Author Topic: Part A of garage sale  (Read 873 times)

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
Part A of garage sale
« on: August 08, 2020, 12:11:45 PM »
The ad said "come early" for an 8:00 sale, so I was there at 6:30, they were already set up and selling!!! I was the second tool buyer there!! Stratton Bros. 6" Rosewood Level, Stanley No. 12 ( no blade), Stanley No. 80 England, Unmarked Brass Plumb Bob with reel (hoping it is a Stanley) , and 2 Stanley No. 32 One Foot Four Fold Rulers with Caliper, one stamped English Metric .
The other is stamped Special Metric N.Y.CITY APP.TYPE 352 SERIAL F.2 English . Both are also stamped STANLEY MADE  IN USA.The rulers are in exceptional condition, as were most of the other tools that I bought, owner did estate sales, and had a very good eye for tools. Regards, Lou
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Online Bill Houghton

Re: Part A of garage sale
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2020, 02:42:32 PM »
Nice gets, all.  That little 6" level is sweet.  I spent a while hoping I'd find one, until I tested the level vials on some extra combo square heads, found they were accurate, and dedicated a couple of them to level duty for those uncommon times when I need a short level.

Are you going to tell us what you paid, so we can be yet more envious, or did the seller know what they were worth but you paid anyway?

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2020, 03:09:38 PM »
Hello, Bill. Thanks!! Seller was savvy, we negotiated to a bit lower than what was marked, ( total ) $140.00, I ended up buying at $100.00 ( total) . I had already spent a bit of money on "Part B of a garage sale" , which I will be posting soon!!. Thanks, Lou

Offline Yadda

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2020, 06:02:33 PM »
All great buys.  Love those Stanley 32's.
You might say I have a tool collecting problem....

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2020, 06:12:45 PM »
Hello, yadda. Thanks, I don't think they are often seen with those markings.Regards, Lou

Online Bill Houghton

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2020, 10:53:21 AM »
It's interesting how often Stanley used the same number - 32 in this case - as model numbers for different tool lines.  The No. 32 Stanley plane is one of the "transitional" wood body/metal adjustment castings.  I've seen it in other Stanley tools.

Given how cheap it is to acquire numbers, and how many there are, you would think Stanley would have kept any given number unique to a particular tool, to avoid any confusion.  Guess it didn't get too much in the way, though, since it's certainly not hard to find Stanley tools.