1.50, all Nicholson.  A good .50 cal. ammo can for $ 7.00.   A 7 inch long Stilson pipe wrench with wood handle, for $4.  Older oil can with cap attached to spout $2.  A Yankee North Bros. screwdriver model 135, $4 and I don't have that one yet.  Then spied a wood grain carpenters tool box, covered in tin, good condition, very clean inside, will hold 2 handsaws in the lid.  It is of the same brand and but different series as one I got last summer.   Also got a Disston hand saw D-100 straight no rust, etch visible and tote in near perfect shape, a little pricier, but best I've seen in a year or two.   Then stopped at a garage sale just a block from work, during the week.  Turns out this was a get rid of everything we're moving sale.  Got 3 buck saws for a dollar per, complete, not rusty.  A Monarch breast drill that may be unused!   Dirty as could be, but even the paint is nice underneath.   $2.   Then yesterday, Sat. stopped at a mini flea in town.  Excess stuff picked up from sales.  Box of a dozen screwdrivers, and misc.   Box of a dozen pliers and misc.  2 no.4 planes.   2 quart oil spout type oil cans, 3 pump oilers, a mini oil can.   A large yellow 1940s fog lamp.  In the boxes were odd fasteners, some mini tools, and something kinda unusual.   A white plastic box the size of an Iphone, SCHICK electric shaver lube kit.   Tiny screwdriver inside, a tube of lube, and a tiny clear plastic bottle of  fine oil.   Then the MACK truck special tool.   Spent about 12 dollars there.  Not sure there are any great deals out there*.  Now I'm trying to figure out where to put all this stuff.  Am going to stay home next weekend. 
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline fflintstone

• Former master curmudgeon
Re: 1 weeks finds
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 04:48:43 AM »
Any more $7 for a .50 ammo can is a good price. I remember them 4 for $10.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 11:51:48 AM »
Sounds like alot of good stuff to me!
I snag ammo cans whenever I can. Since the military is no longer using the metal cans they will disappear and prices will skyrocket.
And a buck or two for a tool in good condition is my price!lol
Ratchet Guru

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 07:38:12 PM »
I use those ammo cans to store various rarely needed hand tools in the bed of my truck.  I was installing a draw pull ironing board today - needing a peter level - found one in an ammo can in the truck.  Almost never use the things but was glad today I had stashed it (and it was out of the rain).

I'd like to see pictures of the wood grain carpenters tool box.
"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 10:50:59 PM »
Not to hijack the thread, but, I like ammo cans for my vehicle first aid kits. Plenty big enough, tough, easy to fit in a corner...and waterproof!
Ratchet Guru

Offline Ken W.

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 09:45:09 PM »
The price of ammo cans have skyrocketed .$10.00 is now reasonable here in NY. Where was this antique mall ?

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 10:18:58 PM »
This was right down the road from me in Omaha, Ne.    The last gun show I was at the rusty ones were priced at 17, good ones at 20-30.   They make great carry around tool boxes.  Got my main truck go- to tools in a .50 can.  Am still cleaning and sorting.   Put the pump oilers in the cooker at work, sure does knock off the dried gunk.  This is soap and hot water, not acid.   Found a nice little unused air brush spray gun in the mess of stuff. 
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline rustynbent

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 10:25:37 PM »
I use those ammo cans to store various rarely needed hand tools in the bed of my truck.  I was installing a draw pull ironing board today - needing a peter level - found one in an ammo can in the truck.  Almost never use the things but was glad today I had stashed it (and it was out of the rain).

I'd like to see pictures of the wood grain carpenters tool box.

"- needing a peter level -"  ???  Never tried to level mine????

John;   You have an extra dozen beds for the next 4th week-end?  Bet you could have a lot of us over if you do.  Nice haul on the tools, I enjoy hearing about others good outings. 
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 10:31:36 PM by rustynbent »