Author Topic: 2 post vises for sale...HELP  (Read 3753 times)

Offline Nolatoolguy

2 post vises for sale...HELP
« on: July 26, 2012, 04:21:40 PM »
I found a guy selling 2 post vises as shown in the pictures. Any tips on buying them. Ime intrested in buying expecially at the price hes asking. my first post vise I just know nothing about them. Any advice appreciated.

And I'm proud to be an American,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood

Offline leg17

Re: 2 post vises for sale...HELP
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 05:09:09 PM »
They look complete with bench mount bracket and leaf spring.
The handles are in pretty good shape too.
If the threads on the screw AND in the "box", or internal threads in the 'nut', are OK, I would jump on them if the price is all right.
Maybe $125 or so for the pair is a pretty good price.
They should get that on fleabay but you would have to add shipping, which is often another $50 each.
Heavier us usually better, so the upper one in the picture is the more desirable.
Of course price is whatever they are worth to you.
After all, they are right in front of you with no shipping.
If you can get them both for a good price, and you don't have room for both, you shouldn't have much trouble selling or trading.
I'm in Kentucky and I already have nine leg vises, but for $125 the pair, I would snatch em'.
They squarish form of the legs suggest that they are later models, and should have lathe turned threads.
That's a good thing.

Offline mrchuck

• Contributor
  • retired Federal LEO Ranger
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 05:14:09 PM »
Make sure the threads are not buggered up, and open and close ok.
Look for any crack lines or broken parts.
Make sure the flat plate that holds the vise to the top of the bench hasn't been broken.
This type vise is very popular with the blacksmith crowd.
The post takes the vertical energy directly to the floor. The post foot MUST sit upon the floor!, then bolted to the bench.

Good find there.
Molon Labe

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 05:28:09 PM »
I'd say by the pair and keep the better one, use the other for trade or sale.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline keykeeper

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 05:50:54 PM »
I'm with Papaw, buy both, keep the best one. Flip the other for profit, or if you get them cheap enough, one will pay for the other.

They both look good. Typical price is right in line with what leg17 said. Most in the 3-1/2 inch to 5 inch jaw range go for between $45-60 each, maybe a little more depending on condition or maker. When you start getting into 6 inch or larger, they usually command a premium price.

Make sure the jaws meet evenly, in addition to what mrchuck said about condition.

Good luck, buddy!!
-Aaron C.

My vintage tool Want list:
Wards Master Quality 1/2" drive sockets (Need size 5/8), long extension, & speeder handle.
-Vlchek WB* series double box wrenches.
-Hinsdale double-box end round shank wrenches.

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 08:43:39 PM »
Two?   One for each end of the bench maybe!   Remember, the width of the jaw is the telling part, not the wide open measurement.   Be sure to list the weight of each should you resell, it helps give the buyer a good idea as to mass.   Having the mounting plate, and the spring is great, so often they are gone or damaged beyond.  Looks like the leg has the small bolster/bulge too, the ones I saw in use they would have a steel plate on the floor, with the tip of the leg poking thru.   
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Nolatoolguy

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 09:58:28 PM »
Thanks guys. I sent the guy a email earlier(on craigslist said emails only) an just waiting for a response. Even though its a 45 minute drive Ime very intrested for 50 bucks.
~Lee Greenwood

Offline Branson

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 07:26:09 AM »
If you can afford to, get them both.  You can't go wrong having two.

Offline leg17

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 09:58:59 AM »
Thanks guys. I sent the guy a email earlier(on craigslist said emails only) an just waiting for a response. Even though its a 45 minute drive Ime very intrested for 50 bucks.

Did you 'git-er-done'??

Offline Nolatoolguy

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 12:53:03 PM »

Did you 'git-er-done'??

I am waiting on a email they guy emailed me about price an then I emailed back saying ide take them an when would be a good time for me to come get them he hasnt responded yet. Hes also got my number. Hopefully he calls or emails soon.
~Lee Greenwood

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 04:53:53 PM »

Did you 'git-er-done'??
I dont do e-mail, if the guy dont want to give his number than I pass, it usually means hes fishin

I am waiting on a email they guy emailed me about price an then I emailed back saying ide take them an when would be a good time for me to come get them he hasnt responded yet. Hes also got my number. Hopefully he calls or emails soon.
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.

Offline Nolatoolguy

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2012, 12:57:13 PM »
Ime a little irrtated at myself forn not seeing it sooner. Just talked to the guy, said there is a sale pending already. He will contact me if it falls through he said.

~Lee Greenwood