Author Topic: Another (heavy) item from work.  (Read 1014 times)

Offline amecks

Another (heavy) item from work.
« on: February 14, 2022, 07:07:12 PM »
While cleaning and organizing the shop at St Joseph's Cemetery I had to move this, so I cleaned off all the dust and dirt.  It is solid metal, very heavy, and looks as though it was dug up out of the dirt.  It must be some type of anvil, but for what purpose, what trade?  There's still one more person at work that may know where it came from, and I'll ask him tomorrow.
You can see the 12" straightedge for size comparison.  Along with the various shapes are two holes.  One hole is maybe 1//2 to 5/8 wide and about an inch or so deep.  (There are other things that look like holes but they are just smaller concave depressions just like the large depressions).  In the second photo, above the largest concave depression is the other hole - a little larger round than the one on the other side - but this hole curves in toward the center of the object.  It extends into the metal in a curve about 3 inches deep.  Would this have been a casting flaw? 
What the heck is this thing? 

Al
Jordan, NY

Offline Yadda

Re: Another (heavy) item from work.
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2022, 09:03:11 PM »
I believe it is a swage for forming metal.  Decent shape probably worth a nice chunk of change if you find the right buyer.
You might say I have a tool collecting problem....

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2022, 09:31:47 PM »
It is a shaping block or Swage block.   Multiple shapes to make forging easier.  Many different styles of blocks, some have a spoon pattern cast in, to make spoons, what else.   Got an old generic model myself, weighs about 75lbs.    Nice find, odd place to find it.   May have been left behind by the crew that fabricated the gates?
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline amecks

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2022, 12:15:23 PM »
Thanks guys!  It does indeed have two oval "spoons", one like a teaspoon and the other like a large serving spoon.  I suppose the large circles could make ladles.  So Mitch, my boss and Mike, my supervisor, have been there the longest and they said that piece was on the workbench since they started there.
I hace it cleaned up and put it in a nice spot on the workbench.  I am sure I will get to use it before long.
Al
Al
Jordan, NY

Offline international3414

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2022, 03:01:00 PM »
interesting artifact,do they dig all winter there?,its been tough here in ct.,we did rip out 30" of frost with a jd 310 + ripper tooth...pure misery

Offline amecks

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2022, 07:41:56 PM »
  Yes, they dig in the winter.  No ripper tooth on the backhoe, though.  They were having some difficulty a few weeks ago.  The boss bought an electric breaker (jackhammer) that they can use with their portable generator.  I got a handtruck and outfitted it to hold the breaker and bits.  I don't think it was 30 inches of frost but I don't know for sure.
  The area was settled in the early 1790 - 1800's and there was at least one home on this property that I know of.  I'm sure this swage was dug up somewhere on the property, although it's probably not all that old.
Al
Jordan, NY

Offline JoeCB

• Contributor
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2022, 10:01:00 PM »
Nice old swage block.  I think it's pretty old, looks like it has seen lot of hard use.

Joe B

Offline wvtools

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2022, 05:29:00 PM »
It should be worth 150-250.  I am not up on current prices, but I assume they are higher than the last time I sold one.  Anvil prices are a lot higher.

Online gibsontool

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2022, 08:12:05 PM »
I sold a 4" thick 16" x 16" swage block last fall for $400 Canadian (that's about $300 USD) which I found out later was a great deal for the buyer, and, it was in real good condition. The buyer was a good guy who really seemed to know what he was doing, so it went to a good home. I'm happy cause I only used it maybe 3 or 4 times in the last 15 years.

Offline amecks

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2022, 09:39:07 PM »
Wow.  that's a lot of loot.  This thing looks better in the photos than in person.  It really looks like it was dug up out of the ground.  Probably not up to full potential value. 

It will sit on the bench where it has sat for years, however, I will use it from time to time I am sure.  And the bench it sits on has been cleaned up (probably for first time in decades), with the block sitting in a place of easy access.
Al
Jordan, NY