Author Topic: old unknown tool post wrench  (Read 823 times)

Offline strik9

old unknown tool post wrench
« on: March 18, 2018, 03:30:48 PM »
I have been passing this old guy in the market over a year.  I finally tool ot home.

Sizes are close to 7/8 and 3/4'' , the style is something I have never seen another example of.    That strange offset and crude forging probably point to a wrench that came with a lathe or the like.

No markings of any sort beyond dents and damages from years of use.  Any ideas on a maker or possible machine it came with appreciated.
The only bad tool is the one that couldn't finish the job.  Ironicly it may be the best tool for the next job.

Offline leg17

Re: old unknown tool post wrench
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 04:44:24 PM »
Some wrenches of that shape are called textile wrenches.
The finish looks like the scars of a thousand 'fine adjustments' made on the floor.

Offline strik9

Re: old unknown tool post wrench
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 05:38:20 PM »
In this area we have had sugar production and a heavy dose of railroads requiring machine shops in s big way.  There was no textile industry here until about 40 years ago.  All my old textile wrenches are far older than that,  only one of four was imported.   

The probability is it was used in a machine shop.  It shows wear of s square bolt.

Mexico isn't known for strict adherence to catalog description.
The only bad tool is the one that couldn't finish the job.  Ironicly it may be the best tool for the next job.