Author Topic: The approaching Hurricane  (Read 4864 times)

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
Re: The approaching Hurricane
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2017, 12:53:52 PM »
 We are OK. Lots of rain, and still more today. No one in the family evacuated since the storm didn't hit us directly. No one flooded, just a lot of water in the yards. We have weathered lots of hurricanes, so we were as prepared as we could be for this one.
Folks south of us didn't fare so well as we did, especially in the Corpus and Rockport areas.
Houston and surrounding communities are experiencing flooding that exceeds any in recent memory.

Now Harvey threatens to build again because it has moved out into the Gulf of Mexico and is predicted to come ashore again near us!
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline bill300d

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2017, 07:18:41 PM »
were thinkin about you and and Yadda and all the other tool aficionados down there. I know there are a few here and there is a few more over at GG also.
A person who could really read human minds would be privileged to gaze on some correct imitations of chaos.

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2017, 07:32:27 PM »
I will make a half way apology for not reporting sooner. I did post a bunch on Facebook about conditions here in Alvin, just south of Houston.
We never lost power but all the streets flooded around us so we couldn't get out of the neighborhood.We have a room that used to be a garage that my wife sleeps in, and it did get water in it, but it usually does, so we were ready. Her bed got wet, so it is gone, and she has moved into the room I sleep in. Been in separate rooms since 2014 due to medical reasons. She likes to have a TV on all night, so I have a box full of ear plugs just for that reason!
We have seen many hurricanes here and know how to be prepared. All our staples are kept in stock, but we did run low on some stuff. Wednesday we tried to go to the grocery , but water too high all around. Thursday we made it to the store, and today I made a trip to Clear Lake to have my regular blood check.

We  don't feel as much loss as all the folks to the south such as Rockport and Corpus Christi , who lost almost everything.

The flooding in Houston has been epic, record breaking, and sad for many citizens.

Evacuating was not even considered by us. Last and only time we ran from a hurricane was Rita, and the evacuation was worse than the storm. We rode Ike out right here at home and suffered a bit, such as no power for 14 days, but still didn't suffer as much as others.

Offline Yadda

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2017, 10:35:02 PM »
Glad to hear you are okay!   Just up the road we are okay too.  The street flooded twice on Saturday, but was never a serous threat.  Lots of flooding between here and there. The water is still over the road at the front of our subdivision making it necessary to drive a couple of miles out of the way to get around.  We received over 6 feet of rain in just over 4 days.  Critters are also displaced.  I caught a 2 foot gator just down the street.
You might say I have a tool collecting problem....

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2017, 05:36:09 AM »
Glad to hear you guys are ok. I've been thinking about all the folks down there.

We rode out hurricane Andrew in '92, when we lived southwest of Miami, but it was a wind event, with minimal rain. Harvey was kind of the opposite. A rain event with minimal wind.
Given a choice, I think I'll take the wind.

Mike
Check out my ETSY store at: OldeTymeTools

Offline p_toad

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2017, 10:04:21 PM »
Glad to hear you're making it through all that; even with some water losses.   Take care of yourself and family (and your family of tools).   :grin:

Offline turnnut

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2017, 09:17:10 AM »
 Hi Noel,  I've been away for a while and just started to get caught up on tool talk.

was glad to hear that you are A-O-K,  Frank

Offline Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2017, 05:54:02 PM »
I hope all of the Florida, Georgia and South Carolina folks remain safe from the next hurricane heading their way.

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2017, 06:50:50 PM »
I agree. They don't need any hurricane.

Offline bill300d

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2017, 09:50:09 PM »
+2       Mother Nature can be cruel.
A person who could really read human minds would be privileged to gaze on some correct imitations of chaos.

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2017, 09:51:37 AM »
I guess the old saying "plan for the worst, hope for the best" is what I'm doing. Got the storm shutters up, both generators working, 5 gal. of gas and the car full of gas. Oh and a couple cases of water. Should be ok for a few days.

Mike

Offline bill300d

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2017, 10:44:02 AM »
Sounds like your sticking it out. Hoping for the best for you and any others from here.

Offline RedVise

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2017, 05:38:16 AM »
I guess the old saying "plan for the worst, hope for the best" is what I'm doing. Got the storm shutters up, both generators working, 5 gal. of gas and the car full of gas. Oh and a couple cases of water. Should be ok for a few days.

Mike

Mike, I thought about you yesterday, and hoped your fine tool collection is OK !!  Seriously, I hope you and your wife are OK.

I live on a peninsula on a peninsula on the Gulf Coast. We are staying.
I live in a no flood zone on purpose, so no storm surge issues.
Started retrofitting our gable roof house after the 2004 hurricane season. Followed the info from http://www.floridadisaster.org/hrg/ .
Precut plywood is up , water, food and supplies on hand.
Generator with plenty of gas.
Neighbors are staying, we have a good group around here.

Bought ammo for the first time in my life, got to be ready for anything.

Brian

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2017, 09:27:06 AM »
We're between 12-13 ft. high so should be ok. The house was built in 2003 so is supposed to meet the latest hurricane standards...we'll find out.
Good luck Brian! And all the rest of our fellow  Floridians.

Mike

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2017, 10:19:26 AM »
Between 12 and 13' high? As in height off the ground, or sea level?
We are 42" above sea level and the town got lots of flooding.