Author Topic: "Fun" Rules  (Read 2445 times)

Offline Stan D

• Fairfax VA
"Fun" Rules
« on: July 16, 2016, 12:25:16 PM »
Or maybe the title should be "Advertising" Rules.  Remember when hardware stores and the like gave away yard sticks, emblazoned with their name?  A sign of the times, our local hardware store sells them.  And as I come across some of mine, I'll post pics.  But to start, I found some that are a bit smaller.  These came from a shop I was asked to help clean out last year.  I was not aware of 6" give aways like these.

The Westcott isn't quite a give away, but I included it anyway.  It has the metal edge on it.

Any advertising rulers in your shop?
Go Metric, every inch of the way

Online Bill Houghton

Re: "Fun" Rules
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 03:32:53 PM »
I've got several 6" pocket machinist's rules, very thin but high quality - spring-tempered and the measurements are accurate as measured against my Starrett and Lufkin rules.  I was a tad surprised by the quality, but then realized that a company that handed out junk to machinists - who would immediately check the rules against their standards to see if they'd be useful - wouldn't get repeat business.

Too many burning chainsaws in the air right now for a photo.

Offline swervncarz

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 07:13:59 PM »
I see them around, I know I  have one from a local farm/nursery store but this is the one I save... My grandfather had these made when he ran for district Governor of the Lion's Club in Philadelphia

Offline Stan D

• Fairfax VA
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 11:42:24 PM »
That's cool.  It's one thing to advertise a business.  He must have really wanted that position. I did not see that coming.

So, my camera doesn't do panoramic, so I couldn't get in close enough AND get the whole thing in.

I'm not sure the Craftsman is a giveaway. It has a part number. It's interesting how you can get an idea of age by the phone number.  The Broyhill Supply has it as "JAckson 5-4600(as I type that,it hit me, Jackson 5!).  The Fairfax Furniture one is just numbers, no area code.  I don't know about the more rural areas, but we've had to use 10 digit dialing for almost 20 years.  The Weatherman Aluminum Supply has the area code, but also says, "Out of town, call collect".  How quaint. No number on the S.S. Kresge.

Now here's a odd one. I'd have sworn my Mom or Dad bought this one. It's not thin and flat, it's 5/8" square. I've always used it to measure snow. But in getting out the others for pics, I realized it too is a giveaway.  From a bank.  The phone listed is all numbers, no area code.

Go Metric, every inch of the way

Offline amecks

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 07:30:02 AM »
From my desk drawer, frequently used...
seems to be a Philadelphia address...

Al
Jordan, NY

Offline swervncarz

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2016, 07:54:34 AM »
That's cool.  It's one thing to advertise a business.  He must have really wanted that position. I did not see that coming.

He also ran a funeral business... I have all sorts of advertising stuff that he had made... Ashtrays, combs, fly swatters, thermometers, match books

Offline swervncarz

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2016, 11:24:36 PM »

Offline RedVise

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 11:20:37 AM »
I tend to grab yardsticks when I see them, 12" rulers also.
Keep thinking I will put them on a table top when I have enough and pour a polyurethane table top !

Brian

Offline HeelSpur

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2016, 06:02:58 PM »
I passed up on 12 yard sticks for $5 yesterday and I somewhat collect them.
Vendor wasn't at his table when I got there and if I knew it was his stuff I never would of stopped.
A very arrogant prick he is.
RooK E

Offline Yadda

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2016, 08:04:35 PM »
I tend to grab yardsticks when I see them, 12" rulers also.
Keep thinking I will put them on a table top when I have enough and pour a polyurethane table top !

Brian

I've seen walls covered with yard sticks. 
You might say I have a tool collecting problem....